Perfection for a Day

Just Don't Leave Yet

We watched the tv in almost complete silence for an hour before we heard a faint beeping coming from somewhere. Stephen and I looked at each other then towards John. He was doubled over retying his shoe laces.

“Where do you think you are going?” Stephen asked.

“Set your goals is playing in like 15 minutes. That gives me enough time to walk over there.” John said.

“Can I come with you?” I asked, “I love set your goals.”

“Of course. Then we can come back because I doubt Stephen will come with us.”

“You aren’t coming too?”

“No I’ll probably stay here and do anything else.” Stephen said. The answer threw me off, I stared at him then looked over at John.

“Would you give us a moment?” John nodded and walked out of the bus. “Why won’t you come with us?”

“I just don’t want to go that is all.”

“Are you just mad because I don’t want to kiss you. I have a really good reason for that if you want to hear it.”

“Shoot.”

“This is probably the best day of my life. Definitely the best day I’ve ever spent hanging out with a guy. But tomorrow you are going to be gone, and I’m going to be here, alone. I’m hoping that it won’t hurt so bad if we don’t kiss. I know that if I kiss you that will change my feelings and make them stronger. And trust me they are strong enough without your lips. I think somewhere through out the day I started to fall for you. And I’m not like you I can’t go to a new city tomorrow and fall in love again. Tomorrow I will still be in this city completely in love with you. Why would you want to make this harder for me by kissing me. There is nothing good that will come from this and I don’t want to be a one night thing with you but friends, I can do the friendship thing I can do it well. And friends don’t kiss each other.”

“I don’t want to be your friend. I want to be the kind of friend that is lucky enough to get to kiss you.”

“I don’t kiss my friends sorry.” I got up and headed toward the bus door. “Umm I’m guessing this is goodbye because I think I’ll probably find my friends and leave after set your goals.” I left before he could say anything to try and change my mind.

“I was trying to say I wanted to be your boyfriend you stupid stubborn girl.” Stephen whispered after he heard the bus door shut.

John and I walked in silence towards the stages and as soon as we found the stage set your goals was playing at huge smiles came across our faces. We danced around to the beat laughing at some of the concert goers who were totally lost in the pit. John grabbed my arm and started pulling me away.

“Lets go back,” John said as the last note rang out, “We can snack or something.” I shook my head slowly and took a step away from him.

“I’m not going back to the bus. I’m just going to go home. I’m tired and kind of want this day to end.” I replied.

“But you have to say goodbye to Stephen.”

“I did that before leaving the bus. I just thought it was time to leave.”

“What happened? You and Stephen seemed so happy earlier.”

“We were, this has been a perfect day for me but tomorrow you guys are going to be gone. And I thought I was ok with that until Stephen tried to kiss me. I realized that I developed some sort of actual feelings for him, I can’t do it anymore. I can’t stay here with him anymore.”

“But what happened? So he tried to kiss you he likes you I guess. I don’t see what the problem is.”

“The problem is he is going to go some place new tomorrow and he can fall in love there. I don’t need to have my heart broken over this stupid perfect day.”

“Come back to the bus and explain this to him.”

“Already done. The only thing left for me to do is leave. John it’s been nice hanging with you.” I stuck my hand out towards him but he ignored it and pulled me into a hug.

“Don’t leave yet. Just don’t leave.”

“Well I doubt that my friends will let me leave before we the kings and they are closing the day today so you’re in luck.”

“Well then I’ll see you at main stage soon.” He gave me another hug and ran off towards the buses. I pulled out my phone and called my friends.

“Where are you guys?” I asked as soon as she answered the phone, “I left Stephen and now I’m all alone and I just don’t want to be.”

“Where are you?”

“By the time chart.”

“Stay there.” She hung up quickly and I sank down along the barricade that surrounded the inflatable chart. “Abby!” I heard her voice shouting but I couldn’t stand up. “Abby where are you?”

“Jen, I’m here.” I said as I saw her in front of me. “ Where’s everyone else?”

“Finishing the set we were just at. What’s wrong? I thought you and Stephen were having a great time together?”

“We were until he tried to kiss me.”

“He tried to kiss you? That’s great.” I shot her a look of death, “Why isn’t that great?”

“He isn’t going to be here tomorrow. You know I don’t want a long distance boyfriend.”

“This isn’t about a long distance boyfriend this is about you making a connection with someone and them having a connection with you and you running away.”

“It was a perfect day, why do we need to complicate it?”
“You don’t need to, but I thought maybe you would like to. I don’t know I just thought maybe you guys were going to be friends or something, you don’t normally tell me to stay lost.”

“He doesn’t want to be my friend. He wants to kiss me.”

“Do you not want to kiss him?”

“I do, but I’m not going to because that would be stupid. Why would I want to kiss someone who isn’t going to be there tomorrow?”

“Because sometimes you have to. Do you want to leave?”

“No I, we wanted to watch we the kings so we should.” She gave me a hug then helped me up. “Anyways John told me not to leave yet.”