Status: Active.

So Long to Realize It Was Always You

Five.

Seeing Patrick's goal enter the night made me cringe. I couldn't believe that after all of this it was over. Scott had worked so hard and trained like an animal and now his dream of the Stanly Cup was gone. It had been taken away from him so fast. I was so sad because I knew how much this meant for him
.
There was one thing that I knew about what Scott was thinking. I didn't mean to sound conceited, but Scott is easy to read. I knew that Scott was going to be worried if I still wanted to be with him. If that was what he was thinking then he was just insane, there was no way I would ever leave him. Not in a million years would I break up with him. I mean nothing could make me leave him, so clearly a Stanley cup loss wouldn't change how I felt.

"Scott," I said as he walked through the door.

"Hi," He said with a sigh of defeat.

"Hey don't be down with me." I said.

"Kind of hard not to be, anyway I'll meet you at your place." He said.

"I don't wait for you?" I asked.

"No, I think you should go to your place and I'll meet you there." He said.

"All right, how long will you be?" I asked.

"An hour tops." He said.

"Okay, I'll see you at home." I said.

I leaned in and pecked his lips.

From the look on his face he seemed shocked that I kissed him at all.

On the ride I took home I felt sad and alone. I really wanted Scott beside me and I wished that I had waited for him. Ever since he came back into my life, I felt whole again. I always was missing something before, even when I dated other guys there was always this lack of connection. I never knew what it was until I realized that he was the Scott from my childhood. Truth be told, I never stopped thinking about him. I never stopped thinking about how much I hurt him and how much it must have killed him inside that I rejected him. It really was because of my friends, they all thought Scott was a loser. He wasn't and he never will be. I thought Scott was super cute and amazing, from the moment we laid eyes on each other, I had a thing for him. I had honestly wished that I didn't reject him because he didn't deserve it.

I couldn't believe that he still wanted me even after I did what I did to him. After all these years he still wanted me and that he stilled loved me. I never thought that I'd see Scott of all people enter my life the way he did. I won't complain because it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Scott is honestly a man that was irreplaceable.

"Hey, I'm back." He called from the door.

"In the bedroom," I said.

He walked in with his head hung low and I felt so sorry for him.

"Come here," I said.

"What for?" He asked harshly.

I felt a sudden hint of anger arise in me. I wasn't sure why, it just really made me worry.

"Scott what's wrong with you?" I asked.

"Well maybe I just lost the Stanley Cup." He said.

"I know you lost the cup, I was there." I said.

"Stop reminding me." He said.

"Would you have rather me stayed home?" I asked.

"Yea," He said bluntly.

I felt a pain in my heart and tears were suddenly rushing to my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" He asked.

"Scott you just told your girlfriend that they should have stayed home on the most important game of your life." I said.

"Well I made a fool of myself in front of you. I wasn't focused, I totally played like it was my first year there, and I was terrible. I didn't want you to have to witness me play that horribly." He said.

His head hung low and I felt so bad for him. He looked genuinely sad and like he had disappointed me.

"Babe, I witnessed greatness out there." I said.

"No you didn't. Don't lie to me." He spat.

"I'm not lying to you, I mean it. Watching you play was one of the best feelings I've ever had." I said

"How?"

"Because Scott it was an honor to say that it was my boyfriend scored a goal in the cup finals. I love you." I said

"Even though I totally blew it overtime and came home with nothing." he said.

"The Stanley Cup doesn't mean a thing to me if I don't have you. Well I wouldn't say you came home with nothing. How about a little post game relaxation?"

"Wait a minute. You don't care that I didn't win?" he asked.

"No of course I don't, sure it would have been nice but it changes nothing." I said.

"Not even our relationship?" he asked.

He looked so worried.

"Babe something like that could never tear us apart. You're mine and a loss doesn't make you anymore or any less worthy. I would never leave you because of this." I said

He suddenly had a smile on his face and I couldn't deny that I was really happy.

I moved more closely to him and he seemed pretty stunned, did he listen to I word I had just told him?

"Scott, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm just trying to cope with the loss." He said.

"I'm here to help you get through it, I'll listen to anything you have to say." I said.

I really hoped that I would be able to make him feel better.

“I just had the most perfect plan that I could ever conceive, but we lost the cup so I now feel that the plan isn’t so perfect anymore.” He said.

“Oh, can you tell me about the plan?” I asked.

I wasn’t sure how to respond to what he had said, so I figured the question would open the field a little.

His eyes shifted a little to the left and to the right.

“I could, but I am not going to.” He said.

“Oh,” I said sadly.

“I’m not going to tell you now, I’m going to tell you tonight.” He said.

“Tonight? Babe it’s pretty late,” I said.

“I know, but I know this really great place, it’s quiet and I’m friends with the owner, he’ll hook us up.” He said.

I was pretty excited to be honest.

“Do I dress up or down?” I asked.

“I say dress up,” He said.

I kissed his lips and he kissed back.

“Baby,” I moaned softly.

“I’m going to leave baby, and I’ll be back here in twenty minutes.” He said.

“I need more time than twenty minutes to look beautiful for you baby,” I said.

“Caitlin you’re beautiful no matter what you wear. I love you,” he said.

I loved when he said he loved me, it made me feel so amazing inside.

I raided my closet and I found the perfect outfit. It was a beautiful black dress with these beige flowers. I paired it with my favorite pair of orange sandals. I even paired it with an orange ring and bangle and I took my black purse along with me. I truly hoped that Scott would like how I looked. I was also worried that maybe I wasn’t dressed up enough.

“Baby! I’m here,”

I quickly went down the stairs and I looked toward Scott. He seemed to have a giant smile on his face and he looked very nice in his shirt and tie. We linked arms and he walked me over to the car.

I couldn’t deny the fact that I was just super nervous about what was going to go down. Who knew what Scott had in mind? I had a few thoughts, but I didn’t think that they could possibly be true at all.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“It’s this great little restaurant, it’s pretty quiet but the food is just fantastic.” He said.

I smiled widely and he did too. I loved when Scott took me on these little escapades. They meant so much because I knew that Scott had put a lot of thought and effort into what was to come. I also loved surprises; I thought that they added life and a little excitement to our relationship.

“I’m excited, but why have me dress up?” I asked.

“You’ll understand why a little later tonight.” He said.

I smiled and kissed his cheek.

We got in and we were brought over to this really cute area of the restaurant. There was another couple there and it was so romantic. I loved the vibe this place was giving me. It seemed just so perfect with the people that Scott and I were.

He and I both ordered different things so we could taste the wonderful array of food this restaurant had to offer.

Scott and I were simply having the most amazing time ever. Everything was going just perfectly. I knew that Scott was the guys for me and I didn’t want to be with anyone else ever.

“Caitlin I’ve been doing some thinking,” Scott said suddenly.

“Oh about what?” I asked.

“About the relationship that you and I have. I can’t keep calling you my girlfriend; I just can’t do it anymore.” He said.

My heart dropped, what was he talking about? I didn’t understand where this was suddenly coming from. I thought that he loved me like I loved him.

“You don’t want to call me your girlfriend anymore?” I asked.

He slowly pushed his chair back and I didn’t know what was happening.

“No I don’t.” He said

I looked down and noticed he was on one knee. I felt the tears well up in my eyes. I couldn’t believe that this was happening. Was he actually doing what I thought he was doing?

“I want to call you my wife when people ask me who you are. I love you, always have and always will. Will you marry me?” He asked.

I didn’t know what to say. I was shocked and speechless. He was looking at me with pleading eyes and he had a smile on his face. I couldn’t help but smile along with him.

This was just totally unexpected. Scott and I had never really gotten around to the topic of marriage, so this was just a shock.

“Yes,” I said.

His smile grew and he gently placed the ring on my finger. It was official Scott was the man I was spending the rest of my life with. I had never been so happy before.

When he placed the engagement ring onto my finger my heart nearly stopped. It was similar to the Ring that Tom Cruise gave to Katie Holmes and I loved it. Every time I saw the ring, I told Scott if we got married I wanted that ring and no other. I didn’t think he actually remembered or that he’d buy it for me. Hell, I didn’t even think he was going to propose to me.

“I can’t believe it,” I said.

“I’m glad I could make this moment so special,” he said.

“You really did Scott,” I said.

He kissed my lips softly.

“I love you,” He said.

“I love you too,” I said.

He kissed me again and I knew that this was just perfect. I knew Scott and I would be together for good.