Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Nine

It was noon the next day. I rolled over from my side on to my back and Patrick had his back turned to me asleep. I cringed a bit as the smell of sweat clung onto the bed sheets. Then I looked down on the floor at the empty box of condoms and smirked. Who would have thought Becky kept a box hidden under the mattress, she only had three left out of a box of twelve, either she’s had this box for a very long time or, eh, um, there’s something about Becky I really didn’t know. I probably owed her a box now. I’ll do her a favor and maybe get her a twenty-four pack. I walked to the bathroom to shower and I kind of felt like I had a hang over, maybe it was just exhaustion, taking a shower helped some. I was shivering as I dried off, maybe someone turned up the air conditioner. I went back into my room to get some clothes to wear. I grabbed the first thing that was there, a white tank top and a pair of cuffed jean shorts. When I went down to the living room the smell of nail polish filled my nose. Becky was painting her fingernails and Joe watched attentively. Becky gave me a big cheesy grin when she saw me.

“Hey.”

“Hey Piper, how was hump… uh I mean Stump.”

“You did that on purpose.”

Becky held her hands up in the air.

“Guilty as charged. But really, how was it?”

“Do you really think I’m going to dish anything with Joe Fro in here?”

Joe looked up at the mention of his name.

“Leave Joe!”

“Why should I have to? This is a living room, which means anyone can come and go as they please. You don’t own me Becky Hughes!”

Becky rolled her eyes and pulled me into the bathroom upstairs.

“So tell me… what was it like?”

“Uh, it was amazing…”

“Amazing? That’s it?”

“Well what else am I suppose to say? Do you want me to go into full detail?”

“No just tell me how it all got started.”

“Well, I was hyper… and I got him going, well I didn’t do it on purpose it just happened.”

“So it was all just a big accident?”

“No. Ugh, how else would you want me to explain this?”

“So you turned him on, and you got turned on because he was turned on?”

“Yeah… I guess you could put it that way.”

“Well I tell you, you guys went at it all night. Hailey, Jen, and I had to sleep in the guy’s room on the floor because you locked the door. I’m surprised you are still standing. You did have safe sex right?”

“Sorry about that. And yes Becky we did play it safe.”

“Good, we don’t want to have any babies now do we?”

“No Becky.”

“That’s my girl.”

Becky pinched my cheek and was about walk out.

“Becky! I need someone to take me to the closest store.”

“I’ll ask Jen.”

“No boys allowed!”

“Uh, ok…”

When I walked out Pete was standing in the hallway bewildered.

“Take a picture it’ll last longer.”

“Why were you and Becky both in the bathroom?”

“Keep your mind out of the gutters Pete.”

I patted Pete’s chest as I walked by. I thought I might as well get the sheets washed before anyone complains tonight about sleeping in dirty sheets. When I got in Patrick was in his boxers rummaging through drawers.

“Good afternoon sleepy head.”

“Hey baby.”

“Just came to get the sheets… don’t mind me.”

“Ok, do you need any help?”

“Nope just go on about your business.”

Later as I was waiting for the sheets to finish washing, Becky came in and asked if I was ready to go. I nodded my head yes and followed Becky out to the car, Jennifer was inside waiting.

“Hailey isn’t coming?”

“Nope, she told me her and Pete had plans.”

“Ok.”

It was nice to see Hailey and Pete acting like a couple. They were cute together. I rolled down the window so the wind could blow through my hair. Bringing relief from the Florida heat. When we got to the store I didn’t know where to find condoms at and I didn’t want to ask Jennifer or Becky where they would be at just because I wanted to glide past the humiliation. So I told them to look around the store while I went to go find what I was looking for. Luckily they didn’t question anything. Then began my search, after maybe fifteen minutes of absent-mindedly walking around the store I found them in the back of the store near the pharmacy. I was hoping to be able to get to the check out without running into Becky. She would make a big deal about this and I’ll be so embarrassed. But I wasn’t lucky enough. When I got to check out Becky was there looking at the candy. She looked at me from the corner of her eye and smirked. I ignored her and turned my attention to the cashier. She exchanged glances between the box of condoms and me. I smiled shyly and glanced back at Becky who as now trying her best not to start laughing. The cashier popped her bubble gum in her mouth and rang me up. I paid kindly and quickly walked out the store. Becky and Jennifer followed and when they got outside Becky laughed.

“Stop laughing Becky Hughes…”

“Ok, I’m sorry.”

“I’m glad you find my embarrassment funny.”

“Uh, huh.”

When we got in the car I threw the bag in Becky’s lap.

“They’re for you.”

“I guess you found my secret box last night then.”

“Yup.”

“Well I guess I can repay you by giving you some. Let’s see, oh you splurged Piper Jones and got the twenty-four pack, ok I guess we split it 50/50.”

Becky counted out twelve condoms and handed them to me.

“Give them to me later.”

“Ok.”

When we got home the whole living room was hazy with smoke. I coughed at the smell of marijuana. Jennifer gasped and pushed Joe off the couch, he laughed hysterically.

“Joe! Take that shit outside! I don’t want the whole fucking place smelling like weed then we all get locked up for possession of drugs!”

Joe stumbled to his feet and Jennifer picked up a dishrag and hit him in the ass with it until he was out in the back yard. I waved my hand in the air to fan the haze away from me.

“What are we going to do about this?”

Becky coughed.

“Get some air freshener, and lots of it.”

Becky, Jennifer, and I started spraying the whole room with three different scents of air freshener. I think they were Apples and Cinnamon, Spring Flowers, and Linen. We stopped when we thought we had eliminated the smell. Then Pete and Hailey walked through the door.

“Did a magical weed plant come walking by and combusted into flames?” Pete asked.

Becky pointed out to the back yard.

“Ah yes the Troh-man.”

“Oh my God I just inhaled some Apples & Cinnamon!” Becky shouted.

Everyone laughed, me I got out of there before I was high. I giggled as I heard the laughter fade as I walked upstairs. When I got up to my room Patrick rushed over to me and crashed his lips onto mine. What a pleasant surprise that was. I broke away before it got heated.

“Hello to you Mr. Stump.”

“I missed you.”

“I was only gone for a few.”

“I know.”

He brought our bodies together and I could feel the heat coming off of his skin. He kissed my neck and I let out a groan before I sighed.

“Not right now Patrick. I’m really tired.”

I let go of Patrick and crawled into bed. Patrick curled up next to me.

“That’s ok. I’ll be right here while you sleep.”

“Don’t leave…”

Patrick promised he wasn’t leaving and I brought my face into his shirt.

“Oh wait a minute!”

Patrick got out of bed and went to his laptop.

“Listen to this song, it’s off of Panic At The Disco’s new album. It’s called Northern Downpour.”

Patrick curled back up next to me and I closed my eyes and rested, listening to the song like a lullaby.

Northern Downpour by Panic At The Disco

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamond do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me
Then she said she can’t believe
Genius only comes along in storms of fabled foreign tongues
Tripping eyes, and flooded lungs
Northern downpour sends its love

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don’t you go down

Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely

The ink is running toward the page, it’s chasing off the days
Look back at boat feet and that winding knee
I missed your skin when you were east
You clicked your heels and wished for me
Through playful lips made of yarn
That fragile Capricorn unraveled words like moths upon old scarves
I know the world’s a broken bone, but melt your headaches call it home

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don’t you go down

Sugarcane in the easy morning
Weathervanes my one and lonely
(x3)

Sugarcane (hey moon) in
(Hey moon) the easy morning
Weathervanes (hey moon) my
(Hey moon) one and lonely

Sugarcane (hey moon) in (hey moon)
The easy (hey moon) morning
Weathervanes (hey moon) my (hey moon)
One (hey moon) and lonely

Sugarcane (hey moon) in (hey moon)
The easy (hey moon) morning
Weathervanes (hey moon) my (hey moon)
One (hey moon) and lonely

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down
You are at the top of my lungs
Drawn to the ones who never yawn
(x2)