‹ Prequel: It's Almost Easy

Such a Surreal Place

Memory

*At the hospital later that day*

“How is he?” I asked the doctor who’d just walked out of the scanning room. Brian refused to have me in there too – he could only remember his band mates, so only trusted them.

“He seems to have lost a few years of memory,” the doctor told me and my heart seemed to break. I didn’t want to have to start all over again. I doubt he would ever love me in the same way again. “But apparently, according to his friends, he seems to be remembering more recent events. So it looks like he has temporary memory loss.”

“So... He’ll recover and be fine in a few days?” I questioned, eager to know.

“He could be fine by tonight. He could be fine by the end of the week. Or it could take up to a month,” the doctor informed me and I nodded. “If I was you, I’d just go easy on him. He seems to be getting his memory back on his own, so he shouldn’t take too long at all. Has he suffered any other head injuries?”

“Uh... He suffered a lot of trauma in a car crash,” I replied and the doctor slowly nodded while stroking his chin.

“It explains the sudden memory loss... He has to be careful with his head from now on,” he said, then excused himself. He went back into the room, perhaps to talk to Brian, perhaps to talk to the rest of Avenged Sevenfold. But he’d left me outside to ponder on my future with my fiancé who currently couldn’t remember me.

*11pm*

I got into my bunk and shut the curtain behind me. For the rest of the day, Brian had ignored me and just talked to Jimmy and Matt, who were helping him remember stuff. Those 3 were still up now, chatting to each other quietly in the front of the tour bus. Johnny and Zacky were also already in bed, trying to get a decent sleep before tomorrow’s show. I couldn’t stop thinking about Syn. Surely he’d remember me and everything would go according to plan – the wedding and the ‘living happily ever after’ part. I twisted my engagement ring around my finger, nearly crying as I thought of Brian never remembering anything about me. I don’t think I could start all over again...

I heard movement – someone entering the sleeping area. I could tell by where they went to sleep that it was Jimmy. I just wanted Syn to come in and join me in my bunk, hold me, and tell me that he loved me. Then I could go to sleep, knowing that nothing had changed. But he didn’t come. Matt didn’t come to update me either (he promised he’d keep me posted on my fiancé’s progress). God, I hope his memory is coming back! I missed his warm hugs and random kisses. The cute ‘I love you’s that he gave me constantly. I sighed loudly, frustrated with myself for not checking on him earlier when the yelling had started. For not interrupting his argument with Matt. But, most importantly, I was angry at myself for not stopping Matt from shoving him, or for not breaking his fall.

“I’m sure he’ll be fine by tomorrow,” Zacky called out to me.

“Yeah, he remembers you now,” Jimmy filled me in and I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thank God...” I muttered to myself.

“You were freakin’, huh?” Zacky asked and I poked my head out of my curtain, looking down at his bunk. I noticed his curtain was shut, so I tapped my finger against it. He opened it and glared up at me, squinting in the light. My hair fell over my face, and I must’ve looked ridiculous ‘cause he cracked up laughing at me. “Can you remember back to before I got married? When I swore that you and Brian were going to get married and live happily ever after?”

“Yeah...” I had just been thinking about the whole getting married and living happily ever after thing...

“I was right, huh?” he questioned with a grin.

“Not yet. It’s probably off now...” I frowned as reality hit me. Yeah, Syn could remember me, but could he remember how in love he was with me? And what would happen if he couldn’t?

“Hey, cheer up!” Zacky said positively, trying to raise my spirits. “I know it’s not the dream wedding at the moment, but not everything is meant to go to plan.”

“I know... I just... didn’t expect my fiancé to forget me...” I mumbled.

“Ha, I just remembered I’ve already wed you two!” Zacky said and I laughed.

“Yeah, that’s right, in the middle of ‘A Little Piece of Heaven’...” I commented, remembering the rehearsal I’d joined in on. The rehearsal that Syn had (fortunately) taken full advantage of. Just as I’d finished speaking, Matt poked his head around the corner of the door. Zacky and I both looked up at him.

“He wants to talk to you,” Matt whispered and my heart filled with hope.

“Good luck,” Zacky said as he put his head back inside his bunk and closed to curtain. I hopped out of my bunk and followed Matt to where Syn was. I know I looked horrible; my hair was messed up, make up was slightly smudged, I was squinting in the bright light, AND I was in baggy pyjamas. Syn (luckily) didn’t seem to mind. I just stood there awkwardly, not having a clue what I was meant to say or do.

“Okay, we’ve gotten up to you dressing up like him at the studio to piss him off. Remember that?” Matt explained and I smiled.

“How could I not?” I replied as I had a mini-flashback to that day.

“Well I don’t know what happened for all of that day, and Brian knows something’s missing, so just help him fill in the gaps? Then get some sleep, ‘cause you’re rostered for driving tomorrow,” Matt said to me and I nodded. I sat down in the seat opposite Syn as Matt walked back into the sleeping area, leaving us alone to talk.

“So... I can remember up to the point when you tell me I’m an idiot and all that... But I can’t remember what happened after that...” Brian said shyly while looking down as he fiddled with his hands. He obviously wasn’t too comfortable with the whole ‘getting married’ thing when he couldn’t remember much about me.

“Uh... I kissed you,” I answered and he looked up.

“Really?” he asked, astonished, for some reason, that I would be kissing him.

“Yeah. You apologized and then I kissed you,” I said and he nodded.

“I think I can remember...” he whispered to himself, looking down at his hands again. Then he looked back up and made eye-contact with me. “Perhaps you could help me remember what it’s like to kiss you?” I couldn’t help but smile at how cheesy he was being at the moment. But that tone of voice he just used was the normal Syn I knew and loved.

“I see you’re back to your old self,” I commented and he shrugged.

“I don’t even know who that is at the moment...” he said, and then I realised how frightened he must be.

“Doctor said you’ll be fine really soon. Don’t worry about it,” I comforted him, but I guess I was really comforting myself. “I’m gonna go to bed now, okay? I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I stood up and took a few steps towards him. He stayed sitting down. I leaned over and kissed him softly on the lips. “Remember now?”

“Yeah... I do...” he said as I stood up straight. He had a goofy grin on his face and those gorgeous brown eyes seemed very happy. “Ha ha... You make me get butterflies...” He patted his stomach and I felt my heart melting as I walked away from him, back to my bunk. He’d never said that before. And he had no idea how much that meant to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for the comments guys! Keep leaving them to show your support! :)