Status: Just getting started, so it will take a while to get out

Finding Love

Chapter 4- Finding Football (Lillie Mae)

When we were younger, my brothers and I played every sport we could get our hands on and that is how I got where I am today. Drew and Sam taught me everything I needed to know about playing football and ever since I caught that first pass from Drew, at the age of nine, I was hooked. Football became everything to me. I would do anything to play, even dress up like a guy. When I was on the field, I wasn’t Lillie Mae DeMario; I was Alexander (Alex) Porter, Porter being my dad’s last name, my last name before Marcus adopted Drew and me. The guys on the team know about Lillie but they know her as “my sister.” None of the guys know that I’m a girl and I did everything to keep it that way. Football meant everything to me and was tied for the second most important thing in my life, behind my family, and tied with my music.

I took a deep breath as I walked out onto the field, it was the first game of the season, and I was nervous. I scanned the crowd quickly and found Quinn before turning my attention to our coach, then to the QB, Nathan. Personally I think he is gorgeous. Nathan has light skin with dark brown hair that he has cut short and very sexy blue eyes. You could say I have a big crush on my QB. The first play was called and the game started. After the first snap, the only thing my mind was focused on was the game. The first half went by in a blink and we went into the locker rooms with a lead at half-time, 24-7. I had 10 catches for 90 yards. My mind was racing; I couldn’t believe we were doing so well. The coach gave us his half-time speech then before I knew it, it was time to get back on the field. The rest of the game was like a blur to me and before I knew it the first game of the season was over and we won, 45-28. I had a total of 20 catches for 200 yards. I was beyond happy. I couldn’t believe how well I did. The coach gave us his post-game speech before sending us to the locker room to get changed and go home. He told us to be ready for practice on Monday but before we left he handed out the game ball to Nathan. He threw for 560 yards, completing 45 of 60 passes for 4 passing TDs, two of which I caught, and 2 rushing TDs, one of which he ran for himself. To say he had an amazing game was an understatement. He was beyond amazing. I slowly took my shirt off, gingerly as someone who had a previous injury not that I really had one but thanks to Quinn’s mom I had a reason to wrap my chest. When I decided to play football, I needed a legitimate reason for Alex to wear a chest wrapping so Quinn and I explained to her mom what the plan was and how I needed a medical reason to wear a chest wrap. She agreed to write Alex a doctor’s note. As far as my team and coach know, I have a previous injury to a rib that needs to be wrapped every time I play football so I don’t injure it again. I placed my clean shirt on, grabbed my bag and headed out to meet Quinn but not before changing back into Lillie. I was almost out of the locker room when I was stopped. I turned around and saw Nathan.

“Alex,” He started, “party tonight, you in?”

I shook my head, “Can’t, mom is riding on me for not doing chores, but Lillie and Quinn can come, if it’s okay.”

Nate smiled, “Sure, ‘bout time we met Lillie.” He handed me a piece of paper with the address and we did the team handshake before I left. I tried to suppress my sequels until I was in the janitor’s closet to change. He wanted to meet me. I couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face as I got changed into blue jeans and a tank top with a zip up sweater over top. I grabbed “Alex’s” bag before heading out to find Quinn. I found her waiting for me by the entrance. I walked over to her with a huge smile on my face. I couldn’t stop smiling. I had talked to Nathan before but it was mainly about plays and football related stuff, never about a party or hanging out. Not that he was talking to Lillie at the time but still he was talking to me. I couldn’t believe he wanted to meet me.

“Quinn, you’ll never believe what just happened!” I said excitedly when I got up to her.

“Nathan asked ALEX a question??” Quinn guessed.

I smiled, “YES! He invited me to a party! Well, Alex but I got us invited instead.”

“How’d you do that?” Quinn asked amazed.

“I told him that my mom was mad at me for not doing chores so I couldn’t go but that Lillie and Quinn could go, if that was okay. He said that it was ‘bout time he met me,” I said smiling.

“Oh smart one! I can’t believe we’re going to our first high school party!” Quinn said excited.

“I can’t believe Nathan wants to meet me,” I said biting my lip.

“Well you do always talk about your “cool sister”, so I believe it,” Quinn said with a smile.

I stuck my tongue out at her, “I can’t help telling the truth.” Real mature of me, I know.

“That’s real mature,” A voice said from behind us. We turned and saw Nathan. He nodded at Quinn, “Quinn.”

Quinn nodded at him, “Nathan.” And with a look from me she said, “Nathan I would like to introduce you to Alex’s sister, Miss Lillie DeMario.”

Nathan smiled, “Nice to meet you.”

I blushed, “You too. Great game today, you looked like the next Peyton Manning out there.”

“You know football?” Nathan asked. “Where have you been my whole life?”

I was speechless, did he just flirt with me.

I smiled, “Oh, no place special, just Harlem School of the Arts.”

Nathan smiled as a new guy walked up. Something about him looked familiar but I couldn’t place it. He did some sort of handshake with Nathan and turned to us, smiling as his eyes landed on Quinn, “We meet again.”

Quinn looked over at the newly arrived guy and said, "That we do Mr. Porter." and as she said this a shy, but happy smile lit up her face.

I smiled at Quinn, “Are you going to introduce me to your new friend?” His last was Porter, that was a little weird but I know a lot of Porters, so it could just be a weird same last name thing.

"Ha-ha, oops, sorry." Quinn said smiling still but blushing a little out of embarrassment. "Lillie, this is Sam Porter, Sam this is my best friend, Miss Lillie Mae."

“Nice to meet you, Sam,” I said looking closely at him. This name thing just stepped up a notch. Sam Porter…my brother’s name but it couldn’t be him. He was in Boston with my dad. It was impossible that it was him. It could happen that there is more than one Sam Porter out there. He looked around Sam’s age too, but it couldn’t be my brother. Sam is with my dad in Boston. I’m sure my mom would have found out if that changed any. I looked at Quinn, “We should head back to my place and get ready for the party.”

"Okie dokie," Quinn said getting excited. "Hey, do you even know where the party is?"

Nathan looked at Sam then back to the girls, “We can come get you.”

I looked at Quinn, “That’s okay with me, if it is okay with Quinn.”

Quinn looked at Sam smiling then turned back to me and said, “That's perfectly fine with me Lillie. But we'd better get back now so we have time to get changed.”

We said good bye to the boys and headed back to my place where we were going to get ready for the party. I had a feeling that my life was about to change.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,410 words
That's all for now :) Enjoy.