‹ Prequel: Almost Gone
Status: he he

Halfway There

Chapter 2 - Emma

I can’t believe it. Kate’s married, and Ella’s possibly pregnant! Gosh, so much can happen in such little time …

“Hey, Emma!”, Carl says happily, kissing my forehead.

“Hmm?”

“Whatcha doin’?”

“Just a writin’,” yeah, I’m cool. I know how to write!

If you have not noticed the sarcasm … THEN WHAT FRICKIN’ PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON?!!!!

“Whatcha writin’?”, Carl’s so annoying … ugh, he hasn’t stopped bugging me since he asked me to marry him. At the annoyance level he’s at, I’ll probably beg Kate to tell me where exactly her “honeymoon” spot is. Seriously, he’s annoying the heck out of me!

“I’m just writing a song, Carl. Gosh, you’ve been such a pain lately.”, okay, that was harsh. But I've been PMSing lately ...

“Hey, I’m nosy!”

I roll my eyes. I hope you’ve caught on by now on what I’m thinking right this second …

I ignore Carl’s babbling, wondering whether Kate knew that Ella could possibly be pregnant. She’s ordering those little test things. I’m not sure if she told Max or not. Hey, if she won’t, someone will. But, that’s only if she is pregnant …

“Emma? Hello!”

“Huh? Yeah, sure. Have fun,” I say dismissively, trying to return to my thoughts as I zone out.

I zone back in as I hear Carl say, “Okay, fine. I’ll go hook up with some girl. Have a nice day!”

“Oh no you don’t!”, I say, grabbing his arm as he tries walking away. “I’m listening.”

“What’s up with Ella? She’s been acting really weird lately …”, Max walks in, asking that. I debate silently whether I should tell him or not, deciding that Ella’s going to tell him eventually even if she isn’t — which in the name of his and her sanity, I hope she isn’t.

“I dunno. Ask her yourself, Max. What am I? Your personal gossip on all things girls?”, I was just babbling to get him to go away.

“You’re her friend. I thought girls just told everything to each other.”

I roll my eyes. There was still a fair amount that mostly everyone didn’t know about me … like what happened to my mom …

I wince, looking away. I didn’t want to relive that memory either.

“We don’t tell each other everything, Max.”, I say as unemotionally as I could summon up, trying to hide the raging emotions that felt like they were tearing me up inside, as memory after memory tried forcing their way into my head. “There’s still a lot I haven’t told.”

“Like what happened to your mom?”, Carl asks hopefully.

“Why don’t you let it go, Carl. I don’t wanna talk about it.”, I say through my teeth, glaring at him. I didn’t care that I was being mean. The memories were flooding my mind, forcing me to remember … I can’t stand it!!

I stand up quickly, sprinting away from them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

I wasn't entirely sure what to write ... so, I just chose the randomest things that popped into my head.