Strangle

1/1

He screams and he cusses at me and all I do is beg on one dislocated knee with my hands clasped in front of me. Out of my mouth tumbles, "Mercy, mercy!" My words are so messy and tangled so I use my fingers to put them back into place and keep crying to him and kissing his shiny black loafers. He kicks me in the face and watches as my nose bleeds and I scramble around the apartment trying to find tissues, my mouth tastes like aluminum foil and I choke on my ingot blood.

I run for the door but he blocks it and bundles my wiry hair into his fist and drags me into the bathroom. The bathtub is filled with cloudy brown water and I wonder if something is wrong with our plumbing or if he used it as his latrine, I cringe while trying to grab hold of his wrists. He pushes my head under the water and wiggles me a few times before pulling it out and screaming in my face, "You should've done like I fucking told you!" Then my head goes under again for quite some time and just as my lungs begin to tingle and ache he yanks me out and holds onto my throat, bringing me to the bathroom sink.

His throbbing cerulean veins can be seen through his fair skin and I don't know why I ever thought he was handsome. His eyes are two unlovely shades of green and his hair is always greasy and he smells like sewer water and sour milk because we can't always afford plumbing. Ross is an animal and he makes me afraid.

Ross slams my head against the marble of the sink, again and again and again. It cracks and now I see two of him with their angry red faces and ugly eyes staring into my own. I black out and when I come to, my mother is crying over my hospital bed about how sorry she is that she hadn't believed me and her hazel eyes make me sad and tired. I close my eyes and pretend to sleep but silently take deep breaths and listen to the remainder of her spurious apology.
♠ ♠ ♠
spur of inspiration