Status: Complete

Past Lives

59

After dinner with Jamie and Craig, Brooks and I decided to take a walk down Carson. As we walked arm in arm, I placed my head on his shoulder.

“Are you sure you are okay with my mom coming down for a few weeks?”

He kissed my forehead. “Yes Ads. There is no better time to visit Pittsburgh like the Stanley Cup finals.”

I laughed. “Okay just making sure cause she has always been a fan of yours.”

“Even during ‘the dark period’?”

I nodded. “Well except when she first found out, she was ready to hunt you down with that steak knife in her hand.”

I felt him wince. “A bit too much information Ads, but good. Nice to know someone has always been rooting for me.”

--

The next day, when Brooks was at practice, I sat down and dialed my mom’s number.

“Hello?”

I smiled. “Hey mama.”

“Adisyn. It is so good to hear your voice.”

I laughed. “You only saw me over a month ago mama.”

“What can I say? I am spoiled. So what do I owe the pleasure of this phone call?”

“Well Brooks and I wanted to know if you wanted to come down to Pittsburgh and go to the finals with me and Jamie.”

I had to hold the phone away from my ear as she started to scream. “You want me down there? Oh my god. I gotta start packing and find someone to keep watch over my roses and..”

I laughed. “Mama calm down. According to my super wonderful boyfriend, everything is set up and you are flying out here tomorrow morning.”

“What do you mean ‘taken care of’.”

I shrugged even if I knew she couldn’t see me. “I guess you will have to ask him when you see him.”

After we talked for a few more minutes about flight times and arrangements, we hung up and I sat back on the couch and looked around the house.

Holy shit. My mom is coming tomorrow. This house is a disaster.

I jumped off the couch and started to straighten up the house.

By the time Brooks got back after practice, I was on my knees scrubbing the kitchen floor.
“Babe what are you doing?” He asked laughing.

I stopped and turned to look at him. “You expect my mama to come stay in this house looking messy? I don’t think so. Mama didn’t raise no fool.”

Brooks rolled his eyes and continued to laugh. “Babe, she won’t criticize our house if it isn’t spotless. She will just be happy to see you.”

I sighed and sat back on my heels. “I guess you are right. I just want everything to be…”

“Perfect?” Brooks asked as he helped me off the floor. “Babe, everything will be I promise.”

I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a kiss. “Okay, I believe you. But I do need you to do one thing for me before she comes.”

“What’s that?”

“You definitely need to clean that basement. I don’t know what you boys have been doing down there. But it smells like molded cheese.”

He laughed and kissed my forehead. “Anything you want love.”

--

“Shit. Where is she? Her flight landed twenty minutes ago!”

Jamie rolled her eyes. “Ads, calm the fuck down. Her bags haven’t even come on the claim yet. Maybe she is taking her time getting down here.”

“Or I could just be behind you guys.”

I turned around to see my mom walking up to us from the elevators. I ran up to her and gave her a hug.

“Welcome to Pittsburgh mama.”