Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Show and Tell

Today marked my first full week aboard the Black Pearl. Each night that I went to sleep I always had the fear that when I woke up I would have somehow been transported back to my time period. And each morning that I woke I was glad to see I was still amongst the crew of the Pearl. Other than Grapple, I got along magnificently with everyone. Will was, no doubt, my closest friend here. When I wasn't talking to him, I was either asleep or alone.

I decided today to shuffle through what I had brought in my bag from my 'previous life'. Or...future life? Whatever it was. I was ecstatic to see that I had left all of my earrings in my bag, despite the fact my mom had told me to put them away ages ago. I quickly fished them all out and put them in. Nose ring, eyebrow ring, and snake bites. I pulled out my phone and used the blank screen as a mirror, admiring my appearance. I adored my piercings.

Digging deeper my hand wrapped around a metal object. Pulling it out, I was delighted to see that I had my iPod. I desperately wanted to find Will and show him something from my world. Walking onto the deck, my eyes were glued to the screen of the device as I tried to find something he might like. I tried to remember if Beethoven was still alive right now or if he had died when I collided with someone. One inhaled breath and I didn't even have to look.

"Sorry Jack." I mumbled, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Not a problem, love." He smirked. "I see ye found your face metal." He said, gesturing towards my face. I laughed at his mannerisms.

"Your powers of observation are astounding." I remarked.

"What's that?" He asked, nodding towards my hand.

"Oh...It's called an iPod." I said.

"A what?"

"An iPod. It plays music." I explained, and offered for him to take a headphone. He looked at it, leaning slightly away from it as if it were an alien form. He looked back and forth from the headphone to me, and I stifled my laughter.

"What do I do with that?" He asked, slightly intimidated by a piece of plastic. I pushed his dreadlocks away from his ear and gently placed it into his ear.

"I'm going to hit play, and you're going to hear music inside your head, okay?" I said, preparing him. He merely nodded, getting ready for whatever the device threw at him. I decided to play something that would be similar to what was around these days. Selecting "Chanson du Toreador" I listened as the orchestra worked in harmony to produce a beautiful sound. The second the music started Jack jumped slightly. And then his eyebrows squished together as he scrutinized the device.

"Can I...touch it?" He asked nervously. I held it out for him to take. Carefully and slowly he closed his fingers around the object, and lifted it up to eye level. He turned it over a few times, inspecting all of the sides. "There ain't...little people in here, ay?"

"No Jack." I laughed. "You can change the song if you'd like." I replied. He nodded, a trace of a smile fling across his lips. I took the iPod from him and pointed to the icon that said 'music'. "Touch that." I instructed. He looked skeptical, but leaned in and pressed the screen. A new screen unfolded, causing him to jump back. A proud grin spread across his face, and he leaned into the device once more.

"What next?" He asked like a child. It made me smile.

"Look at the titles of the songs on the list, and glide your finger vertically up to see more." I said, demonstrating. He quickly tried it, having loads of fun simply moving the list up and down, up and down. Finally he chose a song, although this time I was sure he wouldn't like it. It was Alexisonfire, "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners, and Saints." Which started off with the lead singer's classic screamo. Jack jumped, and ripped the earphone away from him. Shaking it off, he turned to me.

"Well that is quite the interesting little...thing. Although your selection could use a little work." He remarked.

"Never made you choose that song." I replied.

"Aye, but why settle for that music," He countered, and leaned in slightly. "When you and I could make beautiful music of our own, ay?" He smirked. I smirked back, leaning in as well.

"Keep telling yourself that, darling." I replied, hitting him with one of his own lines. I then pushed past him, walking onto the deck.

"Why not, love?" He protested, following me. "Here we are, in the middle of the Caribbean. You. Me. The open sea." He said, and then smiled slightly to himself at the fact that he had rhymed. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms against my chest. There was a line, and he needed to be careful not to cross it. "Here on a beautiful ship, at my command. Settin' the mood would come quite easily." He said, standing no more than a foot in front of me. His rum stained breath floating into my nostrils.

There was...something about him. Besides the good looks, of course. Good looks meant nothing to me. And that was the stupid part. Jack Sparrow was the kind of man who I'd promised myself never to go for. He was arrogant, he was selfish, he was sexist, and he was a major horn dog. So why then was I feeling the slightest increase of feelings towards him? It was small, no more than a decimal that I was feeling. But it was there none the less. And that made me angry. I did not want to be played.

"Jack, give it up." I said quietly, my eyebrows slightly crushing as I tried to find reason for the feeling.

"Come on, love-"

"No thank you, Captain Sparrow." I said angrily, but not before being overcome by a strange feeling. A foreign feeling. It had nothing to do with Jack, or anything else for that matter. It was an out of place feeling of control. I looked around at the current surroundings. Nothing out of the ordinary. A few crew members doing odd things, the sea waves pretty active, a wind blowing through, an overcast sky. Why then did I suddenly feel strong?

"Jack," Will called, emerging from below. Jack's eyes lingered on me a moment longer before he turned to face his comrade.

"Ay?"

"We can get more speed if we let loose the canvas. The sooner we get there, the sooner we get it over with. Neither of us greatly wants to see her, Jack." Will said, proving his point. Jack sighed.

"Aye, You 'ave a point dear William." Jack said, his eyes on the floor as a million thoughts ran through his head. "Mister Gibbs!" He then roared in a loud voice.

"Aye Cap'n!" Gibbs said, shuffling across the deck to the pirate's side.

"We have a need to travel up river." Jack said, shooting a sideways glance to me. I slightly leaned away from the look, wondering why he did so.

"By a need do you mean a...fleeting need or a passing fancy?" Gibbs asked regreteablly.

"The wind's on our side, and we need to arrive at our destination both quickly and rapidly." Jack said, and then frowned momentarily at the stupidity of his sentence. I, merely laughed. The three men separated, and I went up to Will.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We're...going to see an old friend of Jack's." He replied.

"How come?" I persisted. He hesitated, as if not knowing whether or not he should tell me.

"Well, we figure she'll be able to tell us how you got here." He said, risking a glance at me.

"Great." I said after a moment. Did I even want to know? Yes, yes I did. But what I didn't want was to go back. Right?...