Sequel: Run the Show

Somebody Needs You

Chapter 48

She did squeeze his hand.

And moments later she slowly began waking up. Her eyes fluttered open and he quickly called for a nurse.

A band of different doctors and nurses passed through the room, every single one performing some kind of test on her.

“You scared me out of my mind,” Luke admitted in a whisper when the last doctor had left.

“How long was I out for?” the doctors had explained most of what happened to her, that she’d had the baby, a healthy son at 08.48pm on August 19, who was exactly 20 inches long and who weighed in at 7lb3oz and had her dark blonde hair.

“Almost three days,” he told her, running his fingers through her soft hair.

“Wow,” she breathed, looking up at him.

“Everyone’s here,” he revealed, smiling softly at the horrified look that spread across her features.

“Who’s everyone?” she questioned carefully.

“Your parents and your sibling as well as your nieces,” he ticked off. “My family, Drew’s here and I barely managed to stop Steven from flying up from Tampa,” he continued. “You gave us quite a scare,” he told her.

“I'm sorry,” she smiled at him, reaching up and brushing her fingers over his cheek.

“You did nothing wrong,” he stated frankly as there was a knock on the door. “And I love you,” he smiled at her as he stood up and let go of her hand before walking over to the door. Smiling at his own mother he carefully took the baby from her arms and returned to the chair by Katie’s bed.

“This is our son,” he said softly, the boy was awake and he didn’t want him to start screaming right at that moment.

“He’s adorable,” she smiled widely, pushing herself higher in the bed, winching slightly at the pain that shot through her lower abdomen.

“He is,” he agreed gently passing the baby towards the woman that literally held his heart in his hands.

Looking at the baby who had eyes identical to Luke’s, tears filled her eyes and she carefully ran her finger down his chubby cheek. “Hi,” she whispered as she could almost feel like he was sizing her up, wondering who she was. “I'm your mummy,” she smiled softly as she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the small baby.

“We have to figure out a name,” Luke whispered, not wanting to break the connection that was forming right before his eyes.

“Right,” she nodded slightly. “What name did you say? When we first talked about it?” she asked, barely glancing over at him.

“James, or Jamie really,” Luke tried to remember, they’d been over so many names that he barely could remember them all. “Why?” he observed her. “You have a name you think should fit him?”

“Yeah,” she nodded slightly, running her hand over the baby’s head, smiling as his hands flexed and she gladly let him take her finger, holding onto it with surprising strength.

“Lucas James Schenn.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm a total romantic at heart, I just didn't have it in me to kill Katie, so this is what happened. Anyway, I thought you might like some visual of the little one

Jamie Schenn

So this is the last chapter, but there's an epilogue coming as well =)