Status: This is a story I posted on Quizilla so I hope you guys enjoy it!

Melting On Ice

Chapter Twenty

“Patrick!” I whined as he placed his foot behind the hole, causing my golf ball to fall in. “I want to do it myself!” We had left his house to go play mini golfing. And to get away from his parents.

He laughed. “Yeah well I don't want to wait here all day.” He marked the score sheet that he held in his hands. “If you want, I'll give you an extra point for me helping you.”

I stubbornly crossed my arms. “Fine.” I walked over and picked up my golf ball out of the hole. “Your turn.” I watched as he set his ball down and took longer then necessary to assess the tiny course. “Today, Patrick. I'm growing grays.”

He shot me a look before kneeling down on the ground. He held out his club, like he was playing billiards, to make sure that he had a straight line. I knew that he was just doing this to mock me. He stood up and took two swings away from the ball, to get the right amount of power. I sighed loudly to give him the hint that I wanted him to hurry up. I loudly slapped the imaginary watch on my wrist but he just ignored me. He took a deep breath before swinging the club. I watched in disbelief as the ball rolled in a perfect line into the hole. He smirked over at me in satisfaction before walking over to where I was observing him. “So just mark a one down there.” He said as he pointed to the little slot by his name where I should put his score. He spun me around and kissed me suddenly. “I say, that every time one of us gets a hole in one, they get to kiss the other person.”

He leaned down to kiss me again but I placed my hands on his chest to stop him. “You don't need to rub it in.” He laughed as he led me along to the next hole. “Oh, I meant to ask you.” He glanced up at me momentarily as he made his way down the green to watch me play. “How come your grandpa wasn't at the party yesterday?” He was very close to his grandfather and so I was surprised when I didn't see him at the party.

“Oh, um.” He rubbed his forehead as a worried expression momentarily crossed his face. “My mom said he just wasn't feeling well. That's all.”

I crinkled my eyebrows down at the pink golf ball before I hit it. “Is he okay?”

“He'll be fine,” Patrick said as he picked up my ball that completely missed the hole and dropped it in. He turned and smirked at me. “Hole in one! Where's my kiss?”

I walked over and gently slapped him in the stomach. “You shouldn't get one just for doing that.” He laughed when I pulled him by his shirt to get him down to my height. We stood there, kissing each other, lost in time, for I don't even know how long until we heard little kids giggling behind us. I turned to see a family, awaiting their turn on the course. “It's like you can't get any privacy in this town.” I mumbled against his lips.

Patrick laughed as he pulled back from me and took my hand. “Do you want to go get something to eat?”

“But I wasn't done kicking your butt at mini golf yet,” I smirked as I leaned down and picked up my ball.

“You wish,” he laughed as he pushed me playfully before linking his arm in mine. “What do you feel like?”

I shrugged. “Pizza sounds good right about now.”

“Pizza it is then.” He smiled down at me as he pulled me over to the snack shack at the front of the mini golf place. When he finished ordering he said, “I'm surprised we haven't gotten recognized yet.”

I snorted as I went to go fill up my drink at the fountain. “By 'us' I assume that you mean you.” He smiled as he filled his own drink. “Besides, we're in Buffalo, not Chicago. Who would recognize you?”

“Patrick Kane!” I high girly voice screeched from behind us.

“'Who would recognize you?'” Patrick mocked me as we both turned around to see who had called him. “Lauren?” I watched as Patrick embraced with the nightmare of my past. “What are you doing out here?” He asked, totally shocked to see her in her own home town. Lauren was Patrick's ex-girlfriend. You could also refer to her as the person who tried to ruin my high school experience. She had always hated me for being Patrick's friend because she always thought that I would still him from her. Keeping this in mind, I walked over and wrapped my arm around Patrick's waist.

“Emma!?” She popped her eyes out in fake shock. “Oh my gosh! It's been like forever!” She squealed as she walked over and hugged me. I hugged her awkwardly but I couldn't stop watching Patrick stare at her. She gasped and stepped back suddenly. “I just got this fantabulous idea!” Fantabulous? What had Patrick seen in her? “My daddy just opened this new club.” She twirled her finger in her hair. Oh right, she was rich. That's what Patrick had seen in her. “You guys should totally come tonight.”

“I don't know,” I said, leaning into Patrick. “We might be busy.” I over-exaggerated every word that I said, hoping it would give Patrick the hint. We both watched as Lauren forced sadness to her features.

“No, I think we're free.” I squeezed onto Patrick's arm and he looked down at me questioningly.

“Oh goody!” Lauren clapped her hands together as she said this. “Alright, I'll text you the details tonight Patty. I can't wait!”

“Bye,” Patrick waved to her as she walked out of her sight.

“Patrick,” I slapped him roughly in the arm as I stepped back from him. “I don't want to go.”

“Why not?” He asked as he went to go grab our pizza from the counter. “It'll be fun.”

“Fun?” I asked him like he was an idiot before taking a giant bite of my pizza. “Do you even remember how Lauren treated me in high school?”

“People change,” he said as he stroked my hair. “Besides, it won't hurt for us to get out of the house for a little while.”

I groaned quietly as I shoved more pizza into my mouth. “Fine.”

* * *

“Oh my gosh!” Lauren ran over to us as we entered Club L. I assumed the “L” stood for Lauren. I glanced around and realized that it looked exactly like a movie. Bright lights blinding us from all directions, loud music blasting my ear drums, and people all smashed together on the dance floor. “I'm so glad that you guys made it!” She screamed over the blasting music.

“We wouldn't miss it!” Patrick screamed back as he stringed me along after him. “This place is really awesome!”

“Thanks!” She twirled around and started dancing. “Come dance with me Patty!”

“Patrick,” I hissed as he started to pull away from me.

“Just one dance!” He yelled as he started to fade into the crowd. “Just get a drink and wait for me at the bar!”

“I'm only twenty!” I screamed back. “I can't get a drink!” I realized that I was wasting my efforts because he was already gone. What a great time I am having already, I sarcastically thought to myself. I stomped over to the bar and sat down on a stool. I kept my eyes focused on the dace floor, scanning for Patrick, and I didn't even realize when someone sat down beside me.

“Looking for someone?”

I turned my attention to the person that spoke to me. “Oh my gosh! You're Drew Stafford!”

He smiled as he shook my hand. “Don't get too excited. I hear Patrick Kane is roaming around here somewhere.”

“You don't say.” I muttered to myself.

“You are?” He asked as he leaned closer so he could hear my answer.

“Emma,” I shifted in my chair and adjusted myself so that I was facing him.

“Can I buy you a drink?” He asked as he took out his wallet.

“Just a Coke.” I continued when he raised his eyebrows at me. “I don't drink. Someone has to be a designated driver for my boyfriend.”

He smirked at me as he took a sip of his own beer. “Man, I'm too late. You're already taken.” I smiled and thanked the waiter when he set a Coke down in front of me. “Now your boyfriend,” he shifted so that he was leaning in my direction. “He wouldn't mind if I stole just one dance, would he?”

I quickly scanned the crowd to see if Patrick was anywhere in sight. When I didn't see him, I grabbed Drew's hand and dragged himout into the crowd. If Patrick can have fun, why can't I? “I think it'll be alright, as long as you can keep a secret.” I teased him. He laughed and nodded as he pulled me closer to him.

“I haven't seen you around here before,” he yelled as he moved me to avoid running into someone. “Do you live around here?”

“Born and raised!” I yelled back as I tried to keep my dancing the least awkward that was possible. “But I'm in the Windy City now.”

“You must be their good luck charm.” He smiled as he referred to the 49 year Stanley Cup drought in Chicago. “Maybe you should move back here and we'll win The Cup!”

“I'll consider it.” I laughed as the DJ changed the songs. I spotted Patrick and Lauren dancing together. I felt myself stiffen as I watched them move closer to each other. Then closer, then closer.... “Patrick!” I caught him by surprise when I forced my way through the crowd and grabbed him arm. “You were about to kiss her!”

“I wasn't!” He said as he studied my furious features. “I wasn't.” I glanced over at Lauren who was smirking at me triumphantly.

I looked back at Patrick for a minute and slowly shook my head. “Whatever.” I stormed off into the crowd.

“Em, wait.” He grabbed my wrist but I shook it free.

“Let me go Patrick,” I said, my voice shaking from the tears that were forming in my eyes. “Just let me go.” He reluctantly released my hand, but still followed me out into the street.

“Em,” Patrick called as he followed my stomping footsteps as they echoed down the back alley from the club. “It wasn't like that. We were just talking.”

“Yeah, but if I hadn't stopped you, your lips would've been doing more then just talking.” I snapped back at him and some guys that were smoking outside the club glanced up at us.

“It's just that while we were talking,” I paused, curious to what he planned to use as an excuse. “I realized,” I turned around when he didn't continue.

“Realized what?” I laughed mechanically when he didn't answer. “That you're still in love with her?” I watched a tear fall to the pavement when he didn't respond. “You're still in love with her,” I whispered quietly, mostly to myself. I turned back and started to walk away.

“Em, wait.” He grabbed my hand to stop me. “Just please, listen to me.”

“Just tell me now, Patrick.” I said as I started to pull away from him. “So I don't waste my time.” He swallowed audibly and waited for me to continue. “Is it going to be me, or her?” I studied his face as I waited for an answer. I almost wanted to beg him to say something. Say that I was his obvious choice. But he didn't. “Forget it. It shouldn't even be this hard of a decision for you.” He released my hand and when I walked away from him, this time he didn't stop me. I wanted him to chase after me, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Not tonight. I turned the dark corner away from him and when I heard the door close, signaling that he went back inside, I slide down against the brick wall outside the club. I buried my face in my hands before I bust into tears.

“Hey, you ditched me.” I looked up to see a smiling Drew as he attempted to cheer me up. I watched as he slide down the wall next to me.

“I'm sorry,” I managed to get out in between sobs. “I was too busy getting dumped by my boyfriend.” I said the last part a little too loudly and I saw Drew glance cautiously around to make sure that no one was listening. “I loved him!” I sobbed into his shirt. “He told me he loved me. B-but he picked her!”

“Shhh,” he gently started to rub my back. “It's okay. Hey, if it makes you feel any better,” He pulled my body so that I was forced to lean into him. “If I was in his position, I know who I would pick.” He paused for a minute before saying, “the other girl.” I knew that he was just kidding around, trying to lighten the mood, but I was at a fragile time and let out a loud cry. “I didn't mean that, I didn't mean that.” He glanced around at the stares that I had earned us quickly before gently patting my head. “It would be you, no contest.”

“Thanks,” I sniffed as I rubbed my nose into his shirt.

“No problem,” he said, a slight look of disgust on his face. “Is there anything that I can do for you?” He asked as he helped me stand up.

“Actually,” I said as I tried to get my voice to become steady again. “There is.” He nodded and waited for me to continue. “Would you mind driving me to the airport?”

* * *

“One ticket to Chicago please.” I told the ticket saleswoman at the airport. She glanced at me strangely, which was understandable, considering that I was still in my disgruntled clothes from the club and my make-up was all smeared from crying.

“Would you like it to be round-trip?” She asked without taking her eyes off the computer.

“No thank you.” I said harshly. I already knew that there was no way that I was coming back here. It made me even more sad to think how fast we had gone hill. Just this morning we were a loving, poster couple, and now all we were was broken hearts and mascara stained cheeks. Well that's what I was anyway.

“Emma?” I swallowed hard as Patrick's voice came up from behind me. I noticed that he was panting slightly. I slowly turned around to look at him. His hair was windblown from I assumed running and his clothes were all wrinkled and stuck to his body.

“Go home Patrick.” I handed the lady my credit card to purchase the tickets. “There is nothing that you can say to stop me.”

“Please stay Em,” he said as he pushed past the people that were in line behind me. “We can talk at home.” He picked up my bag that I had set down beside me. “Just please stay.”

“I will if you tell me one thing.” He nodded eagerly and he licked his lips. “Who is it going to be?” He hesitated as he chewed on his lower lip. I sighed, determined not to break down into tears in front of all of these people. I struggled to take my bag back from him.

“Please don't go.” Patrick's blue eyes pleaded me as he held tight onto my suitcase. “Just please, don't go.” His voice cracked slightly at the end and I realized that he was on the verge of tears.

“I'm sorry Patrick,” I headed towards my gate and he followed after me. People gave us quick glances, but otherwise carried on their way. I tried yet again to take my suitcase from him, but he would not let it go.

“Emma, I love you.” I flinched back when he reached out to stroke my cheek. “Don't go.”

I swallowed hard. “I know you love me Patrick.” His face lite up slightly when I said this and a glimmer of hope flashed across his features. “But you also love her.” He opened his mouth to say something, but I stopped him. “And until you stop loving her, I'll be in Chicago.” He abruptly dropped my bag and watched me as I stepped onto the plane. “Goodbye Patrick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I made myself so depressed just writing this chapter! Well I hope that you guys like it anyway. I am giving myself a challenge tonight that I will update both my stories and finish a oneshot request. We'll see how this turns out. Since I actually live in Chicago (hence the username) there is a time change from this website, so if I post after 11 then it will say it's the next day. But I'll let you know if I truly meet the challenge. Thanks for reading! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!