Sequel: Chasing Happiness.
Status: Finished Please Comment (:

Things Could Be Better, but They Could Be a Whole Lot Worse

2.

As soon as my mother was told that John was taking me to prom, she would not let it drop. It didn’t seem to faze her that it was her own nephew taking me. The reason my mother was this excited, it seemed, was because it was a chance for me to socialise and make new friends, something I didn’t do often. That was the reason I had been forced into this uncomfortable, hard, wooden chair while my mother and her friend pulled and burn my hair until they where pleased. I didn’t even get a word in edge wise about how I wanted it while they pulled bits of my hair before jabbing it in place with a bobby pin. In the end I just sat there with my head in a book, iPod blaring, leaving them to have their fun. When I was released from the chair to put my dress on quickly, I finally got to see what they did with the bird nest I call hair; I stood there, amazed that they had turned my crazy hair into a straight elegant bun in the nape of my neck with a few gems in it, my bangs pulled away from my face by a French plait that went from one ear to the other.

“LO, JOHN IS HERE!” My mothers shrill yell rung upstairs causing me to yelp, breaking me from my trance. I sprinted into my room striped myself of my pyjamas and pulled the dress on hastily. Finally I sprinted downstairs, heels and bag in hand.

“Hey John, don’t you look dapper.” I winked at him as my mom shook her head with a smile, moving to fix his crooked tie.

“Shut up Lo, and hurry, we’re going to be late!” he whined as I rolled my eyes, finally fastening my shoe, waving to my mum before heading out with John.

“Are you rushing to find out who Charity’s date is?” I stated more than questioned as we approached his car, he stopped to open the door for me. I scoffed, noting my mother watching him through our window. John just nodded with a smirk as he climbed into the car himself and headed towards the hotel they were holding prom in.

“So here are the rules: One, under no circumstances are you to tell my friends that you are my cousin. Two, leave the whole story of how we met up to me. Three, you have to dance and be with me at all times to get Charity completely jealous. Okay?” he asked as I rolled my eyes and nodded. My fingers started twiddling on the radio, but he batted my hand away.

“We've arrived.” John announced with a smile as he jumped out of the car and waited for me at the front. I groaned climbing out and approaching him. In my heels, I only reached his shoulder. He chuckled at this and wrapped his arm around me, grabbed my hand, and practically sprinted inside, pulling me behind him as I stumbled in my heels, He finally slowed down upon entering the doors and led me towards a table. “Wait here, I’m just going to ring the guys,” he mumbled walking off before I could reply. I scoffed, noting he already broke his third rule. Only a couple of minutes later I heard voices approaching the table.

“So you find a date man?” A mysterious voice asked. Curiosity got the better of me, I leaned back slightly to eavesdrop.

“Yeah dude, what's her name?” another voice questioned as they got closer.

“Her name's Logan,” I heard John state, and realised that this was the group of friends he was so desperate to impress.

“Logan isn’t that a –“one of them began as I got up from my seat and turned to face them.

“A boy's name?” I finished for him as he blushed. It was only then I took in the incredibly long brown hair and brown eyes. “Yeah, normally.” I added with a slight smile so he wouldn’t feel that bad.

“Well you’re defiantly not a boy,” One of them spoke up as I rolled my eyes, and John hit them around the head.

“So you are?” I asked, attempting to feel polite. I was already feeling awkward. John, seeing the slight tensing in my shoulders, put his arm around my shoulder in what was a brother way, but to them would come off less platonic.

“Oh, I’m sorry Lo. This is Pat,” he pointed to the boy who blushed again; I saw that it was the boy that mentioned that my name was for a male. “This is Kennedy,” he motioned this time to the boy next to Pat, who gave me a shy wave and a smile. I vaguely recognized him from dropping off something at John's before. “Jared” spoken towards a boy that was beaming at me, making me return the smile. “And finally Garrett,” I turned to look at the last boy, who it seemed had turned up out of no where.

“You don’t go to our school,” he stated accusingly as I nodded shyly, not daring to say anything.

“John, why couldn’t I stay home and slay zombies?” I whined as the boys went to go find their dates. John forced us to do a lap of the hall so everyone saw us, and the word could get back to Charity.

“Because you need to be social once in a while, Logan Lottea Laraway. All you seem to do is read, go to school, do homework, and slay bloody zombies.” he spoke quietly as we ended up back at the table where the boys sat.

“I thought you where looking for your dates?” I asked, confused as I sat down at the table next to John.

“Yeah well they weren’t our dates so much as they were our ticket in here.” Pat spoke with a cheeky smile and giggle.

“So, how did you two meet then?” Kennedy asked intrigued as he looked at us. I turned to look at John and gulped.

“Well Logan and I are childhood friends you see,” he started smoothly as I tried to not roll my eyes at his lame story; I tuned out as he continued to tell it. A tap on my shoulder awoke me from my trance and I turned to see a tall, skinny, blonde who stood behind me in the silver dress John had tried to get me to try on.

“It’s a good thing we didn’t get you that little slutty silver dress, isn’t it?” John said in a bored tone as the boys laughed behind us, this only caused the girl’s eyes to narrow.

“Can I speak to you outside?” she stated coldly as I looked from her to John, who shook his head slightly.

“Excuse me, do I know you?” I asked slightly confused about why we where having this confrontation.

“I’m Charity, and you are here with my boyfriend,” she snapped, grabbed my arm, and pulled me out of my seat, leaving her to still tower over me. I stood there like a child being scolded by their mother for stealing a cookie.

“Last I heard he wasn’t your boyfriend; didn’t you cheat on him?” I stated boldly, shocking not only her but myself.

“Yes, but we didn’t officially split up.” she spoke sharply, running her hand through her blonde hair causing me to roll my eyes.

“Charity we are over. Now, if you'd leave me, my date, and my friends alone, you can go now.” John spat at her, coming to stand behind me. She looked at him before giving me a disgusted look and stomped away muttering under her breath about how I looked like a tramp.

“So lets play 20 questions quick fire round!” Pat said jumping up and down in his seat, clapping his hands.

“Okay...” I was slightly scared, but agreed none the less.

“Name?” Jared asked as I raised my eyebrow slightly.

“Logan Lottea Laraway,” I said slightly confused as he just smiled.

“Age?” Kennedy asked smiling at me.

“Sixteen,” I answered, which caused Pat and Garrett high five.

“Zombies or vampires?” Garrett asked as though it was life or death.

“Zombies” I said, almost certainly, which seemed good enough.

“McDonalds or salad?” Pat asked as I looked at them as though he was stupid.

“McDonalds” I said turning to wait for the next question.

“Err, I cant think of any more...” Pat pouted as I turned to look at the rest of them, who shrugged.

“Will you be our friend?” Pat asked suddenly with a childlike smile. I shrugged, unsure of what to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?