We Never Wanted It To Be This Way

No Big Deal

Chapter 6-

“You guys are on in twenty minutes.” Jack informed us as he popped his head in a small room backstage we were using as a dressing room.

I took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

“Everyone to the side of the stage!” Sommer ordered loudly.

I took one final glance in the mirror and followed the others out the door.

We all walked to the side of the stage, were we could just peak out without anyone seeing us, in silence.

I stuck my head out and took in the full crowd of five hundred.

I closed my eyes and bit my lip.

“Nervous?” Hannah asked, placing a hand on my shoulder and peering out also.

“A little.” I admitted.

“You’ll do great. You always do. It’s natural to you Pix. The nerves will be gone before you even get to your drum kit.” Hannah encouraged.

“Let’s hope so.” I said breathlessly.

“Okay, guys, don’t want to freak you out even more – and don’t fake it, I can see it on all of your faces, you’re nervous – but we have some special guests watching the show tonight.” Jack said.

We all stared at him, blank.

“My-“ Jack started.

“Wait, I don’t want to know. It’ll just mess me up.” I said, covering my ears.

“You sure?” Jack smiled.

“Ah, who the hell am I kidding? Of course I want to know.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well, My Chemical Romance decided to show up here and watch you guys play before meeting up with you’s later on.” Jack said as if it wasn’t a big deal.

I closed my eyes again and pushed my forehead against the cold wall.

“I’m gonna fuck up.” I muttered mostly to myself.

“Just pretend it’s just us, no one else.” Kat suggested.

“But… Fuck.” I trailed off.

“You’ll do fine.” Hannah repeated.

“Wow. My Chemical Romance coming to one of our shows, who knew that day would come?” Jazz said, in a trance.

“Three minutes guys.” A show producer informed us.

I took another deep breath.

The lights went out across the stage and plummeted the whole tiny club in darkness. The crowd erupted.

I licked my dry lips.

I took some slow, calming breaths. I still wasn’t used to the whole ‘playing in front of a huge crowd’ thing.

The crowd continued to scream and cheer as someone directed us forward and told us to get on stage.

With one final, uneven deep breath, I stepped forward onto the stage and walked quickly to my drum kit.

I tried not to look into the crowd as I picked up my sticks and tapped the starting beat.

I started playing, feeling a little better, as Jazz started strumming, and Sommer yelled out for the crowd to scream louder.

After the show, I threw my sticks into the crowd and ran offstage, feeling the adrenaline pump through me.

“Great show guys.” Jack praised us as we all collapsed onto a nearby couch.

My body fell limp and weak as I flew onto the black leather couch.

“Are you guys up for anything now?” Jack asked hesitantly, looking around the room.

“Yeah. Yeah. Just, give us maybe an hour.” I replied breathlessly.

“That’s enough I suppose. But if you’re too tired to do anything, tell me and we can reschedule.” Jack warned.

“Whatever.” Kat muttered, turning over onto her stomach.