Status: Active

The Soul Sword

Myra

"You must recognize that the way to get the good out of your brother and your sister is not to return evil for evil."

~Louis Farrakhan
American, Activist Quotes

Seven years prior

"I can't see! I can't see! Lemme see, lemme see!" Myra yelled to Miles, as she jumped up and down, trying to push him out of her way. The two of them were standing on a dock, against a guard rail, among a large crowd of people, watching as a giant sail-boat began it's voyage towards the horizon. "Miiillleeess," She whined, "You're. In. My. Way!" Myra slammed her foot down onto Miles' as hard as she could. Miles jumped backwards, yelling in pain, bumping into some angry strangers in the process.

"What'd you do that for?!" He yelled at her, as if he didn't know.

"Because if you don't move your fat head, I'm not gonna get to see daddy!"

"It's too late now, anyways." Miles told her. "The ship's too far away. You can't see anyone, anymore."

"But I wanna see!" Myra grabbed the guard rail and pulled herself onto it. The sun was nearly set now, since Miles and his family had spent the first half of the day traveling to the edge of Insula. His father, Marcus, had joined the army to fight in the latest war, much to the protest of his wife, and was heading off to the mainland. "So daddy's going to Slomum?" Myra asked.

"It's called Solum." Miles corrected. "Don't be an idiot. You should know that by now."

"Don't call me an idiot, stupid-face." Myra punched Miles in the arm.

"Don't call me a stupid-face, idiot." Miles said hitting her back. Myra pouted and acted like her arm was severely injured. "That hurt!" She told him.

"You hit me first." He defended.

"Yeah, but not that hard! I think it's broken..." She began examining her arm, by poking it in different places. "Yeah, it's definitely broken. I'm telling mom on you and you're gonna get in big trouble!"

"Go ahead and tell mom. It's not broken and she'll just get mad at you for annoying her."

"She will not!"

"Yes she will!" Miles insisted. Myra grumbled something and returned to nursing her arm. Out on the water, the boat carrying their father was just about over the horizon. The crowd of people who had gathered to watch their loved ones leave was now dispersing. Just then, Myra spun around on the guard rail again and punched Miles with her "broken" arm.

"There, now we're even." She announced.

"No," Miles said, as he pushed her back. "Now we're even." This time, however, Miles pushed her harder than before and Myra lost her balance. She swung her arms around for a second, trying to regain her balance, before plunging into the water below. Miles was stunned. He wasn't trying to make her fall... he was just getting back at her. This wasn't supposed to happen. He stood against the guard rail, staring down at the water for a few seconds, completely lost on what to do. Finally, Myra's head pushed through the water's surface. Her arms were flailing about and she was coughing up water.

"Help!" She screamed. "Help!" Miles started panicking now. He ran around in a circle for a second, surveying the dock. All the other on-lookers had left and not even his mom was in sight. Myra was still screaming in the water below. It was up to Miles to do something. Without entirely thinking a plan through, he hopped over the guard rail and plunged into the water next to Myra. As he reached forward to grab her, she slipped under the water again. Taking a deep breath, Miles swum after her. He quickly wrapped his arms around her small body and brought her back to the surface. Unfortunately, however, Miles wasn't that good of a swimmer and trying to keep himself and his sister afloat was almost too much for him. As he awkwardly made his way back to shore, she nearly slipped from his grip, twice, but in the end he was still able to drag her onto the beach.

Finally on dry land, Myra rolled over and coughed up some water. "Are you okay?" Miles asked her. Myra looked up at her brother.

"You saved me..." She said weakly, "Even though I called you a stupid-face..."

Miles smiled in relief. "Yeah," He said. "I'm your brother. It's my job to save you... even if you call me a stupid-face."

Present day

"Alright, Miles, now let's get moving again. Last night your town was swarming with demons... there are probably still some more in the area. We have to get away from here." Albin took the large book he'd been studying from and pushed it back into his pocket.

"First, you gotta tell me how your pocket fits that large of a book." Miles demanded.

Albin rolled his eyes, then said, "It's called an Infinity Pouch. It can hold an infinite amount of items. I have everything we'll ever need to survive in here. All you have to do is think of the item you want and then pull it out of the pouch."

"Oh." Miles said. "And that book you have contains information about the demons?"

Albin continued to glance around nervously. "Yes, now let's start walking. I'll explain it as we go." The small rabbit-like man began quickly moving towards the trees on the other side of the field. "Like I've already said, my species lived in Hell with the demons and kept them in line. It wasn't our job to stop them from creating evil, just to limit it. During that time I decided it would be a good idea to write a book on each of the fifty demons that Diabolus created."

Miles interjected, "If he only created fifty demons, how come there are way more than that in Hell?"

"Because there are two types of demons." Albin explained. "The fifty that Diabolus made and the demons that used to be people."

"People that died? And went to Hell?"

"Correct, but it's only their souls that go to Hell. The evil in their souls becomes demons in Hell, while their physical bodies remain here in your world."

"So, I'm assuming that means there's no Heaven?"

"Well, that depends on your definition of Heaven." Albin told him, but didn't explain further.

After a few more minutes of walking, Miles asked, "So what exactly is in that book of yours?"

"Well," Albin began, "It contains the names of all the demons, their powers, their weaknesses and their ranks."

"Their ranks?" Miles questioned.

"Well, I've ranked each of the fifty demons Diabolus created, based on their strength and power. All of them are divided into two categories: Greater Demons and Lesser Demons. Lesser Demons are the ones with a rank number of fifty through twenty-six. The three demons you captured earlier, Ensis, Securis and Cuspis, were ranks forty-seven, forty-eight and forty-nine. They were all lesser demons... and very weak lesser demons, at that. That's why it wasn't too difficult to defeat them. The Greater Demons are the ones with a rank number of one through twenty-five. Cruciatus, the demon you met in your house, was rank number ten.

"Greater Demons exist in your world differently than Lesser Demons, too. You see: When their souls escaped into Solum, the Lesser Demons used their energy to manifest a physical imprint of their real selves... the imprint isn't as strong as the real thing, but it still has a physical presence. The Greater Demons on the other hand have more energy to begin with, so they didn't bother creating an imprint. Instead, each of them possessed a certain object, something ordinary and mundane, and when a human touched that object, the demon implanted its soul into that human. By doing so, the demon would have a true physical body to manipulate and wouldn't have to give up any of their strength to exist in your world."

"So these Greater Demons," Miles began, "These are the guys I don't really wanna mess with?"

"Essentially... but in time, you'll have to defeat all the demons... even the Greater Demons." Miles thought about how powerful Cruciatus was. With one hit, Miles was lying on his back, blacking out with pain. How could he ever defeat something so strong?

"Hey, Albin?" Miles started. The trees in the forest were thicker and closer together in this area, so Miles had begun using the sword to cut his way through. "What's with these markings on the sword? After the battle with the three Lesser Demons, Animositas captured their souls and three, strange, red markings appeared around the base of the blade."

"Those markings are the names of the demons." The Lepus explained, "It lets you know which demons are captured within the sword."

"Oh." Miles said, wondering how he didn't come to that conclusion on his own. "Hey, you know, I never thanked you for saving my ass, back there." Miles told him. "If you didn't hit that demon with your fire spell, I would've been dead.

"Of course!" Albin commended, his whiskers twitching wildly. "I'm glad to help. It's what I'm here for." Miles felt good when he heard that. It was always nice to know that someone had your back... even if that someone was a three foot tall rabbit. Regardless, Miles knew he could relax for a moment, as he stared into the thick forest ahead. Three demons were down. That meant forty-seven remained... and one of those was the one that killed his family. If he had only one reason for risking his life with this mission -- if there was just one thing that would keep him going -- he knew it would be this unrelenting desire, for revenge.