Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter One

I looked at myself in the mirror. I smudged away the eyeliner that had run throughout the day and reapplied it. I was different from most people. I listened to rock music, hated some rap, and dressed however I wanted. When my step mom, Josephine, married my dad, Matt, she made sure my older sister and I became, “picture perfect,” although I didn’t fall into her, “transformation,” sadly my sister did. I really can’t blame her. If she didn’t then Josephine probably would have tried to disconnect her from our father. I’m surprised she hasn’t tried yet with me. I really couldn’t stand the women. I walked over to my stereo and placed in my new Plain White T’s CD. I lied on my bed and turn it up so I couldn’t hear anything outside my four walls. Then she had to ruin everything.

“Piper, turn that noise down!”

“Go fuck yourself…” I whispered.

“Piper…”

“It’s not noise!”

“Just turn it down…”

“Fine!”

I turned my stereo off and plopped face down on my bed. My cell phone vibrated and rang in my back pocket. I looked at the caller id and it was Becky. She was my best friend.

“Hello.”

“Hey Pipe!”

“Becky.”

“Sup? You sound kind of down.”

“Oh just the evil stepmother again.”

“Oh I should have known… well get some sunshine in your veins we’re going shopping for the dance.”

“Oh yeah… that’s right I almost forgot.”

“You’re such an idiot sometimes Piper. My mom and I are on our way to pick your ass up.”

“Yes but I’m your idiot. And I’ll be waiting out on my porch. Lord knows if Josephine sees you she’ll probably send Munster after you.”

“Ha… thanks for scaring me.”

“No problem…”

“See you.”

“See you…”

Munster was our English bulldog my sister, my dad and I had before Josephine came into our lives. My dad wanted to name him Monster but we figured people might think he’s vicious. So we settled with Munster… like the cheese. We were such dorks in those times. I grabbed my hoodie and luckily I made it out the door without seeing Josephine. Not like she’d care where I was at anyway. I put my hood up and waited for the familiar red mini van pull up. I jumped up out of the porch swing when Becky slid out of the back of the van. When we approached each other we high five each other like always.

“Can you believe this is the last dance we’ll be going to until next year?”

“The more important issue is what are we going to do this summer?”

“Try to stay out of trouble…”

“Note the word try.”

“Ha!”

“So who are you going to the dance with Becky?”

“I told you I’m not telling you! It’s a surprise.”

“Oh yeah that’s right.”

“What about you?”

“I’m going alone.”

“Josephine will be disappointed.”

I rolled my eyes. I never could win with her. If I would go with someone I really liked she probably wouldn’t like him. And if I didn’t go with anyone she’ll still be pissed. We pulled up outside the mall and Becky and I slid out of the van. Becky’s mom rolled down the window and Becky slid her arms through to hug her. My heart ached a little. I missed my mom so much. I wish her and my dad didn’t get divorced. I waved to Mrs. Hughes and looped my arm through Becky’s. As soon as we walked through the doors we got various glances from people.

“Becky… I think people think we’re a couple.”

“Those damn homophobes.”

We chuckled at each other and went into the first store of our many lists of stores to go to. When we got in Becky went like a bat out of hell.

“What do you think of this Piper?”

“Pink? I thought you didn’t like pink.”

“See here’s the thing… it’s hot pink! A totally different species of pink.”

“Whatever you say Becky.”

“But then again… I was thinking of matching with my date.”

“Why in the Sam heck would you want to do that? You’ll seem all cutesy and stuff.”

“Ah yes! Good point.”

After we ate lunch and got something at Starbucks I was pretty much done with shopping. Becky on the other hand didn’t even have a dress. I ran my fingers through my hair and examined the strawberry blonde color.

“Listen Becky… you go look some more. I’m going to sit down at the food court for a while.”

“Alright. I’ll send you dress pictures!”

“Ok… don’t get arrested.”

I dragged my bags through the crowded mall. I looked around the food court for quite sometime looking for a place to sit. But nothing, then I saw four boys sitting at a huge table. They looked curious as to who I was.

“Excuse me, can I sit here with you? All of the tables are taken.”

“Yeah sure.” The curly haired one said. I sat my bags next to me and waved kindly.

“I’m Piper. Thanks for letting me sit here.”

“No problem, I’m Joe, this is Pete, Andy, and this is…”

I followed Joe’s finger until it landed at the boy with the brownish blonde hair. Andy had to kick him out of a daze.

“Oh… sorry I’m Patrick.”

“Nice to meet you guys.”

“Oh shit I know who you are!” Joe said excitedly.

“You do?”

“Yeah you’re Piper Jones! I know Becky Hughes.”

“Oh. She never told me she knew you.”

“Well… we don’t know each other that well. We’re going to the dance together.”

“Ah ha! So you’re her mystery man!”

“But by the way he talks about her you’d think they knew each other for years.” Pete said.

“Aw you have a crush on Becky? That’s so sweet.”

“More then a crush. He’s practically in love with the girl.” Andy said while making kissing faces.

I chuckled, and then I looked over at Patrick. He seemed shy.

“So guys… do you all go to the same school.”

“Yup.” Joe said.

“What grades?”

“Junior.”

“Same here.”

“It’s weird that we’ve never met before.” Patrick finally spoke.

“Yeah.”

For the first time ever it felt like my breath was taken away. And he barely spoke. Then I got a text message from Becky. She told me to meet her outside the mall because she was finished shopping. Why couldn’t she have been that fast when I was with her.

“Well I got to go. I’ll see you guys at the dance I hope.”

“Yeah me too.” Patrick said while smiling the cutest smile I’ve ever seen. I felt my cheeks warm up a little. Patrick’s did the same. I waved goodbye and walked away. I felt like I was floating on air. Becky looked at me funny when I met her outside.

“What’s up with you?”

“What? Oh nothing.”

“You’re looking at the ground smiling and your cheeks are now recovering from a blushing fit. Piper Elizabeth Jones! Did you meet a boy?”

“I’ll explain everything in the van… just get your ass inside.”

“Piper and this boy I have no clue who it is sitting in a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G!”

That rhyme rang in my ears for the rest of the ride home.