Status: Active <3

Money Can't Buy This Kind Of Happiness

Chapter Two

Courtney

I was woken up on that bright summer morning by the little birds that were sitting in a tree outside my window, as cheesy as that sounds. I stretched and sat up in my bed. I threw off my covers and slid my feet into my warm fluffy slippers. I shuffled into the hallway and down the stairs.

I realized when I got to the bottom of the staircase, I noticed that no one was up and about. I looked up at the clock that was hanging on the wall.

“Only 8:00?” I sighed, brushing my hair back. I walked into the kitchen, not expecting any of the chefs to be up.

“What are you doing in here?” I heard a voice ask me. I turned around to see Jake. He was grimacing at me with a package of raw bacon in his hands.

“I didn’t think anybody would be in here. It’s my house, I can go in any room I want.” I scoffed.

“Whatever.” he grumbled as he slammed the package on the counter.

“Oh and by the way, I was wrong too.” I said, which caught his attention because he looked right at me with his arms folded across his chest.

“You really are filthy.” I said before I turned and stormed out of the kitchen, leaving Jake speechless.

I knew that had to be the worst thing I could’ve said to him. But it wasn’t like he hadn’t hurt me first. Even though he probably deserved it, I still felt terrible.

I turned around and went back into the kitchen to see Jake frying up some bacon. He looked up to see who it was. When he saw it was me, he immediately looked away.

“Jake that was way too mean I’m sorry.” I said softly.

“Whatever.” he mumbled, shrugging a shoulder.

“And I apologize for leading you on. I didn’t know I was.” I added. Jake’s expression softened as he looked back at me.

“It’s fine. I shouldn’t have called you spoiled. I’m sorry.” he said softly.

“Thank you.” I said softly, not really knowing what to say. I walked over to the stove where Jake was picking up the finished bacon with a pair of tongs onto a serving dish.

“Need any help?” I laughed.

“No Courtney I’m good.” he laughed, “I have help this time. The rest of the chefs aren’t busy serving like they were last night.”

“Then I’ll just sit here and keep you company.” I said cheerfully.

“You should probably get dressed first.” Jake chuckled. I ran out of the kitchen and into my bedroom. I threw open the doors of my walk in closet and looked around. I found my favorite blue wrap blouse and took it off the hanger. I put it on and tied the belt on. I grabbed my A-line mini skirt and put that on. I went into the back of my closet where my shoes were. I grabbed a pair of black pumps and slid my feet into them.

I walked out of my closet and into my bathroom and found my tube of lipgloss and put a fresh coat on my lips. I grabbed my eyeliner and put it on. I frantically ran back into my room and grabbed my black sheer headband. I put on some blue earrings and my gold necklace. When I finally got to my engagement ring, I stopped.

I picked up the ring with my fingers and stared at it. It looked like it lost its sparkle. I sighed and slid it on my finger. I walked out of my bedroom and down the wooden staircase.

“Courtney! You’re up and dressed!” Mom said happily when she saw me.

“Mom. When did you get up?” I asked.

“Oh just a few minutes ago. Wyatt came to see you.” she said with a big grin on her face.

“Where is he?” I asked, looking at the empty spot on the couch next to my mom.

“Oh he’s in the kitchen.” she answered. I fought the urge to groan. I walked quickly into the kitchen to see what mean thing Wyatt was going to do this time.

“Wyatt!” I called when I opened the kitchen door. Wyatt was standing by the kitchen counter and I could tell Jake was disgusted just by the look on his face.

“Courtney you dressed up just for me?” he said as he made his way towards me. I responded with a faint smile as he wrapped me into a hug. I ended the hug by pulling away, but maintaining my smile. He lifted up my hand and looked at my engagement ring.

“I love how this ring looks on you,” he said with a cocky smile. I chewed on my tongue to avoid rolling my eyes.

“Crap!” I heard Jake snap. Wyatt and I looked at Jake to see what his issue was.

“We’re out of eggs.” he mumbled. Wyatt rolled his eyes as if Jake’s problem was irrelevant.

“Then go to the store and get some.” he grumbled.

“I’ll come with you.” I said cheerfully, “I’ll go get my purse and we’ll go.”

Jake smiled at me as I turned and ran upstairs to grab my blue shoulder bag.

Jake was waiting at the front door when I came back with my bag. Wyatt and my mom gave me a strange look as I walked out of the house with Jake.

“I’ll drive!” I declared as I took my keys out of my bag. Jake chuckled at my enthusiasm as he got into the passenger seat.

We talked all the way to the grocery store and we really got to know each other. I found out that he loves playing music and he plays the guitar, the piano, the violin, and the drums. Then he told me about his family, which made me almost tear up. His father died when he was little and he barely remembers him and his mom died before he turned thirteen and he’s lived with his grandparents ever since.

“Go right there.” Jake said, pointing to a parking lot.

“Albertsons…?” I mumbled.

“You’ve never heard of Albertsons?” Jake asked.

“No. Whenever we needed food, someone else did it for me.” I mumbled, suddenly feeling stupid. I pulled up in a parking spot that was right by the door and turned off the car.

“Well, there’s a first time for everything.” Jake chuckled. I chuckled with him as we got out of the car.

When we walked inside the automatic sliding doors, a cold breeze welcomed us. I shivered and rubbed my arms.

“Here, want my sweater?” Jake offered as he started to unzip his hoodie.

“Thanks,” I said as I put on his sweatshirt. He picked up a shopping basket and we started walking.

“Wow, this place is so nice. I should start doing the grocery shopping myself.” I said, smiling at the displays of mini cupcakes. Jake chuckled at my admiration and continued walking.

We got to a little refrigerator with cartons of eggs. Jake grabbed two cartons and dropped them in the shopping basket.

“That’s all we needed?” I asked, still staring googly eyed at my new surroundings.

“Courtney, you’re acting like a kid who’s going to Disneyland for the first time.” Jake laughed.

“Well, it feels like I’m at Disneyland for the first time. Who knew grocery stores were so…nice” I said cheerfully.

“Oh yeah, they’re amazing.” Jake said, still laughing as we walked towards the check out lines. When we got to the check out line, there was an old lady at the register.

She smiled at us as Jake put down the egg cartons.

“How long have you two been together?” she asked as she put the cartons into a paper bag.

“Uh, we’re not together.” Jake said softly.

“What made you think we were?” I asked, suddenly feeling guilty, although I didn’t have a reason to.

“Just the way you were looking at each other.” she chuckled as she handed the paper bag to Jake. We both smiled awkwardly as we rushed out of the store and into the car.

“I don’t look at you weird, do I?” I asked after an almost painful silence.

“No. Do I?” he asked. I shook my head and there was more silence, only it wasn’t so painful. I stared into his gorgeous green eyes. He raised his hand and brushed my hair behind my ear. I bit my bottom lip, tasting my bubble gum lip gloss.

We leaned in slowly and a part of me wanted to stop myself but the other part of me thought screw it.

Our lips finally met and I felt like I was on cloud nine. I felt his arms slowly wrap around my waist. I knew that anyone who was walking by would see. But no one in my social circle came around here. That sounded mean but it’s true.

I felt his fingers tugging on the belt on my blouse, which made me pull away.

“Courtney…I’m sorry…I…” he stopped himself and covered his face in shame. I put my hand on his shoulder and kissed his cheek lightly.

“Don’t worry about it,” I said softly. I turned back to the steering wheel and jammed the key into the ignition.

It was a very awkward drive back home. We weren’t freaking over the kiss, that wasn’t the problem. It was the fact that I almost threw down with a guy who I’d known for a day. But it didn’t feel like a day. It felt like I’d known him for years. I felt so comfortable with him. He didn’t treat me any different because I was a rich girl.

When I was with him, I felt normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Courtney's pajamas from the beginning of the chapter and her outfit for the rest of the chapter, which I thought was CUTE lol soooo question time! Leave a comment telling me how you think this story will end and if you want to, throw in what you think will happen to Wyatt, Jake and Courtney :D

Thanks to Life'sCatastrophe for being my first commenter lol xD