Sequel: Family Ties
Status: Done! Please check out the sequel!

Welcome to the Family

Safe At Last?

I put my bag on my back, kicked off my flats and ran like a bat outta hell. I wanted to go to Brian’s but I couldn’t go there, he and Michelle were at Johnny’s celebrating his birthday. I’d been invited until I couldn’t go because my parents were coming home. I also had no clue where Johnny lived since I’d only ever gone to Brian’s and once Matt’s while my Mom and Brad were out of town.

I continued running until it felt like my chest was on fire and I was sure that I was far enough away from my house. Now sobbing I collapsed on the sidewalk. What was I going to do? I couldn’t go back to that house. At least not until Brad cooled off. Where was I going to go? The plan for Johnny’s birthday was for everyone to spend the night there and that meant that Brian and Michelle wouldn’t be home until tomorrow night at the latest.

I didn’t even have Brian’s number! For some dumbass reason I’d never put any of the guy’s or girl’s numbers in my phone. Wait! I didn’t but Leana had! She’d put her and Jimmy’s number in my phone the day I’d met her. I grabbed my bag and started searching through it and eventually my hand closed over it.

Smiling a little I pulled it out and found Leana’s number. I hit send and waited for her to pick up.

“Hello?” Leana answered.

“Leana? I-It’s Joey.” I said my voice cracking.

“Oh my god Joey! What’s wrong?” she asked turning from happy as it had been a moment before to serious.

“I know that you’re at Johnny’s and all but do you think you could come pick me up? I’m scared and I can’t stay here anymore.” I replied.

“I’ll be right there? Where are you?” she asked.

“I’m at the corner of Carter St. and Maple Ave. I don’t know exactly how I got here but it’s not too far from my house.” I said.

“Okay hon I know exactly where it is. I’ll be there in a minute.” she said and hung up.

I pulled my knees up under my chin and waited. A few minuets after I called Leana I saw a white car pull up on the street. Brad’s car. I quickly stood up and started walking away. I wasn’t going to get caught by him.

The car honked and I started running. The sound of an engine speeding up filled my ears and I started sprinting as fast as I could, the tears streaming down my face.

The car stopped and suddenly I heard footsteps pounding on the pavement behind me and I continued to run. I didn’t look back. I didn’t want to. My tears blinded me as I ran and before I could see it I tripped over a crack in the pavement and tumbled to my hands and knees.

I felt someone take me by the arm and lift me from the ground. I started clawing at whoever it was, my face screwed up and my eyes blinded by tears.

“Get the fuck off of me!” I screamed.

“Joey! Joey calm down! It’s me! It’s Matt!”

I stopped struggling and looked up to see Matt looking down at me. My body instantly went limp and I fell against his chest, tears falling down my face and soaking his shirt.

“Shh…it’s okay. Leana told us everything. We’re here. C’mon.” he said and lifted me up like I was a little kid and carried me back to the car.

He opened the door and gingerly sat me in the backseat where another set of arms enveloped me.

“Oh Joey. Are you alright?” Leana’s sighed holding me tight.

I nodded into her chest and continued crying because I was so relieved that I was okay.

“What happened?” I looked up and saw Jimmy sitting in the passenger seat of the car.

I tried to tell them but I was sobbing too hard to say anything.

“It’s okay sweetheart you can tell us later.” Jimmy smiled and turned back to the front.

We drove for a few minuets before Matt pulled to a stop and we climbed out. I stood up and gasped as I found that one of my ankles couldn’t support the weight. I must have twisted it when I fell earlier.

Leana, Jimmy and Matt were at my side in an instant, “What’s wrong?” Leana asked.

“I think I twisted it when I fell earlier.” I said.

Without another word Jimmy picked me up and carried me bridal style into the house. Inside everyone was sitting in the living room talking but it stopped as soon as we came in. Everyone rushed over to us we walked in.

“Joey!” Brian said and grabbed me from Jimmy’s arms and hugged me to him.

“I’m so sorry. If I’d know what that bastard was doing to you I never would’ve let you leave.” he whispered into my hair.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.” I replied.

“It’s okay.” He replied.

I wiped my eyes and looked beside Brian at Johnny, “I’m sorry I ruined your party.” I said.

He looked at me, “Are you crazy? Fuck it. I’ll have a birthday next year. You being okay is what’s important.” he said.

I smiled and he ruffled my hair.

“C’mon why don’t we get you cleaned up? You look like you could use a warm bath honey.” Lacey said.

“Brian you’re going to have to carry her.” Leana said as Brian went to put me down.

“Why?” he asked.

“She twisted her ankle and can’t walk on it.” Leana replied.

“Okay then. Where to?” Brian asked Leana.

“Take her to Johnny and I’s room. We’ll use the tub in there.” Lacey said.

Brian nodded and took me up to the stairs to the bedroom. He sat me down on the closed toilet, kissed the top of my head and left me with Lacey, Leana and Val who had followed. Lacey ran me a bath and poured in bubbles while Leana and Val helped me get undressed and get into the tub.

The water was warm and felt good on my body. My muscles began to relax and I felt myself calm down. I sat there until the water grew cold then Leana and Val helped me back out of the tub. I dried myself off with the towel that Lacey handed me before pulling on the pajama pants, t-shirt and hoodie that Michelle and Gena had picked out from my bag. Val combed my hair and braided it for me before heading to get Brian now that I was decent.

He smiled at me as he walked into the room. He picked me up and carried me down the hall to one of the guest rooms where he put me on the bed.

He pulled a first aid kit from beside the bed and smiled, “Déjà vu.” he said with a smile.

“I seem to get hurt an awful lot don’t I?” I laughed.

He just shook his head and helped me bandage my hands and knees before wrapping and ACE bandage around my sprained ankle, “There you go kiddo.” he said.

“Thanks.” I replied.

He nodded, “So you wanna tell me what happened tonight?” he asked.

Suddenly the tears poured yet again from my eyes and the words came spilling from my mouth. I told him how Ashlynne had looked at me, how Brad had chased me through the house and how I’d ran as fast as I could from the house. I told him how Brad had been abusing me since he and Mom had gotten married when I was 8 and how Mom did nothing about it cause she loved him far more than me.

Brian held me the whole time and listened to every word I said. He wiped the tears from my eyes when I was done and kissed the top of my head.

“I promise you Joey that that man will never hurt you again. Not if I have anything to do about it.” Brian said.

“Thank you.” I replied.

“Well why don’t you get to sleep? And I’ll see you in the morning.” he said.

I scoffed, “Yeah like that’s going to happen. I left Boogie at Mom and Brad’s house. I can’t get to sleep without him.” I said.

“You want me to sit with you?” he asked.

“No it’s okay I’ll probably get to sleep eventually.” I said.

“Well eventually isn’t good enough.” he said and sat back down on the bed and put an arm around me.

I closed my eyes and snuggled into his chest and he started singing;

A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love purpose hard to find
While I recall all the words you spoke to me
Can't help but wish that I was there
Back where I'd love to be, oh yeah

Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
to hold her when I'm not around,
when I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
But I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
’Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again

There's nothing here for me on this barren road
There's no one here while the city sleeps
and all the shops are closed
Can't help but think of the times I've had with you
Pictures and some memories will have to help me through, oh yeah


Before I knew it I had fallen asleep listening to Brian’s voice.

*Brian’s POV*

Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
to hold her when I'm not around,
when I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
’Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again

Some search, never finding a way
Before long, they waste away
I found you, something told me to stay
I gave in, to selfish ways
And how I miss someone to hold
when hope begins to fade...

A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love purpose hard to find

Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
to hold her when I'm not around,
when I'm much too far away
We all need the person who can be true to you
I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
’Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again


I had finished the song before I realized that Joey had fallen asleep in my arms. Smiling to myself I carefully moved my arm and laid her down on the pillows, careful not to wake her up. I put her under the blankets and kissed her forehead before turning off the light and heading out of the room.

“So did you tell her?” I jumped as Michelle appeared at my side.

“What are you talking about?” I asked pretending to be confused.

“Brian don’t play stupid with me. Joey has the same eyes as you, plays guitar like crazy, it’s obvious that she’s yours. Now, who’s her mom?” Michelle asked.

I sighed, “Remember Jimmy’s younger half sister?” I asked.

Michelle’s eyes widened, “She’s Rebekka’s daughter? Jimmy’s niece? Does he know? Does Joey know?” she asked.

“Yeah Jim knows and no Joey does not.” I replied.

“You haven’t told her? This is insane Brian, do you realize that? That girl lives in hell when she could be happy living with us!” Michelle replied.

“So you’d be okay if I wanted Joey to come live with us? Like you’re not mad that I have a child by another woman?” I asked.

“No Bri I’m not. We wanted to have a family and with Joey we would have one. She’s a great kid and I love her already.” Michelle said.

I smiled and kissed Michelle softly on the lips, “I love you.”

She smiled back, “I love you too.” she said.

With that the two of us headed off to bed.

*Across town 3rd POV*

“Where the fuck is that brat!?!” Brad seethed.

Rebekka sighed and ran her hands though her long blond hair. She hated to see Brad unhappy. This was all Joey’s fault. They were currently knocking on houses trying to find out where the girl was and they had yet to find her. She and Brad had already been to every house on the block and were now driving back to the ones that it had seemed no one had been home.

Brad pulled his car to a stop in front of the last house and the two of them climbed out and walked up to the door. Rebekka knocked on the door but no one answered. Brad hit the doorbell repeatedly but still nothing. Steaming Brad turned and walked back out to the car.

“Rebekka let’s go!” he barked.

Rebekka followed, worried about had mad Brad was getting. How could Joey do this to her? That brat was going to get it when she came home. Rebekka had almost reached the car when the mailbox caught her eye. Well it was less the mailbox and more the name that was written on it, ‘Haner’

She ran over to the mailbox and opened it up, sorting through the mail. On every piece was the name she’d been hoping to see, ‘Brian E. Haner Jr.’. Rebekka ran to the car and climbed in.

“I think I might know who she might be with. I have to make a few calls in the morning but I’m sure that I’ll be able to find her baby.” she said to Brad as she climbed in.

Brad smiled a wicked smile, “Good. That girl deserves to pay Rebekka. And pay she will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hurray for second updates! Thanks to everyone who reviewed on the last chapter! Please review!

Joey's Outfit/ Johnny and Lacey's Bathroom & Guest Room