Married To The Mafia...?

don't have to go...

I refused to remember the stain wood of the casket, I couldn't tell you what array of delicate flowers settle upon it. I made a point not to remember the honey sweet words they said, not one sentence left my mouth especially not in the form of my husband's eulogy.

It was sunny, wild with summer heat that could cause exhaustion in seconds. The sun melted everything to a dreary lean and meshed the background with the foreground, nothing made sense or could be defined. 

"Amelia love." Maria Radev's eyes were wet with sorrow as she placed her hand upon my own, the black laced gloves surrounding mine keeping the skin from immediate contact. "It's okay to be upset, to let people know you need help. It's okay to be angry and hurt. Remember he loved you though dear. He wouldn't want you to be so hung up on the idea of his being alive. You need to let him go."

I couldn't understand how she stood so strong at yet another son's funeral, I couldn't listen while she sang of letting somebody she love in the way only a mother could go. That it was over. I couldn't because I didn't believe it, Ethan Radev couldn't be gone.

I didn't say anything. I just sat staring blankly around the living room of the Radev's lavish home. Maria sighed softly and left a kiss upon my temple as she stood and wandered around amongst the guests. 

Slowly I pushed myself upon the sky-high heels, my black dress skimming over my stocking-covered knees. People stopped to touch my hands, to kiss my cheek to hold me close and I allowed them only I didn't speak a word I didn't allow myself to hear them say how sorry they were or that their hearts were breaking for me. I didn't care what they felt. 

The kitchen was my key to escape. I could stand alone even for a brief few moments and stare out the delicate scenery of endless baron land.

"Amelia?" 

I turned slowly to see Emmanuel standing awkwardly in the door way, his eyes were soft and searching like every one else's.

"I just-" He stopped to clear his throat and it was then that I noticed the shiny silver in his hand, "I found this and I thought you'd like to have it."

His palm opened slowly to reveal Ethan's silver rolex. I stared dumbly at it, the ticking hand spinning slowly around it's black face. I was vaguely aware of Emmanuel turning to leave as my fingers graced the cool metal. Ethan never left without his watch.

"Where-" I choked at the sudden use of my voice, "Where did you find it?"

"It was in the office desk, top drawer. Where he usually left it in the rare time that he took it off."

I nodded slowly. Blinking back a build up of water in my eyes. I played slowly with his watch, turning it over in my fingers, watching as the hands moved with time. 

Then it struck me.

Ethaniel Radev never left without the shiny rolex his parents hand bought him for his nineteenth birthday. Never. He hadn't left without it the night he died either, he'd been wearing it as we walked back into the penthouse, as he shrugged off his coat and kissed my forehead gently. I could remember the familiar silver glimmering from the cuff of his suit jacket as we drove home, as he held my hand, as we danced around the ballrooms.

Then why had Emmanuel found it in the top drawer of the desk in his office?

"He was wearing it."

"What?" Emmanuel stepped slowly to my side, his own attention cast down on the wrist watch.

"Ethan, he was wearing it the night that-" I couldn't bring myself to say it.

"Amelia, he can't have been wearing it. I found it in the desk."

"He was wearing it Emmanuel, I know it. And if he was wearing it that means he-"

"He's not alive Amelia. I know what you're doing, I've done it myself. But this isn't healthy. You can start believing his alive because you were so used to seeing a watch on his wrist."

"He's not dead Emmanuel." My voice was a hushed whisper, my eyes never leaving the silver in my hand.

"Amelia this has to stop. Think of where you are right now. You're at his wake, at his funeral. He's gone Amelia."

I didn't want to believe that the man I had been forced to marry, the man who I had fallen in love with, the man who had been my savior so many times was killed. I didn't want to say that he had been murdered while trying to say my life. I didn't want to accept any of it, but the truth was he was gone, he wasn't coming home. My husband was dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
I swear that you don't have to go
I thought we could wait for the fireworks
I thought we could wait for the snow
To wash over Georgia and kill the hurt
I thought I could in your arms
And spend every moment I had with you
Stay up all night with the stars
Confess all the faith that I had in you...


Seriously? A death threat?
Look, let's be serious for a moment...

I get it. I get the emotional attachment to a story, I understand more than anything the way you can conncect to characters. After all they're everything you need when nothing else is left.
I get emotionally attached more than anybody to my characters. But this is fiction, once you stop reading it doesn't become real, it stays pretend. There's a line to the abuse I will take. I'll accept people being upset but crossing the line by threatening my life...
I'm not joking that this isn't tolerated. And I won't hesitate on removing both prequel and sequel permanently if it persists. I don't deserve that kind of thing, especially not because I decide to put a bit of flavor into the story.

On a happier note: I can't thank the people who sent me all the support enough. It seriously means the world. This one is for you :)

I know you'll tell me what you think of this one. But I bet you won't know what's going to happen. I've chosen what happened to Ethan back in the penthouse.

chapter title & song credit: Mayday Parade- Three Cheers for Five Years