‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

First Impressions

"You are ok with Erica meeting us here right?" I ask putting my phone back into my pocket as Justin signals a waitress over- to order another drink no doubt.

"The more the merrier. It'll be nice to be properly introduced to the love of your life-" he pauses to give the waitress his glass

"Another?" she smiles

"Of course." He smiles back giving her a wink. He really will flirt whenever he can. I wait for her to leave and for Justin to take his eyes off her ass before I speak.

"She's a friend."

"Who you're head over heels in love with. I really don't know how you do it. How can you be ok with only having one girl in your life?"

"Firstly Erica isn't the only girl I've been with and you know that and secondly. How can you be ok with having hundreds?" I answer

"I'm making up for all the girls you won't have."

Ignoring his comment I finish my drink and look around at the other people here; it's not long before I notice a guy and girl. At first glance you'd think they were a couple but the longer I watch them the more obvious it gets that they're ‘just friends'. Worse phrase in the world. Take them for example, just by looking at the girl it's pretty clear she wants that guy to be her boyfriend but he's too blind to notice. It's most likely he has- oh there it is. His girlfriend.

"Joe if you stare any longer you're going to go blind." Justin says bringing my attention back to him.

"I wasn't staring." I mutter

"You're girlfriends here." He says taking a sip from his drink. The waitress must have come back when I was 'not staring' at the other table.

"Do you really think I'm going to believe that Erica is-"

"My ears are burning, are talking about me?" Erica's voice cheered as she appeared in the seat next to me.

"Hey" I smile giving her a side hug "You got here quick."

"My work's only a block away." She explains taking her coat off and draping it over her chair "Hey, it's Justin right?" she continues holding her hand out to shake Justin's.

"Yea." Holding onto her hand I watch Justin lightly kiss her knuckles before letting go. Always the charmer.

"What have i missed?" she asks looking from Justin to me

"Joe was staring at-"

"I wasn't staring." I argue "I wasn't staring." I repeat this time looking at Erica

"Well who weren't you staring at?" she laughs

"The table behind us." Justin answered before I could

"The one with the guy cheating on his girlfriend with her friend?" furrowing her eyebrows she looks from the table to me

"How would you know that?"

"Because i've seen him at my work with both girls on separate occasions." she explains shrugging her shoulders

"That doesn't mean he-"

"He kissed them both- a lot" i stare at her in disbelief, I guess they're not 'just friends' like i thought. "So what are you guys here for?" Erica asks changing the topic.

"Celebrating." Justin answered taking a sip of his drink.

Oh god, please let that be enough for her. Don't ask wh-

"Celebrating what?"

Crap.

"Getting my-"

"Hey Justin why don't you get Erica a drink from the bar." I quickly interrupt

"Or I could call the waitress over." He said looking at me with 'what the fuck' written all over his face.

"It'll be quicker if you go up." I shrug

"No it's ok, I don't want a drink." Erica insisted crossing her arms over the table.

"Anyway back to what I was saying-" Justin continued looking from me to Erica.

"His dad died." I interject; I think it's better for me to say it rather than Erica hearing the words ‘I got my inheritance'

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry." She gasped the smile vanishing from her face.

"Don't be, I'm not."

Feeling embarrassed I sink into my seat and press my hand over my face.

"I don't understand?" she slowly said

"Well let's just say me and him didn't get along."

"But he's your dad."

"Who cut me off, it's a long story." Waving his hand dismissively I look at Erica and can already sense she wants to say something to Justin. Erica has strong feelings about her own dads death, the idea that someone would be glad about it happening to them could possibly send her over the edge.

"Justin can you get me a drink please." I ask pushing my empty glass towards him.

"Why do you keep asking me to get drinks? Do I look like a waiter?"

Widening my eyes I signal him to leave the table. "Fine, I'll be right back." He muttered getting up and making his way to the bar.

Shifting in my seat I face Erica "Ok let me explain-"

"Is he actually happy his dad died?" she interrupted

"Yes but he's not a-"

"Why?" she demanded

"It's not so much the death that he's happy about, it's the fact he got his inheritance." I explain, I doubt it'll make the situation any better but it's worth a shot.

"Let me get this straight, you are friends with someone who wanted his dad dead so he could get a couple hundred dollars?"

"It was more than a couple hundred." I scoff

Rolling her eyes Erica took a breath "Ok a couple thousand-"

"Nope"

"Six figures?"

"Eight." I correct her, waiting for the reaction.

"Eight!" she gasped in shock and momentarily staring at me in silence. "You know what that's not even the point. How can someone be that-"

"Erica listen to me, I'm not saying it's right but this is just how he feels; and I know you must think he's a terrible human being but he's not. He does some really stupid things but he's a good guy."

Looking towards the bar where Justin is talking to one of the waitresses rather than actually getting me a drink, Erica takes a breath then briefly nods.

"Seeing as you're giving Kenny a chance, the least I could do is give Justin one."

-----

Pulling my coat tighter around me I turn the corner onto my block; I couldn't handle more than half an hour with Joe's friend Justin. I know I told Joe that I'd give him a chance, but after finding out he wasn't the slightest bit phased by his dad's death I couldn't listen to him talk without thinking of another reason to dislike him. And yes i know I'm the last person who should be judging anyone, let's face it I went from the most liked girl in my class to Miss anti-social, slept with the only friend I had and abandoned him, gave up my daughter because I was scared of raising her and-

"Erica!" I voice called out, looking around I see a familiar girl walking up to me, it's not long before realising it's the same woman I gave a refill to at work.

"Err hi." I say not wanting to sound rude.

"Ashley" she laughs tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Right- Ashley."

"Fancy seeing you again." she said crossing her arms over her chest "This might sound a little weird but I was just on my way to get something to eat, do you want to join me?" she asks.

Is she asking me out? Ok this is awkward, i was not prepared for this.

"Er- I don't know if I've sent you any signals but I'm not-"

"Oh no-no!" she gasped "I'm not gay, I just wondered if you wanted to hang out. Just friends."

"I don't mean to sound rude, but why?"

"Honestly? The thing is I'm new to the city and you're the first person who hasn't ignored me. Apart from the creepy taxi driver i was stuck with earlier." she said waving her hand dismissively

"I'd like to but I'm actually heading home now."

"Oh- well that's cool. Maybe another time then?"

"Sure." I nod. Briefly watching as she turns to leave I instantly feel guilty, I mean she doesn't know anyone and I remember how it felt when I first moved here and felt alone. "Ashley wait!" I shout out to her. "I was thinking of ordering take out if you want to join me." I continue once she's facing me again.

"Perfect." She smiles
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my god an update!!!

Guess what... i'm finally on my christmas holidays so i'll have more time to write/update yay!

btw, i just wanna mention that the Ashley in my story is not based on Ashley Greene, I just like the name and couldn't be bothered to be creative when i was planning her character.