Status: completed!

Remember the Old Days?

The Reason Why

“I was scared that I would never get out of this town. It holds you back, ya know? I was afraid if I told y’all I was leaving, y’all would convince me to stay and I would never have left. I’m not good with goodbyes. I just need to get away. This place holds nothing for me but pain,” Taylor stopped her rambling and looked out at the street.

“This place holds the girls,” Charlie said, getting mad.

“I know. But I guess I hoped they would understand if I left.” Taylor refused to look at him. “It’s selfish, I know.”

“What about me?” Charlie’s voice rose. “Don’t you think I deserved a goodbye? After all we’ve been through?”

“I’m sorry, Charlie. I really am.” Taylor shook her head trying to hold back the tears. “I knew saying goodbye to you was going to be the hardest thing I ever had to do. I couldn’t take it. You deserve better than me. Better than a long distance relationship.” Taylor turned around to look at him. Charlie lost his urge to yell and his face softens as he saw a tear slip down Taylor’s freckled cheek.

“You’re wrong. Never once, did I ever thing I deserved better than you. I always thought you deserved better than me. I would have kept the relationship coming. I would have put up with the long distance because I loved you.” Charlie wiped around the tear with his thumb, looking Taylor in the eyes.

Taylor’s heart broke when he said loved. That means he doesn’t love me anymore was her first thought. She moved her face from his hand and walked away. Charlie just watched her walk away, remembering when that girl was his.

“You coming?” Taylor shouted. “I wanted a walk.”

Charlie laughed and ran to meet up with his once love. Taylor linked arms with him, acting like the conversation they had never happened.

“Still haven’t heard from your sister?” Charlie asked Taylor. Taylor’s sister ran away a year before Taylor left. Her sister got in a huge fight with her parents and they threaten to kick her out. After that, her sister ran out of the house and never came back.

“Nah,” Taylor replied. “Even if she ever came back, I don’t think I would talk to her again. She said some awful things to my parents.” Taylor was looking down at her shoes.

“What about your brother?”

“He calls a few times every week. He got married not to long ago. They’re excepting a third child.”

“Tell him congrats for me.” Taylor’s brother was a good ten years older than her but he loves his little sister with all his heart. He left to move to England for his job and brought along his girlfriend that he got pregnant back in high school. To say Taylor’s family was dysfunctional was an understatement.

“Will do,” she said in a whisper voice.

They walked in silence for what seemed forever. Their arms were still linked. It seemed like it was a day ago that they had been in walking down this very road. Taylor and Charlie always walked around at night and told each other what was on their minds. But tonight, they felt like they didn’t know each other anymore to say anything.

“Oh my gosh! Where have you guys been?” Amber yelled as she ran over to Taylor and Charlie. They just got through the gate when she wrapped her arms around each of their shoulders.

“We went for a walk,” Charlie said, shrugging. “No need to get all crazy over.”

“I’m not crazy. I was just worried about you guys.” Amber faked hurt. “So did y’all talk?”

All the girls’ ears perked up to hear the answer. They secretly wanted Taylor and Charlie to be back together. They knew how he was right after she left. He was a mess. A mess that only Taylor could pick up.

“Yeah, we did,” Taylor said, smiling. “We talked about my siblings.” Taylor’s signature smirk appeared on her face, knowing that she wasn’t going to give anything else away.
All the girls ‘faces fell, even though they were happy that the two were talking.

“Well we’re having a sleep over. No boys allowed,” Jackie stated looking at Charlie when she said no boys allowed. “Taylor, you going to stay?” They were all hoping to get something out of her that night.

“Nah, I got to unpack but some other time,” Taylor said. “We’re going to the mall tomorrow right?”

“Yeah, meet us there at ten,” Tricia said, smiling at both Taylor and Charlie.

They both nodded, walking to their cars. Everyone was leaving now except for Amber, Jackie, Anna and Tricia. Taylor watched as the parents made their way to the cars, the younger siblings following them.

“Well, I guess I better go home,” Taylor said. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Char Char.”

Charlie smiled at her using the old nickname she made for him. “See ya, Tay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
just to let y'all know all my main characters who are girls are going to be red heads. why you may ask? because i'm a red head and we are the best. comments make me happy. enjoy. :)