Status: Active

The Undead Mockingjay

Chapter 11.

Chapter 11.

Sirius’s hand starts to shake badly. Blood begins to drip down from where Sirius’s sword is piercing my fathers neck. My father takes a small step forward. Sirius takes a step back, so his sword doesn’t cut deeper into my fathers neck. Sirius has a horrified expression on his face. Snow laughs, with a delightful expression, on his face. Sirius turns his gaze to Snow, before pure, white light explodes from his eyes. I gasp, and shield my eyes with my hand. The Peacekeepers are panicking, firing at each other trying to shoot Sirius. I squint my eyes and see Sirius dashing from Peacekeepers, slaughtering them. A Peacekeeper staggers over and spots me. His first shot goes wild, since he’s still blinded by light. His second shot sends a searing pain through my thigh. I throw myself to the side, baring my teeth in a snarl. I load my bow and cover my head, in panic as dirt shoots up, from his third shot. As he reloads as fast as he can, I aim from the ground and fire, praying it doesn’t miss. He stumbles back, drops his gun, as he grabs at the arrow, protruding from his chest. Blood pours out of his mouth as he sinks to the ground. There is only three people standing now. Sirius, Snow, and my father. I seize my backpack and open it, and pull out the medical supplies. I tear the fabric where I was shot. The bullet hasn’t entered my leg, but has torn the flesh on the side of it. I bite my leather vest, to keep from crying out. I clean it with the medical supplies and bandage it as best as I can. I throw everything back into the pack, and slowly get to my feet. I hop/stagger over to the three remaining people. Sirius has his sword pointed to the ground and is glaring at Snow. The bright light from his eyes has now reduced to a glowing silver.

“My boy, I meant no-” Snow is cut off as Sirius closes the distance between them, in a matter of seconds, and backslaps him across the face.

“Spare me your pathetic excuses,” Sirius snarls.

“Please, my son,” my father starts, raising his hands in a ‘I give up’ gesture. “Don’t do anything drastic.”

Sirius looks at him with a curious gaze, when Snow’s hand, darts to his watch. He clicks it and a barrier springs between him, my father, and Sirius. Sirius studies the Barrier. I load my bow and fire at face level at Snow. The arrow hit’s the Barrier with a hallow sound. Snow laughs and clicks it again. A hovercraft soars over them, and drops two ladders. They each take hold of one and the hovercraft begins to ascend. Sirius and I watch as the hovercraft carries away our father, and the man I hate most in the world.

“We have to leave,” Sirius mutters. His eyes are back to his normal storm grey. I nod and follow him, limping. I’m falling behind, but am too scared to ask for assistance. Sirius seems to notice, I’m falling behind and turns to me. He takes one look at my leg and sweeps me up into his arms. He starts to move faster, it’s getting dark. He’s now at a full sprint, the world speeding by. An hour passes, and the moon is brightly shining, in the night sky. We are by wheat fields, Higher then even Sirius. I’m reminded of Thresh, camping out in these fields, in my first Games. The area has a deadly aura around this place. I hear a frightened shriek, about a quarter of a mile away. Sirius looks towards the sound, frowning.

“Get in the field,” Sirius murmurs, still looking at the sound. He sets me down, near the field and I hop quickly into it. Sirius melts into the field, still staring at the sound. He makes a satisfied sound when he sees Titus crash through the trees, bristling with weapons. Sirius is still peaking through the field, at Titus, when Titus raises his head, sniffing the air. Sirius backs up, back into the field, to me.

“Let’s go,” he says quietly, pushing me farther into the field. I limp farther in, as fast as possible on a wounded leg. My bandage is soaked through with blood now. After traveling for about half an hour, the wheat begins to lessen. It looks like someone as been cutting them down, making a clearing. He sets me down on the ground and starts to undo my bandage. I cry out in pain, as the wound is exposed to the cold air. Sirius’s face is expressionless as he takes out supplies and starts to clean my wound, thoroughly. He starts to sow the wound, as precise as he can, in the dark. He stops and makes a frustrated sound, glancing around.

“I have to start a fire, I can’t see. Besides, you’ll freeze to death if I don’t,” he says, avoiding my eyes. “You’ve already lost to much blood.” I nod.

“whatever it takes,” I say, softly. He gets up and the fire springs to life, in a matter of seconds. He comes back and finishes sowing my bullet wound. He bandages it for good measure and sits back, tired. I get out food and a water bottle, and scruff it down, with abandon. Sirius gets out his food as well and starts to eat. I’m about to start conversation, when the wheat field rustles behind Sirius. He hears it to and rolls towards me, coming up, facing the spot, growling. He only has a knife (he dropped his weapons when we got here) face appears, high in the darkness. I can’t really make out details, but I can make a pretty good guess, on who it is.

“Fire Girl,” he rumbles. “We meet again.”

“Yes, how you been Thresh?” I feel Sirius tense beside me. Thresh steps fully out in the open now. He is as big as I remember, and all muscle. He nods his head in a greeting. He turns to Sirius. They both stand there, sizing each other up. Sirius looks fearless, even though Thresh is nearly twice his size.

“Didn’t I tell you that we’re even?” Thresh turns to me. I nod. He spots the bloody bandages, and looks at my leg.

“Having trouble?” Sirius steps in front of me, blocking Thresh’s gaze.

“May we stay the night? We’ll leave in the morning, just Katniss is in no condition.” Thresh thinks about it for awhile.

“Fine, but you leave first thing in the morning,” he says in a threatening tone. We all settle down by the fire. I offer some food to Thresh which he denies. I snuggle by the fire and am nodding off to sleep when someone crashes into our clearing. I roll to the side, avoiding Titus’s thrown axe. I seize my bow and load it. Sirius jumps to his feet and throws himself at Titus, wielding his knife. Everything is moving in slow motion. Now that I get a good look at him, Titus isn’t as big as I thought. He’s about the same size and build as Cato. He’s bristling with weapons. He steps aside Sirius’s knife thrust, and punches him in the jaw. Sirius swears and backs up. I aim at Titus and am about to fire when Thresh tackles Titus. They roll on the ground, each trying to kill the other. They get up and throw themselves at each other with the savagery of lions. Thresh is bigger, but Titus stronger. They grapple fiercely, trying to get the upper hand. Titus draws a broad sword from his back. Thresh draws a long sword, that was sticking in the ground. They each swing at each other. Their swords meet and send a shower of sparks into the air. Sirius grabs his sword and circles them. Thresh steps closer to Titus, making it so that Titus can’t swing at him. Titus snaps at Thresh’s face. Thresh roars and seizes Titus’s sword hand. Titus swings at Thresh with his free hand, pounding Thresh’s ribs. Thresh grunts and brings his sword down, over Titus’s hand. Titus howls in pain as his hand falls to the ground, still holding his sword. Titus stumbles back, screaming, staring at the bloody stump that was his hand. Sirius whips his sword towards his Titus’s shoulder. A gash opens up near his neck. With his free hand, Titus wields a double-sided axe. He blocks Thresh’s next slash, and turns to Sirius. He jams the butt of his axe against Sirius’s face. He turns to Thresh and ducks, avoiding his sword. He shoulders Thresh in the gut, knocking him over. Before Thresh can react, Titus kicks him savagely in the face. He stomps on Thresh’s hand, breaking it. Thresh grunts in pain. I know I have to act. I kneel and take aim. I fire at Titus, before he can stomp on Thresh again. Titus arches his back, roaring in pain. My arrow is protruding from the back of his shoulder. Titus turns and throws his double-sided axe at me. I see the axe spinning, end of end, before I throw myself to the side, to avoid it. Titus turns back to Thresh, raising a knife, when Sirius appears behind him, kicking in the back of his leg. Titus goes down, but turns, jamming his knife into Sirius. I scream as Sirius stares at the knife before toppling over, on his back. Titus draws another knife, getting to his feet. Thresh does the same, wielding a long knife, panting. They throw themselves at each other, ramming their knives into each other. Blood sprays out of Titus’s back, and Thresh’s knife protrudes from his chest, piercing both sides. Titus staggers back, gasping, staring at the knife in disbelief. He falls back, a confused expression on his face. Thresh is panting, grasping at the knife. Blood is soaking his shirt. I rush to Sirius’s side. His breathing his fast. He scrunches his face as he rips the knife out. He shouts, trying to stop the blood from pouring out. His eyes start to glow, a metallic silver, getting brighter and brighter. I stare in shock as the wound starts to stitch itself back together, creating new skin. In under a minute the wound is gone. There is just a scar. His breathing becomes slower, more normal. He opens his eyes and meets mine. I can’t stop myself from leaning down and kissing him. He surprises me by kissing me back. He breaks the kiss and gets up. I get up and rush over to Thresh. His breathing is shallow, and his skin is grey. Sirius is drumming on his sword with his fingers. I can tell right away that Thresh will not survive. The design of Titus’s knife has done its job. The edges are made so that if you pull it out, it will rip open his chest. It’s right by his heart as well.
“Do it fast, Angel boy,” Thresh murmurs, his breathing slowing. Sirius nods, and raises his sword. The last thing I see before I bury my face in Sirius’s chest is the Angel on Sirius’s sword, plunging down, towards Thresh.