His Own Harley Quinn

Thirty-Three

Jackie awoke in a trance, her head was pounding and she was sure that the soft classical music that was playing wasn’t helping.
The room wasn’t familiar and there was a tingling feeling coming from her arm. She sat up in the bed and saw the bright colorful world through the wide open windows that were in front of her.
Jackie was mesmerized by the beauty as she slowly got out of bed before jerking her I.V. in her arm.
“…eww…” Jackie remarked as she reached out for her I.V. to move with her towards the window.
She looked out towards Gotham City, she loved the view, it made her feel so—free!
Free; in more ways that one. Jackie turned around to see Crane in front of her.
Jackie pushed herself against the wall as she gasped. Crane looked at her concerned, he reached for her cheek but she slid off and away from the window.
“Can we just talk?” he asked.
Jackie ran out of the room with her I.V. trying to avoid Crane at all costs.
“Jackie!” Crane yelled, following her to the front door.
Jackie pulled off her I.V. just as Crane grabbed her wrist to stop her from opening the door and leaving the apartment.
“Listen to me!” he yelled, locking the door in front of her.
Jackie was lost, she didn’t want to be anywhere near Crane.
“I don’t know what happened, and quite frankly, I don’t care…but you need to let me go!” Jackie remarked, almost fearing for her life at that point.
Crane shook his head. “You’ve been out cold for three days…you’re probably very dehydrated. C’mon, sit down,” Crane suggested.
Jackie shook her head and jerked her wrist back from Crane.
“…I’m leaving and you can’t stop me!” Jackie muttered.
Crane sighed. “You are still mad at me?” he whispered to her.
“This is beyond you!” Jackie hissed.
“I’m not letting you leave; not until we talk,” Crane told her, his chest puffing up, getting bigger with his growing frustration and concern for Jackie.
Jackie teared up. “…I had a miscarriage,” she said, walking away from Crane.
He paused in shock. “When?” he asked, following her into the living room.
Jackie sighed as she sat on the couch. “The last time you saw me. I was five months along—and starting to show! You never noticed,” she confessed.
Crane gawked at Jackie, putting two and two together as he felt worse than he already did.
“Jackie…I…” Crane sat next to Jackie on the couch, he was at a loss for words.
There was silence in the room; Jackie took in a deep breath as she sunk farther into the couch cushion.
“I think we should break up,” Jackie said plainly.
Crane looked at Jackie shocked, he shook his head. “But—we can work this out!” he remarked.
“No, Jonathan,” She resisted.
Jonathan got up from the couch. “NO! I love you! What I did—it was wrong! But I’m gonna fight for you and treat you right! We’ll be The Scarecrow and The Ballerina!
“There will be NO Joker or Harley…and—” Crane continued to rant as Jackie slowly got off the couch and looked at Crane.
She didn’t want to fight with him, she wanted it to be over and done with “…I don’t want to be the Ballerina anymore,” She whispered.
Jackie began to tear up. She looked away from Crane as she tried to contain herself. “I just want to be Jackie,” She continued.
Jonathan Crane was lost, he was also confused and felt helpless as he walked towards Jackie; he rubbed her shoulder softly.
“You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. It’s me and you now, and that’s all that matters,” Crane told Jackie softly.
Jackie turned to Crane, she looked into his blue eyes and thought for a moment before taking in a deep breath. “…I wish that were true,” She muttered.
“It is!” Crane remarked, holding onto Jackie’s shoulders as he looked into her perfect eyes. “It is true, Jackie!”
“I doesn’t matter what you are so long as you are my Jackie! And that’s all I could ask for!” Crane whispered to her.
Jackie sighed. She looked at Crane as she pushed his hands away from her body. She didn’t want anybody to touch her.
“I just want to go home,” Jackie said softly.
Crane rested his hands on his hips as he thought for a moment; he nodded as he looked at Jackie.
“Just let me get you feeling better first,” Crane whispered, hoping Jackie would hook to that. He wasn’t about to send her back to Bruce Wayne sick and dehydrated.
Jackie nodded. “Ok,” She whispered.

Jackie rested on the bed for two days, Crane would try to sneak next to her but Jackie refused any physical contact with him.
Crane watched as she began to get her coloring back and the bags under her eyes began to disappear; it wasn’t too long before Jackie reminded him of his promise.
“Jackie, please!” Crane asked, holding onto her hands as he took one last look at her.
Jackie sighed. “No. Look, I’m gonna go back and be the good guy for a change. It was fun, Jon, it really was…but how conflicting would it be if you were the villain and I was the good guy?” she asked.
Crane wasn’t ready to give up just yet, he smiled at her “It could work! I need you, Jackie…you’ve made me a better person just being a part of my life!” he told her.
Jackie cocked an eye brow as she looked at Crane for a moment, questioning his last confession to her.
“Ok, maybe not so much. But I love you,” Crane whispered to her. “…I really mean it!” he assured her.
Jackie smiled. “…you’ll find a girl who likes to kick Batman’s ass with you…and I’ll be really happy for you!” he whispered.
Jackie’s hands slipped out of Crane’s as she left, leaving the apartment and closing the door softly behind her.
Crane’s heart broke as he stood in the doorway, he didn’t want to get over her; he didn’t want to find another girl.
Jackie was his air, his life. And he knew he was going to crumble without her around.