Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 13

The season had kicked off earlier the same evening with a very disappointing overtime loss (4-3) against their biggest rivals the Canadiens, on home ice at the Air Canada Center and for the first time, Katie had experienced a loss up-close. Luke had gotten her a ticked and for the first time she’d seen her favorite NHL team live, on home ice, but it also let her see the disappointment the players felt afterwards, giving her a whole new appreciation for what they did. It really wasn't a pretty sight.

She’d experienced losing a game many times before, she had played sports herself and all her siblings had or did too, but it clearly wasn't on such a serious level and it came as a bit of a shock how down they all were. Obviously they would be sad and disappointed, but…for some reason she hadn’t realized just how disappointed they actually got after a loss.

Leaving the arena with Luke, she had no idea what to do or say to him as nothing would make the sting of loosing easier to deal with. Simply reaching across the car and lacing their fingers together, she gave him a small smile before looking back out the window at the passing streets of the city.

Watching her from the corner of his eye, Luke knew that she didn’t realize just how much that little gesture meant to him in that moment. It meant more to him than any words ever could.

Squeezing her hand, he brought it up to his lips and placed a soft kiss just below her knuckles, hoping that his gratefulness would be noticed without him having to say something. She wasn't the only one not knowing what to say.

Continuing to drive through the dark streets under silence, their thoughts were wandering in different directions, unaware of the other.

As the season was kicking off, and it was an Olympic year meaning that the games was even more closely pushed together than usually, he knew that opportunities to go on dates would be sparse and very hard to come by, unless they had a long stretch of home games. So he’d promised he would take her out after the game, just to a small, inconspicuous place or for takeout back at his place, but he hadn’t expected to feel just as bad as he did after the game.

The loss, it sucked!

He was clearly not in the mood for any kind of date so he was taking her back to her apartment before heading home to his own to wallow in self-pity after his less than mediocre performance in the game.

Parking on the street outside the building, he followed her up the stairs to her door, even though she’d insisted that he didn’t have to and stopped a short distance away from her as she unlocked the front door.

Turning around she looked up at him just as he took her face in his hands and kissed her hard, some of his frustration from the game pouring into the kiss.

“I leave tomorrow around noon, so I’ll try and call you before we take off,” he mumbled as he rested his forehead against her, not opening his eyes, only smiling softly as she ran her fingers through his short hair.

“Please do,” she agreed softly, watching as his eyes fluttered open and he looked down at her.

“You’re too good for me,” he stated, kissing her once again before letting her go.

“That’s what you think,” she joked, hoping it wasn't too early and glad to see a smile at least tugging at the corners of his lips.

Opening the door, letting it glide up into the apartment she watched him turn and push his hands into his pockets as he slowly approached the stairs. Biting down on her lower lip, she let her feelings overrule her head and practically throwing her bag into the flat, she reached out and grabbed the sleeve of his jacket. Startling him she used his surprise and pulled him back to her.

“What…?” he asked confused as he looked at her, surprise clearly written across his features.

“Don’t talk,” she replied, her voice huskier than normal as she stepped closer to him and pressed her lips against his, her hands planted firmly against his cheeks as she kept him from protesting.

The night would have counted as their fourth date and – almost tragically – they hadn’t past second base yet… It wasn't that either of them were particularly ‘good’, it just never happened, the timing never seemed right, the opportunity never presented itself…they just hadn’t gone further.

Wrapping her arms around his neck, she smiled into the kiss as his hands found her hips and she began backing them into the apartment. Taking her lead he kicked the door shut as they advanced through the hallway and neither of them really wasted anytime shedding their jackets stepping out of their shoes, simply leaving them in heaps on the hardwood floors.

Slipping his hands under the hem of the blue jersey he’d given her, he groaned into the kiss as he realized she hadn’t worn anything beneath it and his hands found her warm skin immediately. Pushing the jersey higher he soon pulled it over her head and dropped it on the floor as he recaptured hers lips and she started tugging on his tie. Never before had he despised it as much as he did just then.

Getting rid of the striped tie that was actually quite nice, she let it drop to the floor and began unbuttoning his shirt, trying hard to keep her head clear as his lips trailed down the side of her neck, nipping at places and sucking on others. She literally grew weak in the knees as he reached one of those spots in the crook of her neck and she couldn’t keep a soft moan from escaping her lips as he nibbled slightly harder on it.

Managing to push the shirt over his broad shoulders just as he backed her up against the wall outside her bedroom she let it fall to the floor as she reciprocated his actions and let her hands wander over all the newly exposed skin. Warm and slightly tanned skin that felt amazing under her hands as he once again captured her lips in a heated kiss.

The height difference driving him crazy, he ran his fingers down her bare sides till he reached her hips and he easily hoisted her upwards without breaking the kiss. Her long legs wrapping themselves around his waist, she ran her fingers through his short hair and brought him even closer.

Wrapping his arms around her defined waist, he continued into the bedroom, carrying her as she kissed her way down his neck.

Setting her down on the large bed he’d cursed the first time he’d seen it, he groaned slightly as her fingers trailed down his defined chest, stopping just above his belt buckle. A smirk across her lips she pressed light kisses to his lower abdomen as she unbuckled his belt before undoing his dress pants, easily pushing them down his hips and letting them fall to the floor, his phone, keys and whatever else he had in the pockets hitting the hardwood floors with a heavy thud.

Her hand in the back of his neck, she pulled his lips back to her own as she moved higher on the bed, forcing him to follow her.

Kissing his way own her neck and chest he quickly unbuttoned her jeans and pulled them down her long lean legs before kissing his way back up the length of her body, his hands trailing over every curve, imprinting each and everyone to his memory.

Capturing her lisp again he moaned slightly as she trailed her nails over the bar skin of his back and he reached behind her back, easily unclasping her bra and pulling it down her arms before dropping it on the floor.

“Luke…” she arched her back as he covered her breasts with his hands, teasing her nipples with the rough pads of his thumbs.

Smirking against her skin, he captured her lips once again, there was no doubt in either of their minds that what was happening was going to change their relationship forever. But neither of them had any thoughts of stopping as their last pieces of clothing were lost and they joined as one…