Status: Currently being re-edited. Chapters 1-10 have been re-edited.

A Muggle at Hogwarts

Ch. 25: Destruction of the Wizardry World

When I entered the Great Hall for lunch, the entire room was in a buzz. In almost every student’s hands was a copy of the Daily Prophet. I quickly walked pass the crowd and over to Hermione and the others, who too here huddled around Dean’s copy of the Daily Prophet.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I pushed my way into their circle. “Why does everyone have a copy of the Dailey Prophet—it’s noon.”

“Diagon Alley’s has just been attacked by Death Eaters,” Hermione said as she looked over her shoulders.

“What?” I gasped. I quickly looked to Dean and asked, “Dean, can I see that for a minute?”

“Of course,” he said as the slid the newspaper over to me.

I quickly took the paper and scanned it over. Death Eaters had just attacked Diagon Alley and destroyed many of the shops there. Although few were injured, the attack had scared the wits out of all wizards and witches.

I gasped in horror before asking, “How did you guys get this?”

“A seventh year student,” Harry explained. “His mum apparently works for the Daily Prophet and sent this to him. He made copies of it and distributed it throughout the school.”

“This is terrible,” Ron said as he gazed down at the paper.

“So—so Death Eater just attacked Diagon Alley out of the blue—in broad daylight?” I questioned.

“Apparently so. Mr. Ollivander is missing as well,” Ginny added from beside Dean. “Witnesses say that they saw some Death Eaters dragging him out of his shop before it was destroyed.”

“Not only his shop, but others as well,” Hermione commented. “I heard that Mr. Fortescue was taken by the Death Eaters as well.”

“The owner of the ice cream shop?” Ron asked.

Hermione nodded.

“Why on earth would they take him? He owns an ice cream parlor for heaven’s sake.”

“Who knows,” Ginny replied. She then suggested that he could have done something to anger the Death Eaters.

“Oh no,” I whispered as I slowly stumbled away from the group. “It’s happening.”

Harry must have heard me because he turned to me. He mouthed to me “Do you know what’s happening?” but I simply clutched my jaw tightly together and shook my head. However, I knew he didn’t believe me, so I quickly stood up and walked out of the room. I could hear Hermione calling out to me, but I didn’t dare to look back.

Everything seemed to turn for the worst after that day. Panic erupted throughout the wizardry world as Death Eaters attacked towns and cities everywhere. Although the Ministry of Magic tried to cover up the horrible news, there was no way they could keep this a secret from the public. Within days, cities were destroyed and thousands of lives were taken. Still, the Ministry refused to tell the people what was really going on. Citizens began to feel that the Ministry had betrayed them and risked innocent people’s lives by withholding information. Because of this, wizards and witches turned their backs to Ministry, knowing that they could no longer rely on it for help and guidance.

It wasn’t long after this that the Ministry of Magic fell to the hands of the Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Through the pawns placed in the government building the Ministry turned into a “pure” government-ran building. Surveillance was placed upon those who the Ministry believed it couldn’t trust, and prosecuted any Muggle-born witches or wizards, claiming that they had stolen magic.

In the mean time, the Death Eater continued their reign of terror—recruiting people to join Voldemort and destroying anyone who stood in their way.

Unfortunately, Hogwarts was not spared from the depression that engulfed the wizardry world. It too, has turned into a dark, gloomy place. Breakfast at Hogwarts was no longer filled with chatter and laughter, but the sound of owls and quills scratching the surface of parchment. Throughout the course of the day, students can be found writing to their family in hopes that they are safe. You can then find them wondering the halls on the brink of insanity waiting for a reply.

Nowadays, you rarely find Hogwarts students gathered in the Great Hall to play Wizard Chess or chat with one another during free time. Hardly anyone could be found in the library studying, or doing their homework after class was done. No—most of the students would be in their rooms or their house tower surrounding a small radio—hoping they don’t hear the names of their relatives or friends being announced dead. It’s sad to say that death, sorrow and paranoia has become part of our daily lives at Hogwarts.

Classes at Hogwarts changed as well—many of them were shortened so that students could participate in a Defense Against the Dark Arts session every day after class. With the attacks everywhere, Dumbledore thought it best if the students learned how to protect themselves.

On the day that this new policy took place, Dumbledore called me into his office. As usual, he was sitting behind his desk working away at some paper.

“Professor?” I called from the door.

Dumbledore looked up from his desk and a smile formed onto his face. “Ms. Bell.”

“You wanted to see me?” I asked.

“Yes, please—come and sit down,” Dumbledore invited as he gestured to a seat in front of his desk.

I simply nodded and went and sat down.

“I’m sure these past few months have been troubling for you, Ms. Bell—with the attacks and all,” Dumbledore said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

Dumbledore smiled sadly. “Knowing who will die, when they die and how they die—it must be painful.”

I remained silent as I looked down at my hands. Forcing a smile on my face, I then looked up at Dumbledore and shook my head. “No, I’m okay. I’m not saying it hasn’t been hard, but I’ll manage,” I lied.

The truth was that I was at my break point. Now that everything is so chaotic and everyone’s in such a panic, I find life in this world so much harder to bear. Not only am I affected by the strong emotions of the situation at hand, but I am also stressed by my emotions about the things to come. Because of how things are going, it’s highly possible that the Battle of Hogwarts will take place. If this happens, some of the people who I deal with everyday will die. The thought of this saddened and terrified me to death.

Dumbledore nodded, though I knew he wasn’t convinced. Despite this, he decided to change the subject. “I’m sure you’re aware of the Defense Against the Dark Arts session which we have put in place at the school, correct?” questioned Dumbledore.

“Yes,” I replied.

“You will not be participating in them, I’m afraid,” Dumbledore informed.

I scrunched my eyebrows. “May I ask why, Professor?”

“Only a few people know that you can use magic. I prefer that the entire student body does not come to learn this,” Dumbledore explained. “However, because you are the one who is most at danger when it comes to the Death Eaters, I cannot deny you the session.”

“What are you trying to say?” I asked.

“While the student body is having their lesson in the Great Hall,” Dumbledore explained, “you will be having private lessons in the Room of Requirement with Professor Snape.”

“What?” I exclaimed.

“Yes, he’s the most suitable person to teach you.”

“But he’s the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” I pointed out. “Shouldn’t he be teaching at the sessions?”

“Exactly the reason why he should be teaching you,” Dumbledore replied. “I just wanted to inform you of this, Ms. Bell. You will be reporting to the Room of Requirement after class with Professor Snape.”

“No need,” I groaned as I stood up, “my last class is with him.”

As I walked out the door, Dumbledore suddenly called out to me. “How has it been between you and Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Bell? I haven’t heard much about the two of you since the second semester began.”

“There’s nothing to say,” I replied without turning to face Dumbledore. “We haven’t had much contact since then, anyways. Now, if you’d excuse me, I’m quite hungry.”

Dumbledore nodded. “You may go.”

With that, I hurried out of his office. When I entered the Great Hall, the atmosphere in there didn’t help my situation either. Almost everywhere I looked, there were people crying and moping. There were absolutely no smiles on anyone’s faces.

“Everyone looks dreadful,” I whispered as I sat beside Hermione.

“What do you expect?” Ron questioned as he weakly stabbed his fork into his mash potatoes.

“We have to stop this,” Harry said determinedly. “We cannot let Voldemort and his damn Death Eaters do this!”

“What exactly are we supposed to do, Harry?” Hermione questioned. “We don’t’ know how to stop him.”

“Do you think Dumbledore might know anything?” Ron suggested.

“We don’t need Dumbledore,” said Harry as he looked away from Ron. “We have Violet.”

I immediately straightened when he said my name.

“Violet knows what Voldemort is up to,” said Harry. “Tell us.”

“Harry, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Hermione said.

“Why not, Hermione?” snapped Harry. “She knows what’s going on. She can help us stop him!”

“Even if she may know, there’s obviously a reason why she hasn’t said anything to any of us!” Hermione argued. “Don’t you understand that? What if it’s because you’re not ready to take on Voldemort? Have you thought of that?”

“I am ready!” Harry replied. “I just have to know what to do.”

“Harry, listen to what Hermione’s saying,” Ron agreed. “I think she has a point.”

“Over the past three months, more than a thousand people have died! Look around us!” Harry exclaimed as he turned to scan the room. “These people—our friends—they sit in here day after day, hoping to hear from their family in friends. They are in constant fear and pain, waiting for a reply. When those reply don’t come, they end up like that!” Harry said as he glanced down the table to a group of girls huddled around their teary friend. “This must come to an end!”

“Please! Just stop!” I begged as I slammed my hand onto the table. “I—I can’t stand this anymore!”

“V—Violet, where are you going?” Hermione asked as I got up and hurried out of the room.

Once out, I went straight out into the small courtyard outside and paced around.

“This shouldn’t happen. It’s not right!” I exclaimed as I ran my hand through my hair. “What should I do? What should I do?”

“Violet?” Harry called from behind me.

“Harry!” I gasped as I turned around and faced him. “What are you doing out here?”

“I came to see if you were okay,” Harry replied as he slowly walked towards me. Hesitantly, he asked, “You do know what’s going, don’t you? You know what the Death Eaters—what Voldemort is planning, don’t you?”

I scoffed weakly at his question. “Why ask if you already know the answer to that question?”
“Violet,” Harry sighed as he reached out and took my hands. Looking deeply into my eyes, he said, “You HAVE to tell me what’s going on. I have to know.”

I fought the tears and shook my head. Softly, I said, “I can’t.”

“Why not, Violet?” Harry questioned. “You and I know that I’m the only one who can stop this—the only one who can stop Voldemort. He’s doing all of this so that he can somehow stop me from destroying him!”

“I just can’t, Harry!” I exclaimed as I snatched my hands back from Harry. I turned around and walked away from him frustrated.

“Why not?” Harry repeated. “Please, tell me what’s going on, Violet. You’re the only other person who knows!”

“You should know better than to ask me that,” I snapped as I glanced back at him.

“I need to know what Voldemort is up to Violet! Lives are at stake here, don’t you understand?” he shouted.

“You think I don’t know that?” I bellowed as I spun around and glared at Harry with watery eyes. Once again, I repeated, “You think I don’t know that lives are at stake?”

“That’s not what I—“

“Do you know how hard it is for me to know the fate of everyone in this world of yours?” I shouted. “Do you know how hard it is for me to interact with students here knowing for a fact that they are going to die, and I can’t do a damn thing about it?”

“Then tell me!” Harry begged as he took a step closer to me. “Tell me what he’s planning so that those students in there won’t have to die!”

“No,” I said shaking my head. “I don’t want to put more lives at stake.”

“These are your classmates, your friends! If you don’t tell me what Voldemort is planning so that I can stop it, they are going to die—just like you said! Are you honestly willing to do this?” he yelled.

“Yes,” I laughed as I wiped away the tears running down my face. I then looked at him and said, “You’ll learn in good time what he’s up to. When the time’s right, you’ll find out.”
With that, I quickly tried to walk pass Harry. But he wasn’t finished talking to me. As I passed him, he took my arm and held tightly in his grasp.

“How can you be to coldhearted?” he asked.

“Coldhearted?” I repeated. I laughed at this before saying, “I would love to tell you what he’s doing and what he’s planning. I would love to tell you that you have to do this, this, and this and then you would be able to kill Voldmort, but I can’t. I can’t tell you because everything will change then. I won’t know the outcome, and I’m terrified that it will turn for the worse if I tell you. I am scared to death that if I tell you what he’s planning and how to go about killing him, something is going to go wrong and then you will die. And if you die, there will be no hope for anyone. Everyone who dies in order to protect you—their deaths will be meaningless, and it will be my fault.”

With these last words, Harry loosened his grip around my arm and let me crumble to the ground in tears.

“I—I don’t know if I can do this any longer,” I sobbed. “This—everything, this is just too much. I—I don’t know what to do anymore. I want to tell you—but I don’t think I should. I just—“

“It’s all right, Violet,” Harry gasped as he knelt down in front of me. Slowly, he put his arms out and gently wrapped them around me in a warm embrace.

“I don’t know how much more I can handle,” I cried.

“It’s okay,” Harry said as he held me tighter. “I’m sorry—I’m so sorry. I don’t ask you again. I’m sorry—I should have never asked you. Please—please, I’m terribly sorry,” Harry whispered again and again.