Somewhere in the Middle

Oh I'm shakin' in my boots

Riley and I were sitting in our room we shared. We were both supposed to be down meeting parents because today was adoption day. Instead here we are playing our acoustic guitars and singing. 

“Yeah, you've been alone
I've been gone for far too long
But with all that we've been through
After all this time I'm coming home to you
Never let it show
The pain I've grown to know
’Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you
I reach towards the sky I've said my goodbyes
My heart's always with you now
I won't question why so many have died
My prayers have made it through yeah
’Cause with all these things we do
It don't matter when I'm coming home to you." Riley and I finished singing only to hear clapping from the doorway.

“Hayley and Riley I want you to meet Jimmy and Leana Sullivan. Jimmy and Leana I want you to meet Hayley and Riley Daniels." The orphanage owner Miss Mary said pointing to us.

“That was some awesome singing!" Jimmy said excitedly.

“Nice to meet you girls. Sorry about Jimmy he's always like this." Leana said with a warm smile.

“Oh it's ok, we act like that too and we know he acts like that. I mean he is Jimmy ‘The Rev' Sullivan!" Riley stated smirking. 

“Baby can we adopt them, please? They already act like me and they'll fit right in with everyone." Jimmy said looking at Leana. 

She nodded and smiled at us, “Miss Mary we would like to adopt these girls." 

“Ok, come with me to sign the papers. Girls get your things packed and ready." They all left to sign papers leaving us shocked. 

“Were getting adopted! I can't believe it!" Riley and I yelled excitedly. After we stopped yelling we packed and hauled it all down to the front desk where our new mom and dad were waiting.

“Well are you ready to go girls?" Leana asked.

“Yeah!" We said in unison.

“Babe they talk in unison! That's so cute!" Jimmy said picking up my 1 duffle bag and Riley's 1 duffle bag, then walking to the black SUV.

“He's always excited easily and he's really excited about having daughters he can spoil." Leana laughed leading us to the car.

“That's good because were excited to have parents after four years." I said putting my guitar in the back of the car and getting in, buckling up. Riley made sure our guitars were safe before she got in and buckled up. 

“I'm thinking we should go home and invite the guys over for a BBQ, and then tomorrow after your settled in you girls, Valery, and I could go shopping for clothes and stuff for your room if you want to." Leana said from the passenger seat while Jimmy drove.

We nodded and looked out the windows at the passing traffic, “Hey do you have Metallica's black album?" I asked.

“Yeah, Leana can you get it, it's in the glove compartment? I'm going to text the guys and tell them about the BBQ." Jimmy said stopping at a stop light and texting everyone.

“What song do you want to listen to?" 

“Enter Sandman! DUHH!" We spoke in unison again. Leana laughed putting it in.

“Can we blast it and roll down the windows?" I asked with a smile. Jimmy nodded turning it up to where the bass bounces off your chest and rolled the windows down halfway. 

We sang along to the whole song, when it was finished I reached in my tote bag and got out an Avenged Sevenfold cd handing it to Leana asking to put it in.

“Why did you change it?" Jimmy whined from the driver seat not paying attention to what cd was being put in.

Riley and I snickered waiting for the cd to start. It started playing the organs at the beginning of Critical Acclaim. Jimmy had a huge grin plastered on his face.

“Broken glass, your fake reflection
I've had enough it's time for something real
Don't respect the words you're speaking
Gone too far, acclaim." Riley and I sang but Jimmy shut off the car after pulling into a driveway. I looked out the windows to see all the guys in the garage looking at the car with raised eyebrows. 

“Yo, Jim why ya blastin' our music?" Matt asked loudly. 

“It wasn't me. It was Hayley and Riley." 

“It was who and who?" Matt asked with a confused face.

Riley and I got out of the car walking to stand by our new dad, while Leana went inside saying something about food. The guys did a double take and stared with wide eyes.

“Shadz, Gates, Vengeance, Christ I want you to meet my daughters." He said smiling. “Hayley and Riley meet the guys."

“Wait which is which?" Johnny asked pointing.

“Well fellow short shit, I'm Hayley and I have red in my hair, that's Riley and she has purple in her hair. Do you need me to say it slower?" I said in a smartass-y tone. Jimmy busted out laughing while everyone but Johnny tried to hold in their laughs.

“Dude, I like her already!" Zacky said laughing.

“She's gonna fit in easily." Brian stated.

“Do you both act like that? Because if you do you will be my favorite people in the world!" Matt said smirking. We nodded and smiled.

“That was rude ya know. I'm not stupid!" Johnny said with narrowed eyes.

“Of course not Johnny, you know what? Your gonna be our favorite uncle!" Riley said laughing at the guys' faces.

“HEY! What about me?" Matt, Zacky, and Brian yelled

“You all make fun of Johnny who is short like us, so if you make fun of him you are making fun of us." Riley said with her hands on her hips.

“Hey Jimmy can I get my stuff out of your car?" I asked turning to him. He nodded and handed me the keys. I walked to the back unlocking it and got my guitar along with my duffle bag. 

I started walking up the driveway toward the front door, “You play guitar?" Zacky asked catching everyones attention. 

“Yeah I also..." I started to say but was cut off by Jimmy. “She plays guitar and sings, so does Riley. They are fucking amazing!" He said with a smile.

“That's cool. You'll have to play for us sometime." Zacky said sipping a beer he just opened.

I nodded and walked in the house, Riley following in shortly after. We looked around at the huge house and smiled at each other. 

“LEANA!" We yelled in unison. 

“Yeah?" She said from behind causing us to jump. 

“Geez Louise on cheese! You scared me." I said trying to slow my heart.

“Me too." Riley said.

“Oh sorry, I forgot to show you your rooms. Come on." Leana laughed walking up the stairs stopping at 2 doors at the end of the hallway. 

“You girls can pick between these two rooms. You can paint them however you want."

We thanked her and stepped in the room we picked. I dropped my bag on the ground and propped my guitar up in the corner.

“Hayls, do you wanna get the guitars and play a song for the guys?" Riley asked standing by my door. I nodded and got my guitar following her down the steps.

“Where's the guys?" I asked Leana. 

“They are in the backyard. Can you guys help me with these burgers and hotdogs?"

We nodded each grabbing a plate and walked outside to the guys. I put the food by the grill and turned to the guys.

“You guys wanted us to play right?" I asked seeing their confused faces. They nodded while Jimmy started grilling the food. “What do you want us to play?"

“You can play any song ya want." Brian asked finishing off his beer. 

"Okie Dokie." Riley and I said in unison. The guys smiled and waited for us to started. I looked at Riley, “The only exception?" I asked. She nodded and we started playing.

“When I was younger
I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it
And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist
But darlin'
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
Maybe I know, somewhere
Deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways
To make it alone
Or keep a straight face
And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable, distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that I'm content
With loneliness
Because none of it was ever worth the risk
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
I've got a tight grip on reality, but I can't
Let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning, when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream
Ooh Ooh...
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
And I'm on my way to believing
Oh, and I'm on my way to believing."

We finished and looked to the guys to see them with shocked faces. 

“That was awesome." Johnny said.

“Kick ass singing." Matt smiled showing his dimples.

“That was great!" Brian said.

“I agree. Is that the only guitars you have?" Zacky asked.

“Yeah, we only had enough money from our jobs to buy acoustics." I said putting the guitar down.

“We'll get ya some electric guitars. That way we can play together." Zacky said smiling.  We thanked him and talked until Jimmy said the food was done. We all went and fixed our plates, setting down at the table outside to eat. 

“This is really good." Riley said. Leana and Jimmy smiled in thanks.

“I'm finished. Can I get my swim suit on to go swimming?" I asked standing with Riley. 

“Yeah, it's all good." Jimmy said. We took our stuff in the house and went to our rooms to change. I came out in this and Riley came out in this, we both walked back outside. 

I took off my shorts, tank top, and flip flops then took off running toward the pool, “CANNONBALL!" I screamed. I came above the water to see the guys glaring at me. 

“You got us wet!" 

“Suck. It. Up." I smirked. “Afraid your gonna mel...." I started to say but was jumped on by Riley and taken under water.

I came up spitting water out of my mouth and too see the guys laughing their asses off. Riley came up a second later smirking.

“Didn't see that one coming did ya?" Riley said in a smartass tone.

“Shut up, you whore."

“Bitch."

“Dick Licker."

“Cunt."

“You did not just fucking call me that?" I asked with fake shock. The guys had halted their laughing when we started calling each other names. 

“Oh I think I did. What ya gonna do about it!"

I dove at her and dunked her under water. When we were both under water I kicked her stomach, but it was in slow motion. She grabbed her stomach and swam to the surface, I took that as my chance to get away so I swam to the ladder and got out.

“Nany nany boo boo! You can't catch me!" I taunted sticking my tongue out.

“One of you guys get her!" Riley glared and slowly got out. 

I took off running only to have heavily tattoed arms go around my waist. I yelped when I was thrown over one of the guys shoulders like I was a piece of meat.

“Who ever you are put me down."

“Not a chance kid." A deep voice said I recognized to be Matts. He walked over to the edge if the pool and stood there. “Riles what ya want me to do with her?"

“Throw her in the pool or something." Riley said. I lifted my head and moved my hands to show Riley to push Matt in with me, she nodded and snuck up behind him. 

Matt smirked and got a good hold on me, “1...2...WHAT THE FU..!" He started to say but ended up screaming when Riley pushed him.

We made a big splash going under water. I came up and saw Matt's head pop up a couple seconds later. “What the fuck? Who pushed me in?" I snickered and looked to see him taking of his now wet hat.

“That would be me." Riley raised her hand.
 
“You just wait next time little girl. I'm gonna get you good." Matt threatened. I got out of the pool and dried off. 

“Oh I'm shakin' in my boots." 

Everybody laughed while Matt glared and got out of the pool, taking the towel Leana had gotten him.

“What time is it?" Riley and I asked in unison causing everyone to chuckle.

“It's ten thirty pm, why?" Brian replied.

“I'm wore out from today. I think I'm gonna go to bed." I said grabbing my stuff and looking at them. “I think I'm going to bed too." Riley said also gettin her stuff. 

"Ok, just don't forget your going shopping with me and Valery tomorrow." Leana said smiling. We nodded as an answer.

I went and hugged Leana, “Night mom." I whispered in her ear. I also hugged Jimmy, “Night dad." I whispered in his ear. I pulled away to see a sparkle in both their eyes. 

Riley hugged them both telling them night, I'm assuming also callin them mom and dad because the sparkle in their eyes got bigger. 

“Night guys." We said in unison and walked to our rooms. I changed into a pair of yoga shorts and an old shirt of my dads, one of the only ones I had left. 

I got under the covers and sighed, “Night Riley." I said loudly hoping she heard me through the wall. “Night Hayley." She said a minute later. I closed my eyes and not to long after fell into a dreamless sleep.