Status: GOING BACK TO EDIT

Saving Grace

Chapter Ten

I sat at the breakfast table now dressed in my favorite pair of yoga pants, my I-heart-LA tank top and a pair of my studded flats. My hair was tied back into a long ponytail and I felt more comfortable now that I was wearing my make-up.

I took a bite of my toast before Ross asked, "How did the goober upstairs manage to hook you?"

Bree, who was now awake and fixing herself some toast, shot her middle child a dark look as Jay lightly smacked him behind the head. "Be nice, Ross," he said, his voice stern.

Ross just smiled, smoothing his hair back into place before turning to hear my answer.

After yesterday the story of how John and I met was now memorized. "We were set up by Nick. I knew him from high school and after his constant nagging, I gave in and agreed to go on a blind date."

I was surprised; I didn't stutter for once.

Jay and Ross nodded, turning to the cereal bowls before them. The sound of someone coming down the stairs made me look to the open, arched doorway. John's figure filled the open space and everyone greeted him.

He looked like a zombie, still half asleep. He plopped down in the chair beside me before realizing that his father and brother were sitting across the table. "You're here."

"You always were the observant brother..." Ross snorted.

John shot him a glare with the intensity to kill. "When did you get back?" he asked, looking to his father.

"Late last night. Ross's flight landed early this morning."

I nibbled on my toast, savoring the taste of Bree's home-made jam. Bree sat at the end of the table setting a plate with toast on it before her.

I studied the delicate markings on the wooden table as I allowed my mind to wander.

I decided earlier this morning that Nick was simply busy with the beginning of tour. Things were always hectic when he just got on the road; he was getting adjusted to that kind of life once again. His behavior made more sense with that explanation.

I felt an elbow jam into my ribcage, making me snap out of my thoughts and turn my head to my left to scowl at John. "You lived in Massachusetts all your life, correct?" Bree asked.

I turned to her, blushing after realizing that she had been talking to me the entire time and John had purposely elbowed me to catch my attention. "Oh... yes."

"In Braintree?"

I nodded. "Nick, when he stops in to visit us, speaks highly of Braintree. He absolutely loves it there," Bree said.

I smiled. "Yeah? It is a very nice place, I will admit."

"What do you think of Arizona so far?" Jay asked.

"It's nice, a little too sunny for me, but nice."

Bree laughed at my words. "True."

I was more of a winter person than summer. In winter, you could dress in layers according to weather temperatures whereas in summer, you can only take off so much; I wasn't the kind of girl who enjoyed short-shorts and tank tops.

"John will take you touring this afternoon," Bree said, turning to her breakfast.

"I will?" the boy sitting beside me asked.

Bree nodded. "You will. What do you expect the poor girl to do all day? Stay on the premises? That would be boring. Show her around Tempe."

Maybe he'll show me to an airport. That would be nice.

-----

I pulled my handbag onto my shoulder, as I tagged alongside John. The sun reflected off the choppy surface of the lake spread before us. It was seven and the sun was finally lowered in the sky, though the damage to my complexion was already done. My exposed skin was no longer pale, but a mixture of pink and red. I resembled a tomato.

John had teased me non-stop as we had strolled through the Mill Avenue District, stopping at seemingly hundreds of shops. I did find some interesting things though and forced John to carry my bags to start repaying me for lying to his family.

"Are w-we almost there?" I asked. My feet were sore and in desperate need of a rest. Plus, I wanted a shower and something to ease my burning skin.

"Yes. This is our last stop of the day," he said, glancing over to me. His lips turned into a smile as he looked me over once again. I had the sudden urge to hit someone. He chuckled a little. "I can't believe you forgot sunblock."

"I thought we were finished with this conversation," I said before stalking ahead.

He laughed a little more before picking up his pace to fall into step with me once again. He suddenly hooked his arm through mine and jerked me to the left. I stumbled a little, but easily found my balance.

"This is Tempe Town Lake, one of the main attractions to tourists," he started as he led us to the wall that seemed to circle the water. "This," he turned to the wall, "was finished in 2001."

I looked at the granite tiles in which were placed along the top of the wall. "It was created to tell the story of the past; of how the river once helped the people flourish. It stretches for roughly six miles," John continued, glancing at me. I must have looked wide-eyed because he then added, "Don't worry. We're not walking the length."

I sighed a breath of relief, moving along to the next tile which, instead of a picture, had a poem carved into the granite tablet. "This may seem boring, but I enjoy history. Plus, it's something that doesn't revolve around shopping," John said, tucking his hands in his jeans pockets.

I glanced at him, squinting against the sunlight. "I don't think this is boring."

He smiled as we moved to the next tile. I stopped suddenly when I realized that his words were insulting me. "You know John, just because I am a fashion writer doesn't mean I enjoy shopping all of the time."

"I didn't mean it like that," he said.

I raised an eyebrow at him but let it slide.

"You don't like your job, do you?" John suddenly asked.

I paused, thankfully under the shade of a tree, and turned to him. With my arms carefully crossed, I studied him, wondering where he was going with this. "No, not really," I finally admitted. "Why do y-you ask?"

"You never seemed enthusiastic about that topic, that's all," he said, the setting sun bringing out the tiny brown flecks in his green eyes. "What would you rather be doing?"

A biker caught my attention momentarily before I answered. "I'd still be writing, but not about fashion." He looked like he was about to say something but the sound of my phone ringing broke our conversation. I dug through my handbag and pulled it out after finding it buried beneath the miscellaneous items my purse contained. I glanced at the I.D. before looking to John. "I-I should, I should take this," I stuttered as he nodded and allowed me to walk a small distance for a little privacy. "I love you," I said after accepting the call.

"I love you too," Nick replied. I could see him smiling in my mind. "How's everything going?"

"Good. I've met the complete O'Callaghan family. They seem like very nice people."

"They are very nice people, Amelia," Nick said, his voice sounding almost agitated.

I felt my brow lightly furrow at his tone as I gazed out at the lake surface. I had the urge to apologize by his hurt and angered tone but at the same time I didn't think I did anything wrong. "Don't mess this up... I love you."

"I-I love you too," I said. What was the point of his calls if they only lasted two seconds?

"Bye Amelia."

"Bye," I ended the call and thought Nick's words over.

Was I suppose to be upset with him? 'Don't mess this up'? Did he really doubt my abilities?

Turning back to John's direction, I spotted him exactly where I thought he'd be. The only thing I didn't expect to see was a girl, who he obviously knew by the way they looked by one another.

I sucked in a breath and smoothed my hair, preparing to fall back into the role of John O'Callaghan's girlfriend before walking toward the two.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, I'm back :)
Nick is being kind of a douche, isn't he?
Click here ;)