Status: Active

Blood Streaked Moon

Run, Don't Walk

The sun had set causing the evening to become dark in Montville (New London County), Connecticut where the Mohingan – called Mohegan by non-Indians – reservation was located; their village reservation was one of many in Connecticut.
Tonight was one of many special occasions, this one being for the arranged engagement between Zander Occom and Janella Rafael. Their parents were very old fashioned and close, therefore they set up the arrangement.

Janella's father was just about to end his incredibly long celebration speech. "I'm so blessed to finally unite the Occom and Rafael family in one. I pray to the gods that Zander and Janella may have a wonderful marriage with each other." Once he was done, everyone in the Mohingan tribe broke out into applause and wolf-whistles. The soon-to-be-married couple beamed happily next to Istas Rafael, the father of Janella.
The celebrating was a sight to be seen; everyone looked so happy and cheerful in the light of the fire. Nothing seemed like it could damper their joyful spirits.

Seline Reyes watched the happy couple nearby, her eyes watching their happy smiles and careless laughter and if you looked a small smile could be detected on her lips, though she was usually quite serious. Being the alpha of the Mohingan wolf pack was a serious responsibility, which caused Seline to be observant, careful, serious, and a little distant. Lately, she had been on edge and far more distant than normal. She had noticed something in the woods; a slight scent and some movement, though it could have been her imagination since she hadn’t gotten much more than a few hours of sleep lately. The dark circles and bags under her eyes were the result of her poor sleeping ethic but she wouldn’t rest until she knew everyone was safe.
Seline had yet to notice anything that night but she wasn’t going to let her guard down. Tonight was a special night for Janella and Zander, for everyone and she knew something was out there, just waiting for her to slip up; she wasn’t about to let anything happen to all of the people in the village who were basically her family.

Seline quietly disappeared into the mysterious and dark forest. She sensed something evil was coming closer and closer to the Mohingan reservation. Being the Alpha, she couldn't just sit around waiting for whatever it is to strike any time soon. She must protect her people, her family, her home. Janella scanned through the crowd. At the corner of her eye she saw her best friend, Seline, disappear in the forest. I wonder where she's going, Janella thought.
"Zander, I'll be right back. I have to check something." Janella told her fiancée. Zander smiled and nodded, since he was already in a conversation with some of the elders. Janella slipped into the forest, following Seline with a good distance in between them. Seline, completely unaware of being followed, morphed into her wolf-self to cover more ground then just being a human. She hid behind a tree, quickly undressed herself, and morphed into a beautiful creature beyond belief. Her wolf-self quickly began running off, her nose tracking the scent of the evil source that was out to get the Mohingan tribe. Janella, still right behind her, did the same as she did. Once she morphed into a wolf, she forgot to clear her mind of thoughts, so that Seline wouldn't know she's following her. But her cover was blown. Seline back-tracked from following the scent and ran to Janella.

Seline’s POV

Dang it, Janella! You should be back there with Zander! This is your celebration after all. I thought, growling slightly and pushed my nose against Janella’s side. Go back; I’m fine out here alone.

Come on Seline. You can’t do this yourself. What happens if you get hurt and none of us are here to help you? We would lose our Alpha. Janella’s thoughts were more calm and respectful, but worried. Her nose lowered toward the ground as she whined; she didn’t want me in danger.

Zander is my beta. He’s next in line to take over; the rest of you would be fine. I insisted, trying to get her to go back, my concentration now lost along with the scent she had been following. I lost it! I lost the scent! I growled my wolf body tense and shaky as I took a slash at a tree with my claws before sighing.

Janella whined, lying on the ground with her paw over her nose. I’m sorry Seline.

I clawed the ground and sighed impatiently. It's fine Janella. It wasn't your fault anyways. But please, next time leave me to do this by myself, would you? I don't want to worry about you the same time I'm tracking something as important as this was.

Janella growled at me, Seline, you of all people should know that I can take care of myself. I wouldn't burden you, okay? You don't need to worry about me.

Thinking it through, I looked at Janella, I know. But as the Alpha, I have to take care of the Mohingan tribe. It's natural for me to worry about everyone. I take precautions. It's just a thing about me that you have to live with.

Janella gave me a wolf-grin, Yeah; I have learned to live with that. You worry too much.

I just shook my head. Well let's go. Your fiancée must be wondering where you are and plus, I can't keep you away from everyone else. It's your day Janella. Enjoy it.

She nodded her head, prancing back to the rez. You know what bothers me, Seline? Janella said through her thoughts.

What? I thought back, walking in front of her.

Janella seemed sort of hesitant to tell me this, Zander didn't imprint on me and I didn't imprint on him. I'm happy to get married to him, but what if I eventually find the one later on in life? Or if Zander imprints on someone else. What would happen?

Janella, I sighed. You worry too much. We have never left the Connecticut, if he was going to imprint on anyone here then he would have already. Imprinting is rare remember? You’ve heard the legends. It’s not guaranteed that any of us will EVER imprint.

I know Seline but what if- Janella began her thought but stopped as screams broke through the crisp night air.

The tribe! I yelled in my mind, racing quickly toward the village. No, no, no!

What’s happening?! Janella asked, fearful from the horror in the scream.

Whatever I have been hearing and smelling is at the village! I explained, running quickly to the edge of the village but stopped dead in my tracks, my eyes wide. No.

Janella stared in horror, her large brown wolf eyes becoming even bigger. No way… No, this can’t be happening! It can’t! Zander… Mom… Dad… Everyone’s dead.

My claws dug into the ground beneath my paws, a saddened howl coming from me. I should have been here! I could have protected them. I let my head drop, my body shaking as tears dropped from my eyes. Those bloodsuckers are going to pay… I won’t let them get away with this! My thoughts were thick with emotion; anger, sadness, remorse, and so much more.

We stumbled into a village filled with death. Every single body was drained of every last drop of blood and left on the ground in heaps of corpses. The sight was ugly and gruesome; some bodies had been mangled and torn while others were left intact but you could see the looks of horror that crossed their faces before they had been ruthlessly murdered. It was like those tragic moments in fancy Hollywood films. Except, this was real life. Not some gruesomely made-up, fantasy story conjured up to keep movie lovers on the edge of their seats.

I watched bitterly as Janella broke down in sobs that would make the happiest person in the world kneel on the ground beside her and cry their eyes out.
I can't believe this happened… I thought, heart-broken. I felt pity for Janella. Today was her day. She was engaged to be married... And all of this happened. My eyes grudgingly scanned all of the lifeless, broken bodies of her loved ones. Why... Why did this have to happen?! It wasn't fair. The tribe didn't deserve this kind of tragedy. Janella... I whimpered, nudging Janella's neck with my nose.

Janella continued to sob, shifting her attention to me. Gone… All gone. She sobbed.

I… know. You should, I paused and shifted my weight from one paw to another, say goodbye. My thoughts were like a whisper, almost like they weren’t even there.

Say goodbye? Janella shivered at the words. I can’t say goodbye, this has to be a dream…

More like a horrible sadistic nightmare. I corrected, my ears lowered against my head. We have to hurry. We must leave before they come back; they will know we survived. They can smell us just like we can smell them.

By now Janella had become utterly depressed, her grief overpowering as she looked over all the bodies and winced when she noticed her parents and Zander close together. She solemnly trotted over and sobbed, giving them a tear-filled goodbye. Meanwhile I stared over all the corpses, feeling a vicious pang in my heart when I noticed my mother, father, and younger twin brother and sister. We both stared at our families frozen in horror at it all, knowing that the vampires took no pity or mercy on any of them.

Janella, we have to go… I thought softly, slowly backing away from my family that all lay dead.

But- Janella protested.

Now! I growled, trotting over and pushed her with my head. I knew it was going to be hard to leave but I knew if I didn’t act strong and command Janella to leave, then I was sure we would never be able to.
Janella looked mournfully at the still-intact-but-dead bodies of her mother, father, and Zander. Janella knew she had to listen to me, since I am the Alpha and all, but I could tell it was practically impossible to say goodbye; it was hard for me too.

Janella, NOW. I commanded bitterly. I knew Janella sensed that I didn't want to leave the Mohingan reservation either, it was our home. Janella got up, obediently and started to run alongside me. We traveled hours without saying a word to each other.

I had this feeling, in my spirit, that something on the west side of the United States of America would help us. It was a feeling of hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit;; Run, Don't Walk By Hey Monday

Hey guys. First chapter of my joint story. My co-author, Rayna, doesn't have a Mibba and I haven't talked her into getting one yet so I'm posting on my own here. We're both excited about this story and hope you love it as much as we do!

Comments, Subscriptions, Feedback, etcetera are highly appreciated! :D

--Alyssa <3