Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Ten

July 1st.

“Baby you’ll look great in anything.”

“But I want to look fantastic for you.” I said before kissing him.

“Take me to the mall.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want to.”

“Fine.”

I plopped down on the bed and huffed. Patrick sighed and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

“I’m sorry if I made you mad.”

When I didn’t answer Patrick he kissed my cheek and squeezed me tight. I picked the some of the chipped nail polish off of my nails and tried to ignore him.

“You know I love you right?”

“Yes.”

“Good.”

“You could at least help me pick out something.”

“Shouldn’t your best friend be doing that?”

“She’s out with Joe.”

“Then ask someone else.”

“Fine I’ll ask Pete.”

I made it to the top of the stairs and my cell phone rang. I looked at the caller I.D and thought it was rather odd that my mom would be calling me.

“Hey.”

She said hello back, I could tell something was wrong because she was trying her best not to sound upset.

“Mom what’s wrong?”

“Your sister got into a car accident.”

“Oh my God. Is she ok?”

“The doctor said she lost a lot of blood. And she’s unconscious.”

There was silence on the line, my jaw hung and tears brimmed my eyes. With a deep breath I held them back.

“Get me a plane ticket back to Chicago.”

I ran back into my room. Patrick looked at me alarmed.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” I answered as I grabbed my suitcase. Patrick started to look like he was panicking.

“Ok.”

“Thanks I’ll see you soon.” I closed my cell phone shut and rubbed my eyes.

“What’s going on Piper?”

“My sister got in a car accident. I’m going back to Chicago.”

“I’m going with you.”

“No I don’t want the rest of your summer ruined. Stay here.”

“It’s ruined anyway if you’re not here. I’m sticking by your side Piper.”

“How are you going to get a plane ticket?”

“I’ll buy one somehow. I’ll be back.”

Patrick walked out of the room. I started packing my things. It didn’t take long for the news to spread. Becky came running in and hugged me.

“I came home as soon as Pete told me.”

“You didn’t have to come home.”

“I wanted to.”

Tears started flowing down Becky’s cheeks.

“Don’t cry! You’re going to make me cry.”

“Sorry. Please be safe. I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too.”

Becky wiped her tears away and helped me finish packing. Then Patrick came back in.

“I got the ticket.”

As much as I wanted to protest on Patrick going I didn’t.

“Ok, you better get packing.”

As Patrick packed I took my luggage downstairs. Pete was going to drive Patrick and I to the airport. It was 5:00pm when Patrick and I were downstairs and ready to leave. Everyone was standing before us. We all shared our goodbyes and some tears. “See you this fall bitches!” I said before walking out, that made everyone laugh and shed some light on this situation. But I couldn’t help but break down into tears when I got into the car and Pete drove away. Patrick held me close to try to calm me down. I could see a couple of tears leave Pete’s eyes too in the rear view mirror. We got to the airport just in time and our plane was called over the intercom. We were leaving in fifteen minutes. I hugged Pete tight and wiped my eyes on his shirt.

“Be safe on the ride back.”

“I will.”

Patrick said goodbye to Pete and Patrick and I went through numerous security checks. We finally boarded the plane and I was nervous as hell. This was my first time on a plane. Patrick saw that and gripped my hand tight. My heart rate quickened as the plane took off in the sky. Once everything was smooth I loosened up the grip on Patrick’s hand.

“Sorry if I crushed it.”

“That’s ok.”

“Thanks for coming with me by the way. You didn’t have to.”

“I’m there for you Piper, no matter what.”

“I’m so fucking nervous. What if this thing crashes?”

“Well let’s hope it doesn’t. But if it does then at least we’re together. ‘Til death do us part.”

“Good Lord Patrick, we’re only seventeen.”

“It’s never too early.”

I smiled at Patrick. Soon I was going to be landing back in Chicago. It might be nice to be back in the little suburb I had known so well. I just wished it wasn’t such a tragic homecoming. But all I could do was sleep through the ride. And so I propped up my pillow and got as comfortable as I could.

The next day.

I tapped my foot impatiently on the floor as I waited for my ride home. Where I would take a shower, and then going to the hospital.

“How will you be getting home Patrick?”

“I’ll just walk from your house to mine.”

“With all of your things?”

“Yup.”

“No I’ll have Tyler drop you off at your house first.”

“Are you sure he wouldn’t mind?”

“Yes.”

Tyler’s my sister’s husband. He was going to be picking us up. I could only imagine what he was going through right now. Poor kid. Later on my cell phone rang with an unfamiliar number. I answered it and it was Tyler. He was waiting outside the gate for us. Tyler got out of his car when he saw us and helped loading our things in the trunk of his car.

“Tyler this is my boyfriend Patrick, Patrick this is Tyler.”

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“Tyler you wouldn’t mind dropping Patrick off at his house will you? It’s not too far from mine.”

“Sure.”

“How are you doing by the way?”

“I’m holding up.”

“And my parents?”

“Ok, your step mom has been helping a lot with keeping them as calm as they can be.”

“I can’t believe this is happening.” I said to quietly to myself.

After dropping Patrick off at his house I was at mine. I thanked Tyler and quickly got cleaned up. Then I waited for Patrick to pick me up. When I got into Patrick’s car he smiled at me sweetly. I just smiled weakly and fastened my seat belt. Anxiety grew as we got closer and closer to the hospital.

“Thanks for taking me by the way.”

“No problem.”

“This is the last time you’ll have to take me here. I just wanted to let you know.”

“Don’t worry about it. If you need a ride I’ll come pick you up at the drop of a hat. Besides I want to go with you anyway.”

“Why?”

“To be there for you.”

“I can handle myself Patrick. But thanks.”

“I know.”

“I hate pulling you into this type of situation though.”

“I wouldn’t be a very good boyfriend if I wasn’t by your side through this.”

I smiled and took Patrick’s free hand.

“You’re the best boyfriend in the whole entire universe.”

When we got to the hospital I gazed up at the huge building. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to find anyone in this place. I pulled out my cell phone and called my mom and told her to meet us out in the lobby. When she came she practically threw herself into me.

“It’s so good to see you Piper.”

“Same here mom.”

“And this must be Patrick. It’s so nice to finally meet you.”

“Hello.”

Patrick shook my mom’s hand.

“Come on I’ll take you up to Audrey’s room.”

“How is she?”

“She’s doing better. She woke up for a little bit this morning. She’s asleep right now.”

I sighed in relief as we walked to her room. When we got there my step mom, my dad, and Tyler were there. Again I was thrown into everyone’s arms. Including Josephine. Either our talk before I left Miami was for real, or she was just being nice because this is a difficult time for my dad and I.

“Patrick, it’s nice to see you again. Have you been taking good care of my daughter?”

Patrick looked at me and smirked devilishly. I knew what he was thinking. I just smiled down at my feet.

“Yes I have sir.”

Without looking up I know my dad was probably exchanging looks between Patrick and I. Then I heard groaning. Everyone looked over at Audrey’s bed and slowly she opened her eyes. I smiled wide and waited for her to notice I was here. I didn’t want to just jump into her and hurt her. She glanced around the room and waved at me a little.

“Hey Audrey.”

“Piper.”

I walked over and sat down on the side of her bed.

“How are you feeling?”

“Well worse then I did after my honeymoon if you catch my drift.” She whispered to me. I just chuckled quietly. I admired her for still being positive during something so negative.

“Sorry I wasn’t here right away.”

“It’s ok. I guess knowing you came all the way back from Miami during summer vacation just to be with me makes everything bad you’ve ever done to me forgiven.”

“I never done anything bad to you!”

Audrey just smiled as she slowly sat up in bed. Tyler came over and kissed her on the cheek. His eyes still were worrisome but you can tell a load has been lifted off of his shoulders. Audrey looked over to Patrick.

“Hello.”

“Hi.”

“Oh! Audrey this is Patrick, my boyfriend.”

“Aw, nice to meet you. Sorry I didn’t freshen up.”

“It’s nice to meet you too.”

“Don’t hurt my baby sister by the way.”

“Audrey, don’t threaten him!”

“I wasn’t threatening him, I was just letting him know. I’m sure you’re used to that by now aren’t you Patrick?”

Audrey glanced over at my parents and Patrick just smirked.

“I’m glad you’re ok Audrey.”

“Thanks Piper.”

After numerous nurses came into the room a doctor came in to check her out.

“Well Mrs. Davis, you should be able to go home tomorrow, we’ll just have to wait and see how you’re doing.”

I looked over at Patrick who seemed to be a little bit tired. When the doctor left I told him he could go home.

“No I’m ok.”

“Patrick it’s ok you can go home, I can drive home with my parents.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“For sure?”

“Fo sho.”

“Don’t ever say that again.”

Patrick got up out of his seat and kissed the top of my head.

“Call me tonight ok?”

“I will.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“I love you more.” He whispered in my ear.

“Bye everyone. Get better soon Audrey.”

“Thanks.”

I watched Patrick walk out and I waved at him through the window in the door. When he left Audrey started to giggle.

“What Audrey?”

“Eh nothing it’s just I never knew you would have fallen in so deep.”

“Oh Audrey I don’t think it’s that serious.” My mom said. I glared over to her.

“Mom she’s right, I’m in head over heels, cloud nine, I can honestly say I want to marry this boy.”

“Please Piper, one obstacle at a time. When Audrey is better you can marry Patrick.”

I smirked down at my feet. My dad looked at my mom shockingly.

“I think it’s adorable. Young love.”

Audrey hummed the Wedding March.

“Just don’t get pregnant.” My dad chimed in.

“She won’t get pregnant because she isn’t having sex!” My mom hollered. Oh how she was wrong.

“She’s seventeen years old. If she feels she’s in love, well I wouldn’t mind Patrick being her first. He’s a nice kid he has his head on his shoulders. Just make sure you’re safe honey.”

My eyes nearly popped out of my eye sockets. My mom just slumped in huffed in her chair. I think a newly invented color of red was blushed across my cheeks.

“Oh my God! Piper, dad’s lost it.”

“For sure.”