His Own Harley Quinn

Thirty-Four

Alfred answered the front door shocked, Jackie stood in front of him with a suitcase by her side.
“My god…” Alfred muttered, staring at the girl before him.
Jackie stared back at Alfred, waiting for it to click that he should probably let her inside Wayne Manor.
But he never did.
She cleared her throat. “May I come in?” she asked.
Alfred nodded. “Please," he muttered, taking her suitcase as he opened the door wider for her.
“Master Wayne!” Alfred called out, closing the door behind him while Jackie stood in the entrance, looking at the old familiar area.
Bruce came down the stairs softly. “Yes, Alfred?” he asked softly, looking up to see Jackie staring up at him.
Jackie could feel tears forming in her eyes as Bruce rushed down the stairs and hugged her tightly.
“I was sure I was never going to see you again!” he told her.
Jackie nodded. “I didn’t think I’d see you again either,” she muttered back to him.
Bruce pulled himself away from the hug and looked at Jackie closely, he brushed her hair with his fingers; checking her for bruises or scratches before taking a sigh of relief.
“Are you hungry?” he asked her.
Jackie let a small smile escaped her lips. “I’m famished."
Bruce nodded. “Alfred, her favorite…” he requested softly.

“Did you love him?” Bruce asked softly.
Jackie sighed. “I thought I did…” she remarked.
Bruce rubbed her back as they sat on her bed. "…I’m so sorry…” he muttered.
“…he begged me to stay, begged me! He told me he would change…that he loved me. What kind of a villain does that?” Jackie turned to him, almost giggling.
Bruce smiled at Jackie. “A persistent man," he assured her.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders. “I can’t believe I had his baby…” she told herself, almost gazing off.
It was silent for a moment before Bruce cleared his throat and looked at Jackie, it broke his heart to hear everything and to see what she had become after it was all said and done.
“…you realize that I’m gonna have to call Gordon,” Bruce whispered.
Jackie smiled softly. “Somehow, I knew you were gonna say that,” she turned to him and took his hand. “…I don’t want to fight it anymore," she told him.
Bruce cocked an eye brow. “Fight what?” he asked.
“The system," she muttered.
Bruce nodded. “I’ll call him in the morning; but now, you should go to bed. Relax,” he told her, getting off her bed.
“Are you gonna make a show when Gordon comes? Fight him? Yell? Scream?” she asked.
Bruce looked at her. “No…Alfred might, but no…I fought for you through the whole thing…and if you’re ready to let go, then I’m going to as well," he told her.
Jackie smiled. “Okay, goodnight,” she muttered softly.
“Goodnight,” Bruce said, leaving Jackie’s bedroom.

Alfred opened the door to see Commissioner Gordon with two police officers behind him.
“Please…don’t…I’ll do anything!” Alfred begged.
Gordon walked inside the Manor. “There’s nothing I can do. I’m sorry, Alfred," he said.
Bruce walked out of his study with his hands in his pockets, staring down at Gordon while the officers stood their ground.
Gordon nodded. “Shall you do the honors, or I?” he asked.
“She’s waiting for you,” Bruce muttered, trying not to make a fuss out of everything.
Gordon nodded. “Alright then,” he walked up the stairs to Jackie’s room with the cops behind him for protection.

Jackie sat on the foot of her bed, her favorite grey sweater hugging her body as she heard her bedroom door open.
Gordon softly kneeled next to her. “Jackie?” he asked.
Jackie turned to him. "…could you not cuff me? I’ll go willingly, I swear!” she told him.
“Jackie,” Gordon muttered.
Jackie turned to Gordon, she looked at him with her blue eyes waiting for whatever he had to say.
Gordon sighed. “…is there anything going on?” he asked.
The girl shook her head. “Nothing…why?” she asked softly.
Gordon shook his head as he stood up. "No reason. Come on…” he told her, taking Jackie’s arm softly and pulling her up off the bed.

Jackie sat in the back of the police car as it began to rain; watching Gordon speaking to Alfred and Bruce on the front steps of the manor.
Gordon patted Bruce’s shoulder as he shook his hand, then Alfred’s before running out into the rain to get into the car that Jackie was waiting in.
The Commissioner turned back to Jackie, soaking wet as he sighed heavily before facing forward in his seat, letting the officer drive away from Wayne Manor.

Gordon and his two officers escorted Jackie in Arkham Asylum where the infamous Dr. Green and a few orderlies were waiting for her.
Dr. Green tried to smile at Jackie as Gordon casually handed her over to the orderlies; Jackie turned back to Gordon and stared at him for a moment.
“Did you ever find Joker?” she asked him.
Gordon puts his hands in his pockets and shook his head. “No…never found him,” he remarked, turning away from Jackie.
The orderlies took Jackie into Arkham; Jackie sighed as she turned back and towards Arkham, remembering every office and corridor along with every hallway to every secured center.
Jackie didn’t feel so numb anymore and she certainly didn’t think she was schizophrenic either since she was at peace with everything that had happened.
But she knew that since it was protocol, her doctor, whomever it was, would put her back on the meds.
The girl thought about it over and over as they checked her in and took her clothes; putting her in the familiar flimsy cotton white dress along with a plastic bracelet with her name on it.
Jackie’s original room, 278B, was almost just how she left it.
The sheets were clean and the room had an unusual smell of bleach in the air as Jackie sat on her bed; closing her eyes to relax.