Status: Complete

Past Lives

56

I stormed out of the hotel and took in where I was. I didn't know DC very well, but I didn't care. I didn't have huge standards when I just wanted to get trashed. As long as I wasn't in a high-rape environment, I was happy.

As I stomped down the street, my brain buzzed. I understood that Craig was in a bad mood, but he didn't have to be a total dick. I just wanted to help. Well, whatever. Booze and music were all I needed.

Looking around, I spotted a promising looking haunt. It seemed pretty busy, something that made me a little more comfortable. As I walked in, I spotted all the drunken Caps fans. I was glad I had taken Craig's jersey off. I would have fought them, but I didn't feel like dealing with it tonight.

I walked up to the bar and felt hands on my hips. "Hey, Sugar. Want to have some fun?" I spun around to see a very drunk man in a Laich jersey grinning at me.

Stamping on his foot, I glared at him. "The only men I want to have fun with are Jim, Jack and Jose. Get your slimy paws off me."

He jumped back, hopping on his good foot. "Bitch."

As he walked away, I found myself a spot at the bar and ordered a few shots of Jack. I wasn't in the mood to deal with idiots. I just really wanted to drink. There was something liberating about being trashed...but I didn't really know what it was.

The longer I sat at the bar, the more guys tried to get lucky. When one in an Ovechkin jersey tried to cop a feel, I grabbed his shirt. I was pretty trashed at that point.

"Listen, caveman," I growled, "I'm from Pittsburgh. I'm a Penguins fan. I'm a PENGUINS GIRLFRIEND. If you think I'm going to touch your disease ridden hockey stick, you've got another thing coming."

Ovi-Fan backed off and the Caps fans left me alone. Actually, most guys left me alone after that. I downed another shot and felt myself wobble a little. I had lost track of how many shots I had. A lot had been bought by guys in the bar. All I knew was I was going to hate myself in the morning.

Not too long after, I felt hands on my shoulders. "I SWEAR TO GOD, IF ONE MORE DRUNK HORNBALL TRIES TO PICK ME UP-"

"Jamie, shut up."

I turned around and suddenly tensed. This was the last person I wanted to see while I was drunk. Bad things happened while I was drunk. Very bad things happened when I was drunk. To see this man standing in front of my while I was plastered...

Shaking my head, I asked, "What are you doing here, Scuds?"

He sat next to me and said, "I could ask the same for you. No off-ice training tonight? Where's Prince Charming?" I just glared at him. He smirked. He knew. "I heard about the fight, Jamie. Listen, I never would have made you cry. I never would have taken a loss out on you."

I ignored him and downed a shot. He held my wrist to keep me from drinking anymore. "I think you've had enough. He's not worth alcohol poisoning."

Shaking my head, I said, "You just don't understand. You can't understand."

Scuds shook his head. "Then make me understand."

I burst into tears. "I love him. I'm in love with him."

I thought Scuds was going to break the shot glass on the bar. "WHY, Jamie? Why are you so in love with him, but you could never love ME?"

"You weren't my type."

"You have to be kidding me."

"Nope."

"What the hell, Jamie? I don't know how you thought me being in love with you was some huge secret. What other secrets are you hiding?"

I wobbled a little on the bar stool. "Ads is moving to Boston! I can't handle not having her around! We've never lived in a different city for as long as we've known each other! And now Craig is mad at me and..."

Before Scuds could hug me, I felt strong arms pick me up from the bar stool. Looking up, I giggled. "Maaaax. You need to shaaaave."

Max rolled his eyes. "Jamie, how much did you drink?"

Still giggling, I responded, "I dunnoooooo. A lot?"

"I can tell." Max threw money down on the bar and turned towards the door.

"I wasn't done talking to her, Max!" Scuds ran behind him.

"Yes, you are."

Max carried me all the way back to the hotel. "Do you want me to take you to your room?"

"No!" I shook my head wildly. "Ads and Brooks are probably-"

"Good point." Max smiled. "You can stay with me. I won't pull anything."

I nodded and didn't remember anything after that.

--

The next morning, I woke up and blearily rubbed my eyes. I was laying on a bed by myself. Max had been good to his word. At least...I thought it was Max who brought me back.

I checked the phone I had left on silent in my purse all night. There were 24 new texts and seven missed calls.

Jamie, please, I'm so sorry.

Come back to the hotel. Please.

Jamie, I'm really worried about you. Where are you?

I didn't mean to take the loss out on you. Please come back so we can talk.


Those were just from the last two hours.

I looked at the clock. It was about 9:30. I felt terrible and I could only imagine how I looked. As I climbed out of the bed, a loud banging came from the door.

"MAX! OPEN UP, MAX!"

It was Craig.

I wanted to see him. I wanted to tell him how I felt. I was finally ready to tell him I loved him. But something told me that would only make things worse. Instead, I sat on the bed and didn't move. Maybe he'd go away.

It worked.

As soon as I was sure he was gone, I opened the door and raced back to my room. I needed to see Ads. I didn't know what to do.

Pounding on the door, I heard Ads scream, "CRAIG! SHE ISN'T HERE!" as she opened the door. "I told you I'd call when she-"

I waved.

"...came...back." Ads pulled me into a hug. "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?"

I sighed as I walked into the room. "I went and got trashed. Scuds appeared. I don't know what I said. Max...I think it was Max? It might have been Gods. Whoever it was, they were hairy. Regardless, somebody came and saved me. I woke up in Max's room."

"PLEASE tell me you didn't-"

"I know I didn't."

Ads nodded. "Ok...You know I promised to call Craig, right?"

"Why does he care?"

She sat on the bed and sighed. "You need to talk to him. Just trust me. Please." I could tell she knew something, but she wasn't going to tell me. Before I could respond, there was pounding on the door.

"ADS! OPEN THE DOOR!"

She turned to look at me. "This has been going on all morning." She opened the door and Craig burst in.

"I can't find her anywhere! I don't know what to do! What if she's dead? What if someone kidnapped her? What if-"

"She's sitting right behind you?"

Craig spun around and pulled me into his arms. "Jamie!" He buried his face in my neck. "I was so worried about you. You weren't answering your phone and no one knew where you were and..."

I heard the door close softly as Ads snuck out. Craig kissed me and held me tightly. He wasn't letting me go. I snuggled my head into his chest and let him hold me. I didn't want to lose him.

"Jamie..." He pulled back slightly to look at me. "I need to tell you something."

I looked at him curiously. "What is it?"

He held my face with one hand and my lower back with the other. There was a sparkle in his eye that I couldn't place. He kissed me softly before saying, "Jamie...last night...when you ran away...I was so scared. I didn't know where you were. I didn't know what to do. I...I realized something last night?"

I felt butterflies partying in my stomach. "Yes?"

He smiled and said, "Jamie...I'm in love with you."

My heart exploded and I kissed him full on before beaming at him. "I love you, too."

I really hoped Ads didn't come back any time soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
SCUDS KNOWS! dun dun dun!!

What do you think is gonna happen? :)