Innocence

Chapter 22

“Zack, what are you doing?” I gasped, pulling away.

“Kissing you,” he said it as if it was the most obvious thing, then he leaned in again.

“We can’t do this,” I said, standing up.

“And why not?”

I looked at him like he was on crack. “What about Gena?!”

He sighed, shaking his head. “Honestly, I don’t want to be with her anymore. I mean, she’s great, but I’m not happy with her anymore.”

“Maybe you guys are just going through a rough patch?” I suggested.

He pulled me by my thighs towards him and onto his lap. “Or maybe I just want someone else.” He slowly kissed his way down my jaw line to my neck, knowing exactly what he was doing.

“Zack, we ca-” my breath hitched as he found my sweet spot. No one but Matt had ever found that before. My fingers instinctively curled into his hair. “Damn you,” I groaned.

He laughed softly, running his hands up and down my sides. “What were you saying?”

“Shut up and kiss me before I come to my senses.”

“Gladly.”

The next morning, I woke up in Zack’s arms. Realization was hitting me strong and I couldn’t push away the guilt. I went to get up, but Zack’s arms tightened around me. “Where are you going?” He asked, nuzzling his face into my neck.

“I should probably go…”

His eyes snapped open. “What? Why?”

“Because, Zack,” I sighed, running my hands down my face. “What happened last night-”

“Was amazing.” He ran his hands up and down my back, smirking.

“But you’re with Gena, Zack. What’s going to happen when she finds out?”

“Who says she has to?” I lay there, staring up at the ceiling, not knowing what to think or feel. “Manda, look at me.” He softly turned face to look at him. “I felt something that I haven’t felt in so long. I can’t explain it, but I don’t feel that with Gena anymore. She’s just more of a best friend now, more than a girlfriend.”

I looked at him, trying to process this. “But why me?”

He smiled, kissing my forehead. “Because I’ve had the biggest crush on you since we were twelve.”

My eyes widened. “What?”

“You never noticed,” he said, shrugging.

“You never showed it!”

“I was different back then! I was shy back then, there was no way I was going to say anything.”

“You were so not shy!” I said, not believing him. “The start of freshman year, you were so full of yourself.”

He laughed, burying his face in the pillow. It was cute how he was acting right now… “Anyways!”

I sighed, laying my head on his chest. He silently ran his fingers through my hair and up my spine. “So… What does this mean?”

“What do you want it to mean?”

“You’re still with Gena, so if you think about it, we can’t really have anything.”

He sighed, staring up at the ceiling. “I’ll take care of things with Gena, because honestly, I don’t want to lose something we could possibly have.” He saw the look on my face and knew I was unsure. “Just think about it, okay?” He kissed my lips softly.

Oh, he’s good…

*Zacky’s P.O.V.*

Manda and I lay in bed for a while, before she decided to head home. I promised her I would figure things out with Gena, and that’s exactly what I was going to do.

I called Gena and told her I was going to head over to her place later in the day. I thought it was going to be easy and painless, but boy was I wrong… “Hey, Baby!” She greeted me at the door. “Come in, I have a surprise for you.”

“Gena, we need to talk,” I said, trying not to lose focus.

“Sure, come on. Look! I made your favorite with you Mom’s help of course.”

I was in so much shock; I lost total focus of why I had come here. “Wow, that smells amazing,” I said as I followed her into the kitchen.

Needless to say, I lost complete track of thought and reason to why I had come to talk to her. She’d never done anything like this for me before, so it was amazing. Sadly, all thoughts of Manda were gone.

*Amanda’s P.O.V.*

I waited all night for Zack to call me, but he never did. I figured he went out with the guys or just wanted to be by himself tonight.

“Hey, Chick what are you doing?” Janie asked, coming to sit on my bed.

“Nothing, what about you?” I asked, closing my laptop.

“Just wondering what happened to you last night? You didn’t come home.”

“Oh, I stayed at Zack’s.”

Her eyes widened. “Tell me everything!” She squealed.

“What do you mean?” I said, trying to play it off.

“Bullshit!” She gave me the look. “Please tell me.”

I sighed, looking down. “You can’t say anything because I have no idea where this is going.” She nodded, crossing her heart. I knew that I could trust her, but I still had a feeling that I shouldn’t be saying anything…

I just hope Zacky does break things off with Gena, because I finally feel happy. That’s horrible for me to think, but if he wasn’t happy with her, then why drag it on