Status: Complete

Past Lives

Epilogue

Christmas, 2011

The snow fell softly as I climbed out of Craig's car outside Mario's house. Mario had invited everyone to the house for the annual Christmas party after the skating party at the arena. I waved to Vero as she walked inside with Marc and Craig laced his fingers and mine. He kissed the top of my head. "Can you believe it's been two and a half years, Jamie?"

I shook my head. I really couldn't believe it. It felt as thought I had just met him and now here we were, two and a half years later, happier than ever. I just looked up and smiled. "It's crazy. I'm so glad Chicago put you on waivers."

He laughed and pulled me closer. "Me too, Jame. Me too."

"BROOKS ORPIK!" We turned around and laughed as a pregnant Ads scooped up a snowball of her own and threw it at Brooks' head for revenge. Snow was sticking to her hair and Craig and I continued to laugh. They were adorable.

Ads was six months pregnant with her first. Brooks couldn't wait to be a dad. Actually, I thought I had seen him in baby stores on his own more than Ads. It was ridiculously adorable. We couldn't wait to find out what she was having. Ads and Craig wanted a girl. Brooks and I wanted a boy. To keep the gloating to a minimum, they decided to keep it a surprise.

We all walked inside together and joined the party. Nathalie had gone all out. We sat down to dinner and discussed everything. Ads' and Christi Rupp discussed their pregnancies. Mike had just found out a few weeks before that he was going to have another one. He'd been all smiles ever since.

After an amazing dinner, we all moved to the living room to hang out around the tree with the lights and light music. Mario and Nathalie pulled out baskets from under the tree and passed around small presents for everyone, wives and girlfriends included. We all opened the presents and thanked Mario and Nathalie for our various gifts. Everyone was given a beautiful Christmas ornament, and candied nuts made by Nathalie. We saw Mario look behind the large tree. "What's this?" He pulled out a large box wrapped in green paper. "I guess I missed one."

Max rolled his eyes. "Oh sure. Naturally Sid gets the biggest one," Max complained sarcastically.

We all laughed and I gasped as Mario set the box down in front of me. "Actually, I think Santa brought it to the wrong house. This one's for Jamie."

Mario went back to cuddle with Nathalie and I shook my head. "Who...but..."

"Just open it, Jamie!" Jordan called. Everyone cheered me on as I ripped the paper. Opening the large box revealed -

"Another box." I opened a little card on the new box. It was a Christmas card with a pretty star. "I love you more than anything." I pulled the paper off this box and pulled out yet another box. "Oh this is just cruel!"

The guys all laughed and I opened the next box to another box. This happened twice more before i found the smallest box. Before I could open this one, I felt a tapping on my shoulder. I turned around to see Craig on his knee. He took the small box from me as I felt tears spring to my eyes. The girlfriends were "aww"ing already .

"Jamie," Craig said, a smile plastered on his face. I was smiling, too. I wanted him to spit it out so I could say yes and jump on him. "I love you. I've loved you for almost two and a half years. I knew from that night in Diesel that there was something special about you. Now I know that I was right. You're amazing, Jamie, and I love you more than anything." He opened the box and I covered my mouth as I gasped at the simple but gorgeous ring. "Jamie, please tell me you'll marry me."

I nodded. "Yes!" Everyone applauded while Craig kissed me and slid the ring on my finger. He pulled me into his arms and I whispered "I love you" in his ear.

--

"I SWEAR TO GOD I AM GOING TO KILL YOU, BROOKS!"

I shook my head as Ads was wheeled into the hospital as she went into labor. I knew this was going to happen and I couldn't stop laughing. Brooks looked at me and said, "Why am I under fire?!"

I just laughed. "Because this is all your fault, Brooksy-boy. You didn't wrap it!"

He shoved me and followed the crowd that surrounded his wife. I went to sit next to Craig in the waiting room. He put his arm around me and kissed the top of my head. "One day," he said with a smile, "that'll be us."

All I could do was look up and kiss him. "I can't be held responsible for anything I say to you when it is."

He laughed. "I know, love." I rested my head on his shoulder and we snuggled the best we could, waiting for Ads to pop. We still didn't know what she was having. All I knew was that was going to be the single most spoiled baby on the face of the planet. WIth 22 uncles at any one time...oh yeah.

Before I knew it, I was dreaming of what Craig had said and the baby we could have.

--

"Jamie? Craig?" We looked up as our names were called and stood up. The other guys all glared.

"What? Why can't we come?" Max was annoyed.

"I want to see my niece!" Sid exclaimed.

The nurse laughed. "They were the two requested first. You'll all get your turn, I promise."

Craig and I walked back to see Ads lying in bed and Brooks white as a sheet. Craig laughed. "What, man? Can't handle it?"

Brooks gulped. "Listen dude, when you see a head coming out of your wife's --"

"Ok, Brooks, he gets it," Ads chastised. She and I laughed hysterically.

I finally smiled and gave her a hug. "Well?"

Before she could say anything, the nurse walked in with a little pink bundle. "Everyone," she said with a smiled as she handed the baby to Ads, "meet Olivia Jean."

Brooks went to stand with his family and the nurse went to find Olivia's uncles. As Brooks and Ads cooed over their baby, Craig stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. "One day, baby, that'll be us."

I couldn't wait for that one day.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's a wrap, everyone. We've had so much fun writing this story and we're so glad you all enjoyed it. Your responses were overwhelmingly positive and you made us want to write. Thanks so much for all of your support!

<3

Up next: The Bookworm and the Beast