Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 45

The sound of the radio being the only tangible sound in the large condo, Katie was half lying in the couch in the living room, her swollen feet resting on the coffee table. Actually they weren’t all that swollen yet cause it was still rather early in the day, but she figured she could use that excuse anyway, even if Luke had called her out on it a couple of days before. The only time she’d cursed him for reading all those pregnancy and baby books.

She was along in the apartment and despite the Kanye West song that played on the radio, she was too lazy to move from her place in the couch. Luke had left a while earlier to go work out before training camp started and he’d been nice enough to make breakfast for her before he left. But that also left her in the couch, with absolutely no desire of getting up again.

Slowly reading through the newspaper, that as always during the summer, was slimmer than usual, she stifled a yawn. It always surprised her just how little that managed to happen during the summer, it was as if everything from natural disasters to criminals knew to wait till fall rolled around and to stop when spring ended…

Ignoring a very cheeky text from her older sister, she went back to reading through the sport section, the only thing that seemed the least bit interesting in the entire paper. Or that could have been cause of the World Cup that had just ended, Spain won it, much to her enjoyment. Canada wasn't in it, so she had to use her back up team…those Spanish lads always did it for her…

Turning the pages in the paper, she stopped as her eyes landed on a particular ad. Reading through it, a slow smile spread across her lips before she reached for her phone once again, ignoring another text from her sister as she dialed a now familiar number.

“What are you…?” Luke said surprised as Katie practically attacked him as he arrived back home from practice. He literally didn’t make it more than just a couple of feet inside the condo before she appeared, grabbing his hand and pulling him with her towards the front door.

“Just go along with this,” she told him as she grabbed her keys and tugged him through the front door. Having learned early on that she was stubborn, a quality that seemed to have tenfold as she was just a week or so shy of being eight months pregnant, he knew better than to argue with her and simply let her drag him through the building.

He was a bit confused with the sudden urge to practically jog through the building, but he kept shut as they traveled down with the elevator, arriving at the garage. Following her to her Volvo, he did voice his concerns about her driving, but was quickly shot down as she glared at him and quietly got into the passenger seat.

“Are you going to tell me where we are going?” he wondered, glancing over at her as she was driving up from the garage.

“No,” she shook her head, a sneaky smile across her lips as she kept her eyes focused straight forwards.

“Will I like it?” he tilted his head, looking at her curiously.

“Maybe,” she said vaguely, the smile still firmly in place across her lips.

Nodding slowly, he settled back in the seat and watched the city pass by outside. He trusted her so he resigned himself to the fact that she wasn't about to tell him anything till they were actually there. Wherever they were actually going.

They drove through the city, on freeway as well as through a couple of different neighborhoods before she slowed down to a stop on a residential street, leaving him frowning deeply.

“Katie…” he trailed off, looking over at her.

“Just go with it,” she smiled at him before pulling the key from the ignition and unbuckling her seatbelt.

Looking after her, he shook his head slightly before following her lead and stepping out of the small car. Smiling softly as she took his hand, he let her tug him along the sidewalk in a neighborhood he couldn’t recall having visited before.

They walked passed a couple of houses and he was on the verge of asking what they were really doing there as he saw her wave at someone and as they got close, he recognized the woman as Veronica, their real estate agent.

“Katie?” he wondered, looking down at her.

“Give it a shot,” she smiled at him, standing on her tippy toes as she brushed her lips against his. “I saw it in the paper this morning, and now we’re looking at it. She was just about to call me when I called her,” she admitted.

“Alright,” he nodded slowly. He could go with that, he smiled as he let her lead the rest of the way to the house that was up for sale.