Status: Complete

Past Lives

9

I woke up the next morning wanting to punch myself in the face. All I had done by not warning Ads that Brooks played here was hurt her. She was angry with me, she was angry with Brooks...hell, I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to move.

But I wouldn't let her.

She couldn't let Brooks change the way she lived her life. I wasn't going to let her give up all she had worked for because of some ass. She deserved to be happy and happy was what she was going to be.

Slowly, I climbed out of bed, scared that a hangover was going to sneak up on me. Fortunately, the Bud Light hadn't done much of anything to me. I went to the bathroom and washed my face, trying to think of ways to fix this. There had to be a way.

I would find one.

Two weeks later

Two weeks had passed and I was still feeling the after-effects of Ads' rage. She wasn't openly hostile, but just the way she occasionally snap or take a dig at me...I knew I deserved it, so I said nothing.

I came home from shopping one day to see Ads chopping vegetables. "Ooo. What's the special occasion?" I picked up a piece of cauliflower and popped it into my mouth.

Ads smiled. "I have a date coming over tonight."

I eyed her up. "Oh?" Smiling, I added, "Who is it?"

Ads started a skillet. "His name's Max." She threw some vegetables in and stirred them around. "I met him down in South Side and he was really sweet. He's coming over for dinner. I want you to meet him."

I nodded. "Awesome!' I looked down at my jeans and thermal. "Should I change?" Ads was wearing a pretty dark blue dress. She looked at me for a second before shaking her head. "You don't have to."

"Awesome." I grabbed my bags and walked upstairs. I called back down, "What time's he coming?"

"Eight!"

I had ten minutes.

--

I heard knocking and decided to wait until I was summoned. I didn't want to interrupt anything. I didn't have to wait long. "Jaime! Comer here!"

As I headed to the living room, I felt like I recognized the voice but wasn't sure. Whatever. I walked into the room.

"Max, this is Jamie. Jamie this is-"

Max Talbot.

I giggled nervously. Shaking his hand, I said, "Hi...Max..." Of all the men Ads could have run into, she just had to pick a Pittsburgh Penguin.

I looked at Ads. I needed to tell her...

Later. I'd tell her after dinner.

After Max, Ads and I talked for a bit, I went upstairs to give them some privacy. I flopped on my bed and grabbed a Cosmo. I needed something mindless to do. I read about sex positions. That didn't help. I flipped to the style stuff. A little better.

I hoped all was going well downstairs. About an hour and a half later, Ads came upstairs and flopped on my bed. She was smiling ear to ear. "Jamie...he's amazing."

I put the Cosmo away and hugged her. "I'm so glad." I said, "What's he do?"

Ads shrugged. "That was one thing I forgot to ask." She tilted her head. "Why?"

I needed to tell her. If I knew and didn't warn her, she'd boot me out this time for sure. I bit my lip. "Well..." I sighed. "Ads, I know who he is."

Ads tilted her head. "Why?" She looked scared then. "Jamie...how do you know?"

I shook my head. "Max Talbot, right?"

She nodded. I stood up and crossed my room. Grabbing my iceTime from the Bruins game, I went back to my bed and sat down. "You need to start asking, Ads." I flipped through the program and held out the roster page, pointing to Max. "He's a Pittsburgh Penguin, Ads. He plays with Brooks. Number 25, center."

Ads looked like she was going to vomit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments - good or bad - are deeply appreciated.