Status: This is a story I posted on Quizilla so I hope you guys enjoy it!

Melting On Ice

Chapter Nineteen

"Erica?" I leaned over her to make sure that she was actually asleep. I scanned the room and heard the faint sounds of snoring as it filled the sunlit room. I slowly slid out of my sleeping bag and stepped over Jessica and Erica's sleeping bodies, trying not to wake them. When I made it to the edge of the living room, I turned back around, double checking that they were all asleep. I tip toed up the stairs and slowly opened Patrick's bedroom door. It revealed him against the backboard of his bed and intently studying a Sports Illustrated magazine.

He looked up and smiled at me. "Hey, I was just thinking about you." He patted his bed and scooted over, signaling for me to sit down. I leaned over and kissed him as he set the magazine down on his lap. "Nice hair." He mumbled as he examined my Jamaican looking braids.

"Thank you." I laughed as I ran my hand over the braids. I had forgotten they were there. "Compliments of Erica."

"They look cute." He said as he adjusted himself on the bed so he was sideways.

"You're a horrible liar." I laughed as he kissed me again. "What are you reading?" I picked up the magazine and saw the Blackhawks on the cover. I flipped through the pages and glanced momentarily at each of them. "Well this is awesome!" He laughed slightly under his breath. "You know what I was thinking?"

He shook his head as he leaning his face into my hair. "I never know what you are thinking."

"In all of the years that I've known you, I have never met your grandmother." I continued to scan through the pages, waiting to hear his response.

He didn't get the chance because there was a faint knock on his door.We both looked up to see Mrs. Kane standing in the doorway. "Patrick, your guest will be arriving soon." She glance over at me quickly before continuing. "So you guys should start getting ready."

"Alright." He waved to her to signal that he wanted her to get out of the room. She glanced at me one more time before leaving.

"Something gives me the feeling that your parents don't like me as much as they used to." I sighed as I stood up from his bed and started to walk towards the door.

"Don't be silly." He waved his hand in my direction as if dismissing what I said. "They like you, they just need to get used to us." He walked over and wrapped his arms around my waist.

He leaned down and kissed me lightly. "I hope your right." I pulled away from him and slowly opened his door.

"I always am." He smirked as he followed me out into the hall.

"Sure." He laughed when I rolled my eyes at him. My shirt lifted up slightly when I stretched, reaching my arms above my head. I saw him studying me intently. "What?"

"You didn't tell me about that." He quickly walked over to me and ran his fingers over the giant scar that consumed the right side of my body.

"Oh, um that." I swallowed hard and kept my eyes focused on his hand. "It's not that big of a deal, that's why."

"Not that big of a deal?" He laughed bitterly as he lifted my shirt a little higher, seeing how long the scar ran. "How could I have let this happen to you?"

"It wasn't you Patrick." I tried to pull away from him but he held me close. "It was those drunken idiots."

"But I let you go." I saw his jaw line clench slightly as he squeezed me tighter. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's not that big of a deal." I stepped back as he released me. "But I promise I will tell you next time."

"Next time you get knifed?" He looked at me skeptically. "I'm so sorry Em."

"It wasn't your fault Patrick." I insisted as I walked back to my room. "So just forget about it." I could tell by his face that he wasn't going to let this go. "Just relax and have fun. Today is all about you." I smiled at his sorrow features before closing the door. I sighed as I leaned against my door, glancing around my lavender room. I walked over to my closet, which Patrick had reluctantly help me set up. "What to wear, what to wear." I mutter to myself as I shifted through the hangers. I decided on a blue sundress that had yellow flowers all over it. I walked across the hall to the bathroom and slowly started to unravel my braids, leaving it all curly. I quickly walked back to my room and changed.

"Knock, knock." Patrick said as he entered, wearing khaki shorts and a nice polo shirt. "You look nice."

"You too." I smiled as I walked over and leaned up to kiss him. "Are we all ready?"

He nodded as he intertwined his fingers in mine, leading me out of the room. "Don't be nervous. There going to love you." He paused before adding, "Even if they don't, I love you."

"Thanks for that boost of confidence." I said sarcastically as I smoothed out my hair. "Besides, I'm not nervous." He looked down at me skeptically as we made our way down the stairs. "Fine maybe a little."

He laughed and shook his head. "Don't be. You're going to be fine." He leaned down and kissed me. I smiled into his lips before wrapping my arms around his neck to deepen the kiss.

"Hey, get a room!" We both turned, flushed to see Patrick's cousin James smirking at us from the kitchen, a chip mid-way in his mouth.

"Jimmy!" Patrick pulled away from me and "man-hugged" him. "What's going on man?"

"Nothing much." He said, glancing over at me. "Guess being a famous hockey star has worked out for you. Who's your lady?"

"Hi, I'm Emma." I reached my hand out to shake his. It surprised me how similar he looked to Patrick. I had met him before but I hadn't really noticed until now, when they were dressed almost identical.

"Do you have a head injury or something?" He said, earning a smack to the side of the head by Patrick. "What? I'm just trying to figure out why someone this gorgeous would want to go out with someone who has an ugly mug like you." He shoved him playfully. "But really." He said, leaning across the counter so he was closer to me. "Has he got you on drugs or something?" I rolled my eyes at him. "Because you can tell me."

"Come on, Em." Patrick said as he pulled me out the screen door. "Let's go meet the less mentally challenged side of my family." He ducked as James threw a chip at him.

"Patrick!" We were flooded by all his family members when he opened the door. I stepped away from him to avoid the stampede. I walked over to the cooler and pulled out myself a bottle of water.

"Amber sweetie," An elderly voice called in my direction. "Is that you?"

I forced a sweet smile as I walked over to her. "No, I'm not Amber." I opened my water and took a long sip. "Amber and Patrick are no longer together." I was a little hurt that he took her to meet his grandmother before I ever did. I stuck my hand out to shake hers. "I'm his new girlfriend, Emma."

"Oh that's right." She smacked herself gently on the forehead. "This old mind is very forgetful. Now I do remember Donna telling me that. Sit, sit." She pat the seat next to her. "It's so nice to meet you sweetie." She squeezed my arm gently as I cautiously sat down. We sat there awkwardly for a minute before she asked me, "Do you live around here?"

"No, but I used to." She nodded slowly, waiting for me to continue. "I actually live in Chicago with Patrick."

She shook her head. "Good for you. It wouldn't be good if you lived here." I looked at her questioningly and she continued. "It would be bad if you and Patrick lived here. Then Donna and you would have to share the kitchen." She clicked her tongue disapprovingly as she shook her head. "And trust me sweetie, two women in the kitchen just does not work."

"That's alright." I smiled sweetly at her. "I don't think that Patrick wants me to cook for him. I'm not a very good chef." By not very good I was actually implying that I could hardly make a bowl of cereal.

"Every woman needs to know how to cook for her man!" I blushed slightly as a couple of people glanced in our direction since she said this a little louder then necessary.

She patted my hand reassuringly. "Don't worry, hon. Some day I will teach you."

"Thanks." I glanced over at Patrick to see if he was free to save me from this awkward conversation.

"Oh, I almost forgot." She rummaged through her purse quickly. "I've got something for you." I twiddled my fingers patiently. "Here you go."

She handed me a box of candy and a bracelet. I helped her as she attempted to put it around my wrist. I looked closer and saw that it had a charm on it that was a black ribbon. "Um, thanks." I said hesitantly.

"No problem sweetie." She pinched my cheek slightly. "Donna told me about your little problem and I just want you to know that we are all here for you." She patted my leg reassuringly. "Oh, there you are Patrick." I looked up as Patrick walked over to us. He leaned down and hugged her from her seat. I stood up next to him. "Where are you going?" She asked me, a little bit of hurt in her voice.

"We're just going to walk around the party." Patrick answered for me. "Don't worry. We'll be back." He sighed as he quickly pulled me away from her. "Sorry about that."

"Don't be." I laughed as a couple of little kids ran in between our linked hands. I let the bracelet dangle loosely off my hand. "Look what she gave me."

He took it in his other hand and examined it quickly. "What does a black ribbon mean?"

"I have no idea." I said, dropping my hand back down to my side. "She mentioned something about my problem." I shook my head. "I have no idea what she is talking about."

"Is there something your not telling me?" He teased. He glanced at the candy container in my hand. "Did she give you those?" He laughed when I nodded. "Eat at your own risk." I cautiously set them down at a nearby table. I leaned back against his deck rail and he leaned into me, his hands on either side of my body. "I wish this party would be over with." He whispered in my ear, giving me goosebumps.

"It just started." I laughed as he leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"I know." He moved his lips to my nose and then to my cheek. "But I like it better when it's just you and me." I smiled as he leaned down and kissed my lips.

"Excuse me." We were interrupted when I felt a slight tug on my skirt. I looked down to see and adorable little girl looking up at me. "Do you want to play?"

I smiled down at her and Patrick squat down so he was her height. "Hey Paige. Can I have a hug?" She wrapped her tiny arms around his giant body and he kissed her lightly on the cheek.

"Can we please play Patty?" She begged him, her cute little eyes widening.

"Emma will play with you." Patrick smirked up at me when he volunteered me. "She just loves to play."

I leaned down and took her hand. "What do you want to play sweetie?"

She scrunched up her tiny features, thinking of something. "How about we play, dancing, jumping, leap frogs?"

"Oh, you're going to love this game." He patted me lightly on the back as he walked off to entertain his other guest.

I squat down, just like he had when he talked to her. "How do you play that?"

"Okay." She clapped her tiny hands together before leading me down to the grass. "We squat," She did the moves as she explained them and I mimicked her. "Then you jump over me." I did as she said and was being extra careful I didn't hurt her. "And then you dance, like this." She shook her body and waved her hands, showing me how to do it. I copied her but she shook her head at me, her ponytail flicking back and forth. "No, no, no!" She walked over to me and grabbed my knees and attempted to turn my body. "Like this." I tried again and I did it until she was satisfied. "Okay, your turn." I squat down and she jumped over me. I was unaware that we had drawn a crowd until I heard a chorus of laughs erupt from behind me.

"Come on Pager." A woman that looked like she was in her late twenties came over and picked up the little girl. "She doesn't want to play with you. Go play with the other little kids." She put her down and pushed her lightly in the direction that the other kids were playing. "Sorry about that. I'm her mother, Kimberly. You are?"

"Emma." I smiled sweetly as I shook her hand. I didn't realize how much of Patrick's family I had never met. "She's so cute."

"Thanks."

She watched as Patrick came up behind me and wrapped his arm around my waist. "That looked like fun." He smirked. "Maybe we should play later." I pushed him gently in the chest and he laughed when I blushed.

"Hey, lovebirds!" We both turned to see James calling to us. "You two up for a challenge?"

* * *

"Alright so what does the loser have to do?" Since there were a lot of little Kane kids, they had rented several bouncy house type things for them to play in. One of them was an inflatable obstacle course and they had decided that I was going to race Patrick in it.

"I say that the loser has to kiss the winner." I rolled my eyes as Patrick smiled at me from his starting position in the hole into the obstacle course.

"That's no fun." Jessica narrowed her eyes at him. "How about the loser has to jump in the pool." She paused to add dramatic effect. "Naked."

"How original." Again I rolled my eyes. "That has just been in about a thousand movies."

"You're just saying that because you're scared." I stuck my tongue out at James when he mocked me. "Are you in or not?"

"Fine." I mumbled. I ran my eyes over the course. I was not going to lose this. It was getting dark so it was a little difficult to see, but I think we could manage.

"Ready," Erica said and I got myself situated. "Set, Go!" I could hear as Patrick raced his way against me. I climbed through a tiny tunnel and dodge the punching bags that were in the way. I climbed up the rock wall with Patrick right behind me.

I felt as he tugged lightly on my shirt and pulled me down. I wasn't expecting it, so I fell off the wall and he laughed as he past me. "Patrick!" I shrieked as I started to climb back up. "You are such a freaking cheater!"

He laughed and I heard him call, "I win, I win!" When I reached the bottom of the slide.

I pushed him when I reached the bottom. "He cheated!" I pointed at Patrick and looked over at James who was almost in tears from laughing so hard. "He pulled me back!"

"Don't be such a sore loser." James said as he wiped his eyes. "Just jump in the pool really fast and it will be over with."

I sighed, aggravated. "Fine." I narrowed my eyes at Patrick. "But he cheated."

"Yeah, yeah, Patrick's a cheater come on." James pushed me closer to the pool.

I swallowed hard and stared at the dark water before starting to unzip my dress. "Close your eyes." I turned back and snapped at him.

"No." James said like that was the dumbest thing he had ever heard. "What's the fun in that?"

"Patrick." I said through my teeth.

He held his hands up in defense. "He's making the rules, not me."

I sighed again. It was obvious that I was never going to be able to win with these two. Luckily, it was dark enough that you could only see my silhouette as I stripped down. There was only one light on their deck and we had decided to play with it off. When I slid off my underwear, I heard a loud whistle. "That better not have been you Patrick." They both laughed, leaving me a little confused. I sucked in a deep breath before quickly jumping in and pulling myself back up to the surface. The freezing water gave me chills as it collided with my body. I leaned my hand over the edge and started to search blindly for my clothes.

I couldn't find them and I thought it was just because it was too dark until I heard Patrick call. "Looking for something?" He dangled my clothing loosely in his hand.

"That is not even funny Patrick." I said as I crossed my arm over my chest.

"I think it's pretty funny." Of course James had to put in his two cents.

"Patrick!" I whined quietly, glancing towards the door to make sure that his parents couldn't hear us. "Bring my clothes over here now." I said each word slowly through my chattering teeth.

"Come get them." He said, waving them in my direction. I convinced myself that it was dark enough they wouldn't be able to see anything before slowly pulling myself out of the pool.

I started to walk over where Patrick was standing, but he moved to avoid me, keeping them out of my reach. "Patrick!" I hissed quietly.

"What's going on out here?" James and Patrick burst into laughter when I dove behind the nearest chair as Mrs. Kane turned the deck light on and came out by us. "It's almost midnight, what are you kids doing out here?" I saw that she glanced at my articles of clothing that Patrick possessed. "And why do you have that?"

"We were just playing a game." Patrick said, making it sound way worse then it actually was.

She narrowed her eyes at him before scanning the deck. "Where's Emma?"

Patrick paused, probably to think of some logic explanation for my absence, but James busted me. "Over there." He laughed as he pointed his finger in my direction.

She glanced over at me and her eyes widened when she noticed my lack of clothing. "Patrick," she commanded. "Give those back, now." He resisted the urge to laugh as he walked over to me and threw my clothes behind the chair.

"Thank you." I said sarcastically as I started to get redressed.

"Don't mention it." He said, smirking down at me. He kept his back facing the chair, stopping James from sneaking anymore quick glances at me.

"Now here is what's going to happen." Mrs. Kane said, clapping her hands together. "I am going to go inside and pretend like this didn't happen." I stood up, now fully clothed, and walked to the other side of Patrick. He reached out for my hand, but I side stepped away from him. I heard him chuckle quietly and I gave him a look. "And one more thing." We all looked up at her. "Don't tell your father about this."

* * *

"Em, come here." Patrick called when I passed his open door. I noticed that he was intently reading something on his laptop.

"No," I said stubbornly, but I walked in his direction anyway. "I'm not talking to you."

"I looked up what the black ribbon means on that bracelet my grandmother gave you." He scrolled down a little on the screen as I approached.

"And?" He pointed on the screen where it said and I started to read it quietly to myself. "Black is the recognized color for melanoma awareness, the most deadly form of skin cancer." I heard Patrick laugh quietly. "Patrick, that's not funny." I slapped him lightly in the arm. "Your grandma thinks I have skin cancer."

"No she doesn't." He said, laughing again. "Just keep reading."

I gave him a strange look before continuing to read the page. "The black ribbon is also commonly used to recognize those people with sleep disorders."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, all up to date now! This is the latest chapter that I have actually written so I am planning on having another one out soon. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy :) GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!