Sequel: Chasing Happiness.
Status: Finished Please Comment (:

Things Could Be Better, but They Could Be a Whole Lot Worse

1.

Wednesday was the day when all the family got together. By the “all the family” I don’t mean just the ones who live in my house but the whole of my mother’s side of the family. Meaning that at this exact moment in time I was crammed in my room with my favourite cousin, John Cornelius O’Callaghan V, or as I liked to refer to him as: the family con artist as he was always trying to talk me into one of his tricks.

“Come on Lo! It’s just for one night, besides, you know what happened with Charity; I can’t go alone! I'll be a laughing stock, my friends will never live it down. Please just pretend for one night.” His words were begging, falling out of his mouth desperatly. I shook my head as his knees latched onto my leg. I was hoping to not cave under his pressure like I always did.

“John I will not do it! Can't you find some girl your age to do it for you? Why does it have to be me?” I whined as I went to flopped face first on my bed, but with John clinging to my legs it was impossible. I ended up in the same position.

“I trust you Lo, and its one night; I’ll do anything! I'll take you out for ice-cream whenever you want? I’ll give you money? You can crash in my room if you get drunk at a party? I will do anything!” he rambled at me still clinging onto my leg. As he looked up at me giving me the O’Callaghan famous puppy dog eyes, I just rolled my eyes.

“First off, I can get ice-cream whenever I want because I can drive, John. I don’t need your money; you need it more than me with all your antics. And to finish it off when do I ever go to parties? Let alone drink!” I almost yelled; his look faltered when he realised that I was right.

"Come on it's one night! No one will know you there so you can be whoever you wanna be. Just please Lo, do it for me?” he spoke as I looked away. He groveled at me and I felt my wills cracking.

“But why me? Cant you go find an senior girl to go with you John? I’ll be the youngest one there!” he chewed his lip as he thought over what I said.

“Come on, Lo. You know I’d only be doing this if I was desperate! I know how you feel about dances but please? You won't be the youngest, Garrett and Pat are sophmores, too, and they’ve conned these two girls to take them!” he wore a proud smile, having found a way around my excuse.

“Fine, John.” I shrugged as I gave in, knowing that one way or another I'd end up having to do it. He picked me up and spun me around a smile beaming on his face. Finally, he placed me on the ground. I ran a hand through my now wild auburn hair; he just grinned, playfully bounding downstairs at the shout of our names, our stomachs growling at the smell of the food.

After agreeing to help John out of his predicament, I didn’t expect it would mean him picking me up after school to take me dress shopping. This was an awkward thing to do with your cousin especially when his exact words were, “We need to make you so hot that Charity will want to slap you.” Not the kind of statement you want directed at you from your cousin, but then again when is it a normal thing for an eighteen year old boy to take his sixteen year old cousin to his high school Prom to make his ex-girlfriend jealous?

"Here, try this one on," John threw a silver mass of fabric and sequins.

"John, this is slutty. Hot and slutty are two very different things." I threw the dress back over.

"Fine, here, I like this one." The purple pile was tossed over the door of the landed on the floor with a soft thud; I hung it on the wall to look it over before trying it on. When I called John in to zip it up, he looked at me with his jaw dropped. "You're getting that one."

One strap shining with silver charms held the skin-tight bodice up. Right below my hips, the skirt opened up, part of it pinned up with another silver charm, flaring out nicely. With a pair of silver heels, it would skim the floor if I wore a pair of short heels.

"Charity will be so jealous." There was a malice to his voice that scared me just a little bit. "You'll be beating the boys off with a stick, Lo. We better pick up a baseball bat on the way home."

I turned in the mirror, looking at myself from every angle. "I look the same as I always do, John. I'm nothing special."

He kissed my cheek, "You look lovely, all the guys will be telling you it. Come on, get changed, I'll pay, and we'll get something to eat before I drop you off."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?