Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

A Few Years Later...

.3 seconds remaining on the clock. The score was 1-1. Gold Medal game between USA and Canada. Sochi 2014. Rematch of 2010, and boy was the arena going nuts.

“Aunt Katey, whats wrong?” Little Patrick looks up at me from Lizzie’s lap.

“This game, ugh. It is just too much.” I responded rubbing my belly. Good lord, children, calm the fuck down.

Lizzie laughed. “It will be over soon fatty lumpkins.”

I rolled my eyes just as Zach Parise put the puck behind Fleury to win it for the USA with .1 second to go.

With Lizzie and Pat celebrating beside me, I got up as fast as I could to start heading down to the locker room.

The past four years has been crazy. After moving out of mine and Lizzie’s condo, Brent convinced me to move in with him. After several months, we broke up and I moved back to Pittsburgh due to the fact we fought more than ever when we tried living together. A week after I moved back, he showed up on my doorstep, reminding me he would never give up on me.

A year and a half later, he proposed at sunset on the beaches of Southern Italy. And nine months later, I became Katey Seabrook.

The few months leading into the 2013 hockey season was hectic. Between Brent and Patrick being gone to Olympic camps and Lizzie training for the Olympics herself, I poured myself into work and spending time with my favorite little nephew. Then, the month before the new season started, I found out I was pregnant.

To say Brent was overjoyed when he heard two heartbeats on the ultrasound was an understatement. He literally went skipping out of the doctor’s office and called everyone and their mothers sharing the news.

He became, well, a ‘want to know it all’ type of father to be. He asked all of his teammates with kids what to expect and read all the books. It even came down to him not wanting me to fly to Russia for the Olympics.

“Babe, what if something happens over there?”

“Then there are doctors to look at me. This is gonna be the last time I can go anywhere until these babies are born. I am going in end of story.”

I stood in the hallway rubbing my back waiting on Brent to walk out. When he finally did, he looked depressed until he saw me.

I smiled. “Good game.”

He rolled his eyes. “We lost.”

“But think of it this way Brent. Now you have both a silver and a gold medal. One for each baby!”

He laughed. “You would think for the positive.”

Only a few short months later, it was game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals. Blackhawks versus the Penguins.

“I cannot believe you are wearing a Penguins jersey, let alone being able to find one that you could fit into.” Lizzie said rolling her eyes.

I rubbed my hands over my huge stomach. Only a few more days until I could hold my son and daughter. “I am a born and bred Penguins fan. I don’t care who I married, I will support my team to the end.”

And the end came that night, with Patrick Kane’s game winning overtime goal.

As we walked, well waddled, down to the ice, I saw my husband celebrating with Duncan Keith.

“Babe we did it again!” He screamed as he skated over to me by the boards.

I smiled and hugged him as best as I could. “Congrats baby.”

A few seconds later, I felt a very odd sensation and a sharp pain. I grabbed Brent’s hand.

“Brent, I think the babies are coming.”

Fourteen hours later, we became parents to Alice Grace and Logan Ryan.

“Stanley Cup babies! Fuck yeah!” Patrick yelled coming into the room with Lizzie and little Pat.

“Dude. There are babies here.” Brent said rocking Logan in his arms.

“Man, they are both newborns. It isn’t like they can repeat it.”

“Mommy. What does fuck mean?” Little Patrick asked tugging on Lizzie’s sleeve.

I laughed. “Good job Patrick.”

I had everything in life I had ever wanted at that moment, a loving husband, healthy children, and the best friends anyone could ever ask for.

Sometimes stupid mistakes are worth it in the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.

Don't worry we are writing another soon. :)