Sequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Completed; Comments are appreciated, please?; Triquel?

Lightning Streaks the Sky

Chapter Six: The Football Game

“Hey, Kendall, wanna go out?”, Tyler asks, smirking at me. I roll my eyes.

“Sorry, but I don’t date.”, I say, walking away.

“Good to see you’re staying true to your promise to your mom?”, Dylan asks, chuckling.

“Hey, just because I died, doesn’t mean I’m free to do whatever I want. I’ll date when I’m sixteen. Which is in three months.”, I say, smiling at him.

“Yeah, but you forgot the loophole.”

“What loophole?”

“If your mom has met the guy and approves, then you can date as early as fourteen.”, Dylan says, smirking.

“The only guy she ever met was you, Dylan. And we’re best friends. It would just be … weird.”

“Umm, yeah. It would be.”, Dylan grumbles quietly.

“Well, I’m gonna dance.”, I say, smirking as I walk onto the dance floor, dancing around. And Dylan soon joined me, twirling me around a couple of times.

“What do you wanna do for your Sweet Sixteen, Kendall?”, Dylan asks, making me ‘shh’ him. “What?”

“I don’t want people to know, Dyl. The only one who knows my birthday is you. And I personally want it to stay that way.”, I say, giving him the  puppy dog eyes and pouty-lips.

“Alright! Fine! We’ll pretend we never had this conversation!”

“Thank you, Dylan!”, I say, hugging him, kissing his cheek as I let go. I yawn then, making Dylan chuckle.

“C’mon, lets get you home.”, Dylan says, wrapping an arm around my shoulder, pulling me out of the house.

“Awww, but —”

“No buts! There will be plenty of parties, Kendall.”, Dylan says, pulling me outside.

“Oh, hey, what’s going on?”, Josh asks, as we walk outside. Kevin steps to the other side of me, and that’s when I saw the camera flash.

“Huh? What’s going on?”, I ask tiredly, my eyes blinded from the flash.

“What the hell!!”, Josh growls.

“Whatever that was, I’m sure they’re long gone.”

“Maybe Alison could help us figure it out …”

“No. It’s around five in the morning there.”, Kevin says, glaring.

“She stays up late,” I say, smirking as I fly up to the cloud. I pull out my phone, immediately dialing Alison’s number.

“What?”, Alison snaps. “I don’t care who you are! I’m not buying anything!”, Alison hisses, as she pops out of my phone. “Oh, hey Melody,” Alison yawns.

“Hey Alison! My best friend! My best psychic friend.”

“I thought I was your best psychic friend!”, Nina whines.

“In a minute!”

“I don’t wanna be psychic right now. I’m gonna go sleep on your couch. Just poof Moosey and Stinky Fart Jr.”, Alison grumbles.

“Moosey and Stinky Fart Jr.?”

“My stuffed moose and skunk. Duh. I’ll throw the biggest tantrum of all time if you don’t bring them here. And if you want a prophetic dream, you might wanna send my dream-catcher.”, Alison says gravely.

“Fine,” I grumble, watching as the toy moose and skunk come flying out of my phone, along with a green dream catcher. Alison grabs the things, walking into my house, and plopping down on the couch, soon asleep. I roll my eyes,  walking into the bathroom, and changing into my PJs. I walk out, to see Alison reading.

“Do you ever wonder about the meaning of life?”, Alison asks, peeling her eyes away to look at me.

“Umm, yeah, I guess?”

“You know, every second of my life I think about that.”, Alison says, laughing slightly. “And I think I figured it out.”

“So, what is the meaning of life, ol’ wise one?”, I ask sarcastically.

“Well, I don’t know about you. But my meaning … is protection.”, Alison says, smiling. “Only you know your meaning, Melody. It’s different for everyone. I’m just one of the few lucky people who have figured out their meanings.”

“Protection?”

“I made a vow when I was seven, Melody. That vow … shaped me. Changed my life. I know the exact date I took it, too. April 27th, 2004. The day a little girl was born.”

“What was her name?”

“Sophia Grace Ochsner,” Alison says, smiling. “I sensed something … and I vowed to protect her. I vowed to protect my friends, family, and  everyone from big bullies.”, Alison says, laughing slightly. “Well, I’m heading to bed. ‘Night.”

“’Night,” I say, standing up from the couch. I look at Alison, even though she was fast asleep. I grab a blanket, putting it over her. And then Kevin breaks do down the door, with Josh right behind him. Those two are a couple of idiots, aren’t they?

“Where’s the little witch?”, Josh growls. I glare at him, shaking my head.

“Sleeping,” I say simply, nodding toward Alison on the couch. “And she just told me the meaning of life.”

“The meaning of life? We’re dead, Melody.”, Josh says, glaring.

“Correction: we’re undead. And last time I checked, we were still around.”, I say, standing up to glare at him. “Now get out of my house. Or you’ll find yourself in hell.”

Josh holds his hands up defensively, walking out my door, as I slam it in Kevin’s face. I plop down on my bed, soon falling asleep.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Melody!!! Wake up!!!! Josh and Kevin are knocking down the door!!!!”, Alison yells, banging on the door. “And I know what’s gonna happen, and I really wanna go to school!”

“Are you even old enough to go to high school?”, I ask, changing into a lime-green tank-top, faded blue jeans, a grey jacket, and a white headband. I zip the jacket only half-way up, soon speeding out the door.

“Why can’t I go?”, Alison whines.

“Because you’re not registered, first off. And you know way too much even if you are a witch.”, Kevin scowls.

“All, c’mon! I’m gonna be homeschooled for the next year!”, Alison whines.

“Alright! You can come!”, I say, grabbing her hand as she childishly sticks her tongue out at Kevin, and we all fly down.

“Yay! I’m going to high school!!”, Alison says, smiling.

“Yes, and you’re sticking with me.”

“I’d rather be with Dylan,” Alison says uncomfortably. “But lets stop wasting time and just get going!”, and she was running.

“Ever get the feeling that she’s hiding something?”, Adam asks, staring after Alison oddly.

We all shrug in usison, answering together, “You get used to it.”

Alison met us by the door, bouncing with joy.

“Are you sure it was okay to bring a middle-school girl along?”, Lambert asks, staring at Alison oddly.

“I’m older than Jenny. And she’s in high school,” Alison grumbles. “And I think I can keep up.”

“If it’s history, I’m sure you can. Most of them don’t have a brain.”, Ash says, rolling his eyes.

“Alright, then lets go!!!”, Alison says, grabbing my hand and dragging me inside, and into my homeroom. Her psychic-ness is a little creepy. “Hi Josh!”

“What the — umm, hey witch.”, Josh says, shaking his head.

“Umm, excuse me, miss —”

“Ochsner. Alison Christine Ochsner. I’m a transfer from Kentucky. I’ll be sort of in and out.”, Alison says, smiling excitedly. “And I skipped a few grades. And I’m really excited to be here!!!”

“Oh, well, always great to have more enthusiasm. Go on and take a seat —”

“Can I sit by Kendall, plleeeaaaassssseeeeee?”, Alison asks, smiling.

“Umm, sure, you can sit in front of miss Anderson.”

“Yay!!”, Alison squeals, pulling me to my seat and sitting in front of me, bouncing in her chair excitedly.

“What’s the witch doing here?”, Josh asks me quietly.

“Well, she knows what the camera flash was from. And she begged. And the teachers seem to like her so far.”, I say, shrugging.

“What’s with you and Ms. Perky?”, Frankie asks, sitting down.

“Oh, she’s a friend. She’s just … umm … enthusiastic? But she’s really cool, don’t worry.”, I say, forcing a smile, as the teacher begins class.

♠ ♣ ♠

The time for football practice came, and Alison was sitting in the stands, with a tray of food.

“Alright, thanks to a brilliant suggestion by Mr. Chao and Ms. Anderson, we are going to try something different. Our four best players, up against — EXCUSE ME, MISS!!! THIS IS A CLOSED PRACTICE!!!!”, coach yells at Alison.

“Sorry, sir. I’m showing the new girl around.”, I say, feeling my cheeks heat up. “She won’t be a problem to us.”

“Well, alright, Kendall,” the coach grumbles reluctantly. “Anderson, Chao, Nathanson brothers. You all are up against the rest of these yahoos.”

Dylan and I exchange high-fives, soon stopping as we process the rest. We wince slightly, running over to face the rest of them. Josh and Kevin glare at each other, and Alison slaps a hand to her forehead.

“Umm, coach, do you think this is such a … good idea?”, I ask, looking at Alison as she makes ‘shut up’ motions. “Umm, never mind?”

And Alison stands up, walking onto the field.

“HEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!!!”, coach barks.

“Umm, sorry sir!”, Alison says, wincing. “I just wanted to hint some advice for the upcoming game this Saturday.”

“Listen to her, coach. The girl knows what she talks about.”, I say, smirking.

“You might not want to put Kevin and Josh on at the same time. And Grant, Connor, Martin, and Leo are your fastest. Next to Kendall, Dylan, Josh, and Kevin, of course. And Tyler, Frankie, Kurt, Forrest, Travis, and Daniel are your tacklers.”, Alison says, gesturing to everyone. “You should put them in front. But save the best for the back. And then put your runners toward the middle. The other team won’t know what hit them, and it’ll be an easy win. As long as Kevin and Josh aren’t on at the same time. I’d sort of go back and forth.”

“Hmm, I see what you’re saying here. What’s your name?”

“Alison Ochsner. I’m a transfer here from Kentucky.”

“Kentucky Wild Cats?”

“And Louisville Cardinals,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “And you should really take my advice into consideration.”

“I say we listen to her. What ‘bout you, Kendall?”, Dylan asks, nudging me.

“When I have ever not listened to Alison? She knows what she’s talking about.”, I say, smirking.

“Well, how would you like to be my assistant?”, coach asks, staring at Alison with a smile.

“Sure,” Alison says, shrugging. “And also, let them eat before they practice. Empty stomachs, empty minds. Plus, it fuels energy.”

“Smart girl, smart girl,” coach mutters, as Alison quickly runs away. “Can she play?”

“NO!!!!”, Alison mouths to me, as she sits on the bleachers.

“Nope. But she knows a thing or two.”, I say, shrugging.

“Smart girl, smart girl. Play ball!!”

And the game began.

♠ ♣ ♠

“I love your psychic-ness!”, I say, hugging Alison as we head towards the cafeteria.

“Aye!! Kendall, Dylan, Kevin!! Over here!!”, Frankie yells. I shake my head, gesturing to Alison, who rolls her eyes.

“I’m not five, Kendall. I can take care of myself.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes as she heads toward the guys. I roll my eyes, following her with a tray of food. “Go, Kendall!”

“No. They’re my team. You’re my friend.”, I say, sitting down stubbornly.

“Stubborn as a Taurus,” Kevin and Alison mutter.

“Whatever,” Dylan and I say, rolling our eyes.

“Hmm, Miranda, Miranda,” Alison ‘tsk’s. “Bad, bad.”

“Hmm?”

“I say, duck and cover. Because, Kendall, Miranda’s coming over.”, and she glares behind me. “Miranda.”

“Dork,” Miranda sneers.

“You know, I’m just a transfer. And I’m thirteen. You’re what, sixteen? I can totally get you in trouble.”, Alison says, smirking.

“Yeah, sure you can, dork.”

“Hey, I’m smart! Last time I checked, that’s flattery.”, Alison says, exchanging high-fives with Max.

“You’re just a loser.”

“Yeah, whatever. You can’t think of any better excuse for what you are?”

“Go, Alison!”, I cheer, exchanging a fist-bump with her.

“Look, it’s the loser table,” Tacey snickers. Alison stands up, along with me, but Dylan pulls me back down, while Max pulls Alison.

“You know what, Tacey?! At least I’m not a frickin’ hypocrite!”, Alison yells, kicking her and Miranda as hard as she could.

“You — OH!!”, Miranda yells.

“Idiot!”, Alison growls. “Nobody hates my friends and gets away with it! Kendall may not be able to do anything, but I got nothing to loose!!!”, and she punches Miranda. Miranda shrieks, scurrying away, as the rest of her little clones do the same.

“Wow,” everyone around the table breathes.

“I’m not breaking my vow after six years, Kendall,” Alison mumbles, low enough to where only I could hear, as she quickly sits down, only to stand back up as a teacher marches toward me.

“Miss Anderson!!”

“Kendall didn’t punch Miranda!!”, Alison yells quickly. “I did. I had heard how she keeps walking over here and calling everyone a bunch of losers. And I just lost it. I’m sorry. I’ll apologize to Miranda right after lunch.”, Alison says, hanging her head.

“Oh, umm, alright, Ms. Ochsner.”, and the teacher walked away.

“What score do I get for that lie?”, Alison asks, as she sits down.

“I give you a ten. You added the ‘head of shame.’”, Ash says, smirking.

“Ooh, have a microphone so you all can hear what I’m gonna actually say to Miranda?”, Alison asks excitedly.

“You’re not saying anything.”, Nina says disapprovingly.

“Exactly,” Alison says, smiling as she continues eating.

“Why?”, I ask, staring at her oddly.

“You love sports, Kendall. I’m not gonna ruin that when I threw the punch.”, Alison says, rolling her dark brown eyes. “And I saw what she was planning. I see everything.”

“And thankfully,” Charles says, smirking.

“Hey, wanna see how much of this pizza I can fit in my mouth?”

“Yeah!”

♠ ♣ ♠

The rest of the day was … good. Miranda left us alone, and I found out that Alison was really smart. And she knew how to flatter a teacher.

“That was so much fun! Hey, can I come to your game tomorrow, Kendall? Pleaseeeee?”, Alison begs, as we walk outside of the school.

“I dunno,” I say, shrugging.

“Wait hold on,” Alison says, turning around as coach came running toward us.

“Umm, Ochsner?”

“Hmm?”

“I want you at the game tomorrow.”

“’Kay,” Alison says, smiling straight at me. “As long as Kendall and Kevin let me go.”

“Anderson, Nathanson, take Ochsner to the game.”, coach says firmly.

“I’ll make sure she gets there, coach,” Dylan says, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

“Good boy, Chao,” coach says, patting his shoulder. And he walks away, seeming happier than a bee.

“Looks like someone trusts the psychic.”, I say in a sing-song voice.

“Shut up,” Alison grumbles. “Lets just go to the party — AND JOLIE, I SWEAR TO ZEUS, IF YOU MAKE ME WEAR A DRESS I WILL MURDER YOU!!!!”

“Okay! Dressy—”

“Melody, can I please borrow some jeans and a t-shirt!! I’m not classy!!”, Alison begs, getting on her knees and grabbing my leg. “I’m begging you! Don’t torture me! I’ll even design a dress!”

“You design clothes?”, Jolie asks skeptically.

“Ahuh,” Alison says, pulling out a notebook. She flips through it, showing me a dress.

“Hmm, that isn’t half bad,” Jolie says, looking over my shoulder.

“How quickly can you design?”, I ask, looking up at her.

“I … can’t. I don’t know how to sew and stuff. I just know what I like and I draw it …”, Alison says sheepishly, her cheeks burning bright red. “I draw clothes that I can never wear.”

“The irony,” Sissy says, smiling.

“And don’t worry about makeup, Sissy. You look beautiful without it.”, Alison says, smiling at her.

“Really?”

“Prettier than me. Although, I spend my time around guys,” Alison says, laughing slightly.

“Well, lets get to work! Alison, draw clothes for everyone.”, Jolie says, smiling.

“Oh, and boys, I don’t think you’ll need to dust off any tuxes.”, Alison says, smiling around at them. “All the clothes will be perfect for jeans and a t-shirt because I don’t believe in tuxes!”

“Get to designing!”, Leo says, as we all drag her into Jolie’s house.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Oh my gosh!!! Alison!!!! I love my dress!”, I say, hugging her.

My dress was black — mainly — and ruffled beyond the waist, with blue zebra-stripes along the bottom. It also had a neon green belt along my waist, tied into a black-bow. It had a heart-collar, loose-fitting, and stopped above my knees. She also designed a neon-green head-band, with a blue rose on it. My hair was curled just below my chest, giving me a sassy look. I’m wearing strappy high-heels, where most of it was neon-green, with blue mixed in it, and black strings hanging off of it.

I smirk, doing a little twirl. I’m wearing blue eyeshadow, with black glitter, and clear lip-gloss, that would glow neon-green in dim-lighting. Alison is a genius. I honestly love this dress!

“Wow, Melody,” Dylan says, twirling me as I walk outside with the rest of the girls. Alison walks out, in the clothes she had on since school, smiling at all of us.

“What? You aren’t going?”, Max asks, frowning at her.

“Umm, no. I just … can’t pull off that kind of stuff.”, Alison says, gesturing to me. “All I wear is jeans and t-shirts.”

“Aww, c’mon, Alison!”, Sissy whines, her face clear of makeup. It was shocking, and everyone but Alison had to do a double-take. “You designed all of us, and you’re not even going to try coming?”

“Umm, no. I’m not really a … party girl.”

“C’mon, Alison! It doesn’t matter!”, Jenny says, smiling at her.

“Alright! But nobody even expects me to even go. I’m a teachers’ pet, guys. They hate me, anyway.”, Alison grumbles.

“Alison, they don’t hate you!”, Barbie says, frowning as she places her hands on her hips.

“Yeah, well they don’t like me.”, and she heads toward my house.

“Jolie!”, I say, holding Alison back.

“C’mon, we’re gonna make you beautiful! Maybe even make the boys forget about Melody …”, Jolie says, grabbing Alison’s arm and dragging into her house.

“Ooh, I’ll help!”, Sissy says.

“Us, too!!”, Barbie, Cecilia, Lynn, Roxana, Mirabelle, Nina, Barbara, and Jenny say together. I laugh at them, waiting as a girl comes out of Jolie’s house.

She wore a knee-length, dark blue dress. It was strapless, with a heart-collar. Her dark brown hair was in curls to shoulders, and she kept her head down.

“Alison?!!”, Max asks, shocked. She looks up for a split second, revealing her dark brown eyes with the pale-blue eyeshadow with white glitter, and clear lip-gloss on her pale-pink lips. I do a double-take, as she wasn’t wearing her glasses anymore.

“I knew this wouldn’t work. I’ll be sleeping in Melody’s house.”, Alison says in a rush, already beginning to walk toward my house, before I grab her arm.

“Alison, you look beautiful,” I say, smiling at her.

“Yeah, well I feel stupid,” she grumbles, crossing her arms over her chest, pulling on the black jacket she had been holding, pulling the hood over her head. “This doesn’t feel like me.”

“Yeah, but you look … beautiful.”, Max breathes, looking at her with wide disbelieving eyes.

“Umm, thanks,” Alison says quietly, hiding behind me. I roll my eyes, grabbing her hand and flying down.

“C’mon, Alison. You really look amazing.”, I say, pulling down her hood.

“I feel plastic, though.”

“But don’t you like it? At all?”

“A little,” she says sheepishly, her cheeks burning red.

“Keep that smile. Brings out the amazing personality within the beautiful rose.”, I say, smiling at her. Alison smiles at me, laughing slightly. I link my arm with hers, smiling as we walk toward the party at Tyler’s house.

♠ ♣ ♠

Alison hadn’t left my side, and seemed to almost be hiding behind me everytime someone came close.

“Umm, Alison, right?”, Martin asks, smiling as Alison tries hiding behind me. She nods, keeping her eyes down. Martin’s dark brown hair fell into dark blue eyes, with red specks. “Umm, would you, umm, wanna dance?”

“I, umm, don’t dance,” Alison says quietly.

“Oh, me either,” Martin says, smiling at her. “But I wanted to ask you something. You look beautiful.”

Alison blushes dark red, glancing up at him quickly. “Umm, thanks.”

“Okay, I’m gonna go before I feel even more uncomfortable.”, I say, laughing slightly.

“No!”, Alison says quickly, grabbing my arm. “Don’t leave me,” she begs quietly.

“Umm, do you, umm, like sports?”

“Not really,” Alison says, still trying to hide behind me. “But I’m psychic.”

“Oh. You’re the —,” Martin looks around quickly, before saying barely above a whisper, “witch?”

“Ahuh,” Alison says, rolling her eyes.

“Then you must be Melody,” Martin says, looking up at me.

“And she’s not dating, Josh,” Alison says, scrunching up her nose.

“That’s not what he says.”

“Really?”, Alison asks, linking her arm with his. I could see that he was nervous and smug when Alison did that. “Lets talk.”

And they walked away. And Josh appeared.

“Hey.”

“S’up?”

“Sooo … Martin and Alison?”

“That’s cute. You learned her name.”

“Yeah, but she’s basically a Lightning.”

“I see what you’re doing, Josh.”

“And what might that be?”

“You’re using Martin and Alison as a boost for me dating you. Well, guess what? Alison has no intentions on dating anyone.”

“Then why is she all flirty with Martin.”

I look behind myself, at where Martin and Alison were laughing.

“They’re just friends, Josh. Nothing’s going on. And Alison is just a laugh-er.”, I say, shrugging. “And you learn a lot when someone hides behind your back.”

“Yeah, well looky there! Max is over there to claim his lady.”

“There’s nothing going on between Alison and anyone!!! Gosh, Josh! Get over it.”

“Turn around,” and he spins me around, as Max backs Alison up to a corner.

“Max!!”, I yell, walking over to him. “What’s going on?”

“Why are you talking to a Thunder, Aly?!!!”

“She can talk to whoever she wants!!!!”

I pull Alison from in between the two, and she stays close to me for the rest of the party, shy and scared. But, I left her to dance eventually.

“I was wondering when you’d start dancing.”, Dylan says over the music, making me laugh.

“Yeah, and I wish Alison would come over here and dance, too.”

“Yeah, she got that one Thunder guy to talk to her?”

“Yeah,” I sigh, walking over to Alison, as she seemed close to a panick attack.

“Help me,” Alison begs from in between Max and Martin.

“Okay boys, break it up! Give the beauty some breathing space,” I say, pulling Alison out from in between the two.

“Why couldn’t you have let me stay home?”, Alison begs.

“Because you’re my friend. And you’re dancing. Sorry ‘bout your luck,” I say, pulling her out onto the dance floor, where I immediately start dancing. Alison slowly follows my lead, reluctantly.

“I hate dancing! I can’t dance, Kendall!”

“Relax! You’re doing great!”, I say, laughing slightly. I twirl her, making her burst out laughing.

“Mind if I cut in?”, Max asks sheepishly. Alison glances at me nervously, and then I saw it. Alison likes Max. I giggle knowingly, recieving a glare from her.

“Umm, that depends on if you’re gonna yell at me.”, Alison says, smiling at him.

“I promise I won’t,” Max says, chuckling. Alison links her arm with his, and he twirls her away. I giggle slightly at how cute they were together. They were sort of like Alice and Jasper from Twilight. It wasn’t that bad. The movies were good, too.

“Mind if I dance with you?”, Kevin asks, smirking.

“Why not?”, I say, laughing slightly.

♠ ♣ ♠

We were all up at the cloud just relaxing. Alison and Max were playing truth or dare. I think everyone but them could see that they liked each other.

“Alright, big game tomorrow. I’m going to bed.”, I say, yawning.

“I’ll come, too,” Alison says quickly, standing up. I roll my eyes, and we walk toward my house. “Can I borrow some of your clothes … or can you poof some of mine here?”

“There,” I say, watching as the suitcases appear in my guest room, as does probably everything Alison owns.

“Thanks, Melody,” Alison says, hugging me.

“I would’ve done that eventually.”, I say, shrugging.

“Not for that. For everything,” Alison says, letting me go to run into her room. I walk into the bathroom, changing into my PJs before heading out into the living, where — oddly — Alison was sleeping on the couch. I roll my eyes, walking into my bedroom and quickly falling asleep.

♠ ♣ ♠

It was time for the big game. I was out in my uniform, like the rest of the boys, listening to what coach was saying as a pep-talk. He was really trusting where Alison positioned all of us. Josh and Dylan were out toward the back, while Kevin and I were benched. The game was beginning, and we were quickly winning. And I finally was put in.

“Alright, Kendall, take the ball when Forrest gives it to you. You’ll know what to do after that.”, Alison says, smiling ear to ear. Turns out she loved any sport where people were nearly beaten to death. She’s something, isn’t she?

“Okay,” I say, nodding with Forrest.

“Alright, and show ‘em what girls are made of!”, and she skips away. I roll my eyes, positioning myself in the very back with Dylan.

And suddenly the ball was in my hands, and I was running, dodging tackles like crazy.

“What the — IT’S A GIRL!!!!”, some of the boys would yell. Others would gape, making me smirk at them, and giving me a clear path. I probably could’ve walked and still gotten there that easily. Dylan and I exchange high-fives, and I walk up toward the front.

“You’re going down, girly,” one of them growl, smirking at me.

“We’ll see about that. I’m not on the boys football team for nothing.”, I say, smirking at him. And we were running. I dodge his tackle, gripping his shoulders as a boost to flip over him, making him gape hugely. Dylan throws the ball, and I’m quickly running to catch it, soon running down the field for another touch-down. Yes!! I cheer silently, about ready to do flips all along the grass.

But then I felt it. I felt the football being stolen out of my hands, heard Alison yelling, felt the impact of the ground as one of the guy’s tackle me, adding more pressure on my back. I grunt, as someone blows a whistle, and the boy gets off of me. I grunt, quickly sitting up.

“You okay?”, Alison asks, helping me up.

“HEY!!! THAT’S A GIRL DOWN THERE!!!!!”, someone in the audience yells, as I take off my helmet.

“YEAH?!!! SO WHAT!!!!!”, Alison yells back at him.

“THIS IS BOYS FOOTBALL!!!!!”

“YEAH, WELL SHE PLAYS BETTER THAN SOME OF THESE BOYS!!!!!!”

“HEY!!!! WHY DON’T YOU GO CHEER LIKE THE REST OF THOSE GIRLS!!!!!!”, the coach on the opposite team yells at me.

“BECAUSE I BET I COULD OUTRUN AND TACKLE YOUR QUARTERBACK!!!”, I yell back at him.

“YEAH, SHE CAN!!!!”, Alison yells, helping me limp back over to the bench. “Your leg’s broken,” Alison mutters quietly.

“How bad’s her injury?”, coach asks, frowning.

“She won’t be able to play for the rest of the game.”, Alison says quietly, poking my knee, as I wince. “Her leg’s broken.”

“Great,” coach grumbles.

“But maybe by halftime, sir,” Alison says, looking up at him. “No way to be a hundred percent sure. She’ll be slow, but I’m sure Kendall’s lived through worse.”

We roll our eyes in unison, and Alison nods slightly.

“Put me back in, coach. I don’t feel that bad.”, I say, standing up, ignoring the pain in my leg.

“Hold on a second,” Alison says, running toward one of the referees, soon running back over to me. “Kevin, Josh! Chase Kendall around once.”, Alison says, looking around. “Trust me.”

I smirk, crouching down quickly, as Kevin and Josh mimic behind me. I go running, them right behind me, right along the edge of the field, avoiding the other team, and ending right by the bench.

“She’s as good as new coach. I just suggest only throwing her the ball during desperate times.”, Alison says, shrugging. “Kdvin, Dylan, Kendall, you three and our normal, get out there.”

And we all position ourselves. Ready for a win on our first game.

♠ ♣ ♠

We won! Alison’s judgement was perfect! And coach wants her at every practice. We were all out by the beach, with pizza and milkshakes, celebrating.

“That was so awesome! I loved watching the entire game!”, Alison says, smiling from ear-to-ear. “Except for you getting hurt.”, she adds quickly. “And everyone checking the rule-book.”, she mutters, barely audible.

“They what?!”, I say, nearly choking on my bite of pizza.

“They’re checking to see if it’s against the rules for a girl to play on an all-boys football team.”

“Why? Melody’s better than that entire team of theirs!”, Dylan says angrily.

“Because they find it as an unfair advantage with the whole ‘never hit a girl’ rule. And because it was a shocking discovery to see Melody running with the boys.”, Alison says, shrugging. “I find it as a load of crap.”

“Well, at least psychics are on my sides.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “Oh, and when’s the next practice?”

“In a few weeks. Like, two?”, Alison says sadly. “Does that mean I have to go back to Kentucky until then?”

“Nah. I think we’re good.”, Kevin says, smirking. “And I need help with math …”

“And history,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “You’ve been around for over five-hundred years, and I already know more history than you.”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t rub it in.”, Kevin grumbles. “Just tutor me. Or I’ll have to quit football.”

“Okay. As long as I can stay here with you all.”

“That’s unfair.”

“No. That’s common sense,” and she rolls her eyes. “And I’m not in your math class.”

“Well, I’ve got a mountain of work in my room.”

“I’ll help you,” Alison says, shrugging. “But I also have to help Josh. He’s flunking homeroom. Anybody know how that’s possible?”, and she eyes me suspiciously.

“I hardly ever glance at him, Alison.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “He’s like an annoying fly. That I can’t seem to kill.”

“Yeah, besides, he’s also flunking English.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes. “And then you’re both flunking Science?”

“I hate your psychic-ness,” Kevin grumbles.

“But you love it, too,” Alison says smugly. “Oh, and Nina, can you help me with Science, too. I really suck with Science.”

“Umm, sure,” Nina says, staring at Alison oddly.

“I’m not gonna use some kind psychic thing to cheat, Nina. I don’t even think that I am psychic.”, Alison grumbles. “I’d rather learn and be successful, than cheating and idiotic.”

“You have trouble with Science?”, I ask, personally shocked.

“Yeah, I’m only thirteen. And I’m a seventh grader. I’m smart, but not that smart.”, Alison grumbles, looking down.

“You got held back?”, Tacey snickers, as her and Thunder come walking down.

“Hmm, no. And at least I’m not flunking.”, Alison says, smirking. “And we’re outside of school grounds. So I can do this.”, and in the blink of an eye Alison was sitting on Tacey’s back, smirking. “She attacked me.”

“Sooo … Alison … what are the answers for the test this Monday?”, Josh asks uncomfortably.

“Oh, it’s A, B, not gonna happen!”

“What’s the point of a psychic when she won’t give you the answers?!”, Josh yells, looking around.

“Alison doesn’t do cheating,” Max says, smirking.

“Then how is she passing?”

“Okay, here’s my secret! I do this new thing called studying.”, Alison says, smirking. “You should try it. You know, after I teach you how to read.”

“I hate you.”

“Aww, thank you! The feeling is shared!”, Alison says sarcastically, smiling, soon biting into a slice of pizza.

“You’re so weird, Alison,” I say, rolling my eyes. “But weird in a good way.”

“You think I care?”

“I just wanna pass, witch.”, Josh says, glaring at her.

“Can I have my cats here?”

“What?!”

“You’re magical, you can transport stuff. I want my poody and kitty. And you want to pass English, Math, and homeroom.”

“I’m failing homeroom?”

“And every other subject.”

Great,” and Josh grabs Alison. “You owe me.”

“I owe you nothing, Joshua Kendrick Nathanson.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t care.”, and they were gone. Like a speed of lightning. I stood up, Ash, Nina, Kevin, Dylan, Sissy, and Max soon following.

“Well, where do you think you’re going, Melody?”, Tacey sneers.

“Away from you,” I growl, already running behind them, trying to track them. “I’m gonna murder him.”

“I really wish you would include me. He’s been my problem for over a five-hundred years!”, Kevin growls.

“Well, I’m pretty sure none of us really wanna go on Thunder territory.”, I say, flying up to the cloud, slightly darker than my own. “Josh!!”

“Oh, hey Melody,” Alison says, skipping around over to me. “You all under estimate me too much.”

“So you killed my brother?!! And didn’t even tape it for me?”, Kevin yells.

“Nope. He’s in his house. Trying to heal his hand,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “I may be young and human, but I’m not stupid and powerless.”

“What’d you do to his hand?”, Sissy asks, frowning.

“Stabbed it.”

“Wha— why?”, I ask, doing a double-take.

“He was holding a knife to my throat. Gosh! In the court of law, it’s called ‘self-defense.’”, Alison says, rolling her eyes. “And I don’t personally like sharp things.”

“Yeah, well I do,” Josh growls, glaring.

“So? All you had to do was get me Tipsy and Piggy, Josh. You’re such an idiot.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes.

“Well, c’mon, lets get you to the cloud.”, Max says, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her along beside him. The rest follow, but I stay, glaring at him even after everyone was out of sight.

“And you wonder why I won’t go out with you.”, I growl.

“Look, Melody, I’m sorry —”

“Save it. You don’t mean it. You just think I’m some kind of prize that you can win with apologies and some fancy stuff. Well, did you ever think that maybe I don’t want to go to Paris because I always wanted to go. Maybe actually thought that you changed.”, I say, tears filling my eyes. “But now I realize you’re just the same jackass you were last year. And that nothing’s ever gonna change that.”

And I ran away from him, straight into my house, into my room, and cried. I couldn’t believe it. That I had actually started falling for Josh. That I had actually believed that he had changed. It was unbelievable. That I had been so foolish. That I had been so naive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Good? Bad? Comments? Please?