Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Filling In The Blanks

Why Jack had to go and make things unremarkably awkward was beyond me. The kiss was uncalled for, and because I had let him do it he no doubt thought he had won me over. Some bullshit that was. I was now determined more than ever to keep him an arms length away. I refused to let myself be played, or tricked into believing he felt any kind of emotions towards me.

I had gotten into the nasty habit of drinking a few bottles of rum a day. Sometimes I just needed something to take my mind off of that stupid fucking pirate. I hated how he acted, I hated his arrogance, I hated his nonchalance, I even hated his stupid dreadlocks. But what I hated the most was that I thought about his traits to such an extent that I grew to hate them. Why couldn't I block him out of my mind?

I had spent most of the last few days either locking myself up in my room or retiring to the crow's nest, beyond anyone's reach. There was, after all, only room for one. Up in the crow's nest things were quiet. Just the wind at my ears and the ocean in my vision. The occasional yells of the crew could be heard, but it didn't bother me. I usually only came out for one of four reasons.

1) I needed to go to the bathroom

2) I was hungry

3) I needed more rum, or

4) I wanted to talk to Will.

It wasn't like I was cutting myself off or anything, because I most definitely was not. I had no problem talking to anyone, and I wasn't exactly trying to hide from everyone else....Just Jack. I didn't want to risk falling victim to his stupid mind games. I hated that he knew how to use psychological tactics to manipulate those around him. It was stupid, and childish, and frankly annoying.

There were times like this, when I was sitting up on the railing at the stern of the ship with Will, when I regretted coming out of hiding. I came here to be as far away from the helm as possible. As far away from Jack as possible. He was conniving and sly and a liar and everything I didn't want. I took a gulp from the bottle, resisting the urge to death glare Jack as he walked by barking orders at the crew.

"Where are we going, Jack?" Will asked from beside me. I rolled my eyes. Jack took one look at me before turning to Will.

"Seems we've got a need to make a little pit stop, seeing as the lass is drinkin' me dry." He said bitterly.

"Jack, you drink twice as much as I do." I spat. He always cringed slightly whenever I did speak to him, because it was such a rare occurrence. We glared at each other for a few moments before Will piped in as referee.

"We're stopping for rum?" Will asked, not very pleased by the look of it.

"Yes, William. I do believe I just said that." He said impatiently. It was Will's turn to roll his eyes.

"What port?"

"Shipwreck cove.." Jack responded regrettably. Will suppressed a laugh at Jack's reaction.

"Alright then." Will said, a cue for Jack to leave. And he did. But as always, his eyes flickered to me for the briefest of moments. I stared at his retreating form.

"What's so bad about shipwreck cove?" I asked, looking back at Will.

"Shipwreck cove is where Captain Teague lives." He stated.

"Captain Teague?"

"Jack's father."

Image

We arrived in Shipwreck cove and it surprised me that the place was exactly what it was called. A city built from shipwrecked boats all piled in the middle of a cove. There were thousands of little candles burning in makeshift windows and the town was quiet. For a pirate town. We weighed anchor and again Jack roared orders at the crew. He'd been testy for the past couple of days. I smirked, figuring it was because of my attitude.

Once everyone else was gone I took my time walking off of the ship. I admired the town as I entered, wandering around but staying close to the sea. It was easier because the city was built mostly over top of the water, but I didn't want to risk anything. I got strange looks from the pirates I passed and smiled. I stood out remarkably with my multiple piercings, short dress, and half assed attempt at leggings. It was a funny feeling.

When I satisfied my touristic side I retired back to the outskirts of town, near the docks. I sat on the edge of the dock, wondering where we'd be venturing too after this. I tried to figure how much longer I could go on being a bitch. It wasn't entirely Jack's fault. I mean, I had let him. But I was shocked and tired and weak and not of a sane frame of mind. I groaned, trying to push away the coldplay lyrics popping into my head.

Lights go out and I can't be saved, tides that I try to swim against. Fork me down upon my knees, oh I beg, I beg and plead...

"You ain't from around here, are ya?" A deep voice sounded from behind me. I spun around, and my eyes locked with those of a man that looked ridiculously familiar. Dreads, clothing, kohl, this man was no doubt the father of the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow.

"Umm..." I began, not knowing what to say. He slowly approached me, but I felt no fear. He wasn't a scary person, and he didn't seem to have any dark ulterior motives.

"Catalina, I take it?" He said, shocking me as he took a seat beside me.

"How did you-"

"Tia Dalma and I are good friends." He explained.

"Runs in the family I guess." I said, a hint of spite slipping through my voice. It caused the man to laugh. What had Will called him? Teague, Captain Teague.

"How's the boy been?" He asked. I bit my tongue and refrained from rolling my eyes.

"He'll be back soon with his precious alcohol. Never too late for a family reunion." I said, keeping my eyes glued to the horizon. He laughed again.

"He never really was one for makin' good impressions." He remarked.

"Or being polite, or logical, or humble, or useful in any way." I vented, temporarily forgetting I was saying this to Jack's father.

"If there's one thing I know about that boy, it's that he over-speaks when he shouldn't and under-speaks when he should." He said honestly. I looked at him for the first time.

"I don't mean to offend you Captain Teague, but your son is irrevocably stupid." I said, almost exasperated.

"Aye, I reckon that's true. But he ain't so easy to figure out as he seems, lass. Lots of hidden thoughts in that one" He said, looking out at the waters. I did the same.

"That's something I find hard to believe." I muttered. We sat in silence for a few moments, before a question escaped my lips before I could think if I wanted to know the answer. "Do you know anyone named Arabella?"

"Arabella Smith? Aye. Didn't think he'd talk about her again. What'd the boy say?" He asked, looking at me.

"Not much...Who was she?" I asked, facing him as well. He looked at me for a moment, as if he knew I was not telling him something. But he continued nonetheless.

"Arabella and him met when they were young. Thick as thieves, they were. See Jack went off adventurin' when he was still a boy. No older than 15 I reckon. The two of 'em went through some tough times. Poor girl's mother went on a ship and didn't come back. They looked after each other. And one day they have a run in with another pirate ship, and Arabella's mother is in the crew. Of course she leaves to be with her mum. Broke Jacky's heart, she did." He said, watching me as I digested the information.

"So he...loved her." I stated. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad that I reminded Jack of his first (and what I assumed was his only) love. The two reactions battled within me as I waited for an answer.

"Aye." He replied, leaning against the post on his side of the dock. I nodded, looking down at the waters. "Whatever he's done, he'll come around." He said. I hated that I was so damn easy to read.

"Am I really that obvious?" I asked meekly.

"I just know Jack." He smiled. "There's much bigger problems ye need to be focusin' on than the boy." He added, and I sighed.

"I know. Is that all I'm supposed to do? Kill everyone who opposes pirate's view on life?" I asked, turning fully to him and resting against the post as I brought my knees up to my chest. He smiled.

"Not at all, lass. It's going to seem pointless, even wrong. But it ain't. Beckett would do worse to people than blow up a few ships. That boy's mad." He said.

"Mad like Jack?" I teased.

"What?" The oh-so-familiar voice called from halfway down the dock. I sighed, and looked over at him. His nervous expression at the sight of his father and I was priceless.

"Time to go, love." He said. I looked back at his father, and he stood up. Offering a hand, he helped me to my feet.

"It was nice talking to you, Captain." I said as Jack hovered awkwardly.

"Anytime, lass. You remember what I said." He said, and I pulled him into a hug. I needed to hear what he had told me. I pushed past Jack and merged with the crew as they lugged different supplies (but mostly crates full of rum) onto the Pearl. I saw Jack stand with his father, and they talked. Teague was cool, calm, collected. Jack was a nervous wreck.

"Met the Captain, did ya?" Mr. Gibbs asked from behind me. It was only after he spoke that I realized I had in fact been staring at the two pirates.

"Yep. Jack's quite different from his father." I remarked quietly, causing Mr. Gibbs to laugh.

"Ain't no other like Cap'n Jack." He said happily, admiration in his voice.

"Isn't that the truth." I muttered under my breath.

Image

I was sitting on the railing of the helm, watching the sun set while the crew clocked out for the night. I held a bottle tight in my grasp, surveying the pinks, blues, and oranges reflecting off of the waters. We left Shipwreck cove, and my mind was buzzing. I listened intently as the footsteps and voices faded. But I knew I wasn't alone. His presence was impossible to ignore.

"What exactly did you two talk about, eh?" He asked, keeping his distance but coming close enough.

"Nothing special." I said nonchalantly, drinking down a gulp.

"Well I find that hard to believe if I'm bein' honest." He said.

"Why's that?" I asked, eyes staying forward as he took a single step towards me.

"Because you haven't given me a single death glare and I've not yet received an insult." He replied. I turned to him, giving him a sarcastic look. He smirked.

"There's our Cat." He said. I turned back to the water so he wouldn't see me laugh.

"Your father's nice, Jack. How'd you turn out so different?" I said, noticing as he took a few more steps.

"Your mood swings are awful hard to keep up with, love." He remarked, leaning against the railing beside me. I rolled my eyes. "I need to know what he told you, Cat."

"Like I said, nothing special." I replied, taking another swig from the bottle. He sighed quietly.

"Well ye certainly have developed a liking for all-the-rum-you-can-drink." He pointed out, and despite my best efforts I cracked a smile.

"If it's bothering you that much, I'll cut back." I said, lightening my tone. His vibe shifted tremendously. At the mere lightness of my sentence all of his anxiety disappeared. It was scary. Here I was thinking I was unpredictable.

"Drink all ye like, love. So long as it doesn't go to your head." He said, and again I rolled my eyes. I swung one leg over the banister so I could face him.

"If you haven't noticed, I can handle my liquor quite well." I replied, raising my eyebrows before taking a large gulp-- just to prove my point. He held up his hands in mock defense, and I let a light laugh through my half-gritted teeth.

"I think I know better than to question a woman." He said.

"Glad to know you've learned something."