Status: Complete

Past Lives

4o

Craig walked into the kitchen and my heart swelled. I had never been so happy to see anyone in my entire life. I threw my arms around him as he pulled me close. I never wanted to leave his arms. It was safe there. I might be able to break Trevor's nose, but that didn't mean I could keep him from attacking me or raping me...or worse.

"Jamie, why didn't you call me?" Craig asked quietly in my ear. I knew he was worried.

"I...I don't know," I replied shakily. "You had practice and-"

"And you're more important." He pulled away from me and shook his head. "Jamie, please let me help you with this. I know you're strong and I know you're capable, but there's just some things you shouldn't have to handle on your own." He kissed my hand. "Promise me you'll let me keep you safe. I do sort of care about you."

I smiled and stood on my tip-toes to kiss him softly. Craig was easily the most amazing man I had ever met. He returned my kiss and I turned around when i heard Ads say, "Hey, Jamie?"

"What's up?" I didn't want to think about the black car sitting across the street. I didn't want to think about the man sitting inside it. I didn't want to think about how he was easily capable of-

"Are you gonna be ok?" I knew she was concerned. Turning to look at Craig, I nodded.

Brooks smiled as he wrapped his arms around Ads. "You're in good hands, Jamie. Craig won't let that piece of shit anywhere near the house. He'll keep you safe. You picked a good man."

Smiling, I walked over and hugged Brooks. "Thank you so much, Brooks." I smiled. "He's amazing."

"You deserved it."

Craig appeared behind me, his arms wrapping around my waist. "Seriously, Brooks. Thanks for thinking of me, man."

In an attempt to get back at me, Ads pretended to barf. I rolled my eyes. "Thanks a lot, Ads."

She laughed. "No problem."

Brooks and Ads headed back to their house and I peered out the door to see the car still there. Craig pulled me away from the front of the house and we curled up on the couch to watch Disney movies instead. "It'll keep your mind off it," Craig had said.

As I snuggled into his arms, Craig leaned his head down and kissed me. I returned his kiss and before I knew it, the kiss was on fire. We made out for a little before I felt Craig playing with the hem of my shirt. I raised my arms, but Craig pulled away and looked at me. "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Definite-"

I flew off the couch in fear as I heard a crash resound from the front porch. Craig jumped in front of me and shook his head. "You stay here."

"But-"

"Please, Jamie," he pleaded. I nodded and sat down slowly on the couch to appease him. I heard the door open and I felt my stomach bottom out. I was so scared that Trevor had a gun or something. I definitely wouldn't put it past him. The door closed and Craig came back a few moments later, holding a brick with a note.

He shook his head. "This is taking the place of your giant leafy thing." He held out a brick wrapped with a note. I took it with trembling hands and untied the note before unfolding it and reading.

Jamie,

I don't want to have to wait forever. You broke my heart. I feel you owe me something to make up for the pain. If that prick doesn't leave your house soon, i will track you down. He has to leave eventually, Jamie, and when he does, I'll be there. All I want is some closure...and a little fun. Put two and two together, Jamie. You always were the smart one. I always get what I want, just remember that. No matter what, I get what I want. What I want is you.

Don't make me wait much longer, Jamie. My patience won't hang on that long. Who knows what any more separation could lead me to?

Think about it.

Trevor


I didn't realize that tears were streaming down my face. Craig had been reading over my shoulder and I felt him tense behind me. "Jamie, we have to call the police. He can't get away with this!"

Shaking my head, I said, "I...I'm too scared to." I really truly was. I was afraid of what Trevor was capable of. He wasn't useless. He wasn't a moron. Trevor could get a lot of people hurt. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Craig shook his head. "I'm not worried about me." He put a hand on either side of my face and said, "As corny as this is going to sound, I'm only worried about what I'm looking at right now." His eyes never left my face.

I buried my head in his chest and cried. He rubbed my back. "Jamie...baby..." Craig kissed the top of my head and said, "I won't let him get you. I promise you." He kissed me once again as I continued to cry. "I promise."

I only wished he could keep that promise.