Status: Up and Running

Living Life in a Downward Spiral

Chapter 1

"Where's Stefanie?" I asked Greg.

He shrugged. "I don't know. Moping around somewhere." I threw one of the couch pillows at him. "What was that for?"

"Do you even care about her?"

"Hey, she's your sister, not mine. Plus, haven't you noticed how much she's pulled away from everyone lately? It's her problem if she wants to be like that."

I sighed, growing agitated with my cousin. "Whatever, I'll go see if one of the girls know."

"Good luck with that."

I flipped him the bird as I walked up the stairs. I knocked on the first door I came too, hoping Sara was in there.

"What's up, Deen?" She asked as soon as she opened the door.

"Have you seen Stef?"

She frowned. "Not since earlier. Why? Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to spend some time with her before..."

"Oh, you mean before you ditch all of us?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"It's called college, Sar. And is that how you guys are looking at it?"

"Kinda. I think Stef is the one taking it the hardest, though."

"Sorry that I'm the oldest." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Well, if you find her and after you're done talking to her, send her up here. Kaly and I wanted to spend some time with her too. She's been pretty distant lately."

"That's what Greg just said..." I mumbled to myself. "Do you have any clue as to where she might be? Any new hang outs?"

"Deen, we're at a cabin in the woods. There aren't a lot of places she can go. By herself at least."
"Thanks for the help."

There's only one more source...

"Dani! Katy!" I yelled for the twins.

Two pairs of little feet came running up the stairs. "What'd we do this time?" Dani asked.

I laughed. "Nothing... Yet. Why? Do you have a guilty mind?"

"Nope!" They said at the same time.

I eyed them closely. "Mhm. Anyways, do you guys know where Stef is at?"

"Last I saw her, she said she was going for a walk." Katy said, shrugging. "Then she headed off into the trees. She's really brave to go for a walk in those by herself..."

"She what?!" Before they could blink, I was down the stairs, trying to find one of the parents.

"Uncle Matt!" He was closest I saw, sitting with Aunt Leana and Uncle Johnny.

"What's wrong, Deen?" He asked, confused.

"Stef went out to the woods on her own. That must have been hours ago since no one has seen her since this morning. Katy said she was just going for a walk, then headed into the woods."

"Dammit." He cursed under his breath, standing up. "Leana, go get the others. Johnny, come with me."

I swear... When my sister got back, we were going to have a long talk. That's after the parents got a hold of her, that is.

"What's going on?" Kaly asked as I ran past her.

"Stef went into the woods by herself."

"What?!"

Hey, even though it was only Big Bear, there could still be creepers or wild life out there that could get her. I worried about my little sister.

*Stefanie's P.O.V.*

I sat on the rock, looking out at the lake. It was so beautiful and peaceful here. Not like back home where everything was always on the go, or something like that.

Lately I've gotten into a cycle where I get up, do what I need to, then go home and stay in my room. No one's seemed to notice, and that's fine with me. Considering how tight knit our family is, I was surprised no one had figured anything out by now.

I sighed, standing up from the rock. Guess I should get back.

As soon as I walked in sight of the cabin, I saw everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Now what was wrong?

"Stefanie Anna Baker."

I was in for it now...
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! I was going to post it after I finished The Last Night, but I changed my mind... As you can see... Comment and tell me if it's a keeper or not!