Status: Active.

You're a Scribbled out Name That My Love Keeps Writing Again and Again

Coincidence

Sophia’s eyes flickered over Bella and Edward's faces, trying to read their expressions. They had simultaneously tensed at the word, their faces contorting into that of surprise, worry and curiosity. Edward did a much better job at covering his reaction, swiftly composing his face back into the unreadable mask that infuriated Sophia to no end. She turned her attention to Bella who at that moment, looked like a rabbit caught in a headlight, blinking rapidly with an expression that was almost comical. She was unable to look up at Sophia, her eyes flickering from Edward then back to her rapidly moving fingers.

"What?" Sophia asked, annoyance evident in her voice. "What have I said now?"
"Nothing, nothing." Bella muttered.

Sophia closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. "I find it insulting that you expect me to believe that. I’m not stupid Bella. What did I say? What's wrong?"
"It's nothing Sophia."
"I swear to God Bella, if you don't-"
"It's really nothing for you to worry about Sophia." He chuckled but the humour was bare, the sound dark and bitter. "I think Bella was just recalling something I told her about Volterra."

His words were slow and careful. Bella looked up at him in surprise.

Sophia's eyes narrowed. "Go on."

"We, my family and I, were looking into going on a...vacation for a few weeks or so. Somewhere in Europe, far away and preferably sunny." He smirked at this, his eyes dancing in amusement. "We turned to the web to research places like Greece and France until we found out about this ancient Italian city called Volterra."

Bella was staring at Edward, lip caught between her bottom teeth and she listened to the story unravelling. His light hearted tone and gestures made it so real that Bella found herself almost falling for the story as well. But Edward's capability to conjure up a detailed lie with such ease made her stomach churn with discomfort. It made her wonder how many times she had soaked up one of his stories, oblivious to his blatant warp of the truth. She knew Edward wouldn't lie to hurt her intentionally. He would lie when he thought it was the best thing for her safety. He would lie when he thought she was better off in the dark. But Bella hated being confined to the shadows while Edward and his family relished in the truth, their words hushed and their looks knowing as they discussed her supposed safety. She glanced at Sophia, guilt ringing through her conscience when she realised since Sophia at arrived, she was having to endeavour the exact same thing. Bella sighed. Talk about hypocrisy.

"So Volterra is a place? In Italy?" Sophia was clearly confused, having no recollection of hearing the word at all. Sophia generally had an excellent memory but her mind drew a blank. There was no way she could have conjured the word up from thin air only to find out it was a place.

"Yes. It looked picturesque. It was rich with history and culture, something Carlisle can't resist sinking his teeth into it." The crooked smirk returned and he laughed quietly, ducking his head down. "So we looked into it a bit more. Alice was adamant that we knew our surroundings so as not to come of as tourists. But it turns out Volterra wasn't as perfect as it seemed. Apparently..." Edward's voice lowered, his words hushed as if he was gossiping. "Apparently it's the hot spot for a notorious cult."

Bella's eyes widened and a strange noise slipped past her lips as she tried to contain a gasp.

Sophia was leaning closer to Edward and he smiled at the curiosity in her eyes.

"A cult?" She asked, fascinated by the sudden revelation.

"Supposedly been around for centuries. No one can really estimate the exact period of time. They are very good at staying conspicuous."

Sophia's eyes searched Edward's face, desperately trying to work him out. He remained composed under her scrutinizing gaze, his face earnest and his golden eyes honest. There was no reason not to believe him. In the twisted world they lived in today it was totally plausible and it seemed like a realistic story to draw out that sort of reaction from Bella. So why was their still the uncertainty and doubt relentlessly scratching and clawing at the back of Sophia’s mind?

"So this cult? Are they like your standard religious nuts?"

Edward chuckled. "Worse. They have an unquestioned commitment to their beliefs with no life outside the confines of the group. They say if anyone dares doubt then they are punished. They also dive into more...supernatural beliefs then most cults. Volterra is the perfect place to prey on naive tourists and reel them in with their tempting words of rebirth and redefining life." Edward's tone was bitter and sarcastic, his eyes dark and narrowed.

"Right. I guess that was a big put off then?" She laughed nervously.

Edward looked up at her. "Yes. Yes it was."

The next few moments were silent, tension coiled around the three of them.

"Right, well. I better be off to bed." Sophia said, wiping her clammy hands on her jeans. She wasn't particularly tired, just desperate to escape the awkward air she had created. "Good night."

Bella murmured a soft goodnight back and Edward nodded.

"Ed-" Edward cut Bella off with a soft "sshh" and outstretched hand. He waited until Sophia had made her way to her room, safely out of hearing distance.

He dropped his hands slowly, allowing Bella to talk.

"Are you out of your mind?! Seriously? What is wrong with you?!" She hissed.

"Calm down Bella." He muttered, casting his troubled eyes upwards.

"A cult Edward? Really? You basically just told her all about the Volturi."

"I don't evoke ever mentioning the Volturi Bella."

"Of course you did! Just because-"

"Bella. You're overreacting. She has never heard of the Volturi and never will. There is no possible way for her to make a connection. Even when she does find about us...me...she will never need to know about the Volturi."

Bella closed her eyes, inhaling deeply. She nodded, relief coursing through her veins. "Your right. I'm sorry. I'm just...being so careful. Soon she is going to have this heavy burden to carry, these secrets that no one her age should ever have to bear. And it’s all my fault."

"Hush Bella. It’s not your fault. It will never be your fault. You need to stop being so hard on yourself." He whispered, stroking her hair gently. His icy lips pressed against her forehead softly. "Her and Jacob would have found each other eventually. Nothing you have done as compromised Sophia's life. It would have always worked out this way. And even though you hate to admit it, Jacob is the best thing that could happen to her.”

Bella nodded, leaning into his arms. They stayed like that for a while, no actions or words needed, just enjoying the comfort of each other's embrace.

"Edward?"

"Mmm?"

"How did Sophia know about Volterra?"

"I don't know."

"Don’t you find it strange though? She shouldn't know of it. No one really knows of it. I mean, who has ever heard of Volterra? The Volturi make sure it remains a secluded and mainly inaccessible city. I know I have never said it around her and she even said herself she had never heard of it before."

"I really don't know the answer to that one Bella. I'm as clueless as you are on this one." He pursed his lips. "It's just a coincidence.”

Bella frowned. "There’s no such thing as coincidences any more Edward. And you know that." She muttered.

Bella looked up towards the ceiling, hearing the distant creak of a bed as Sophia fidgeted restlessly.

"I just hope she doesn’t start having those nightmares again. They really took a toll on her when she was young. She doesn’t need that stress again."

"Mmm, perhaps I can talk to Carlisle. He's conducted a fair amount of psychological studies."

"We would have to be very sneaky about it. Sophia's too stubborn to admit something is wrong. It's a shame you can't work your way in and see what her mind is up to."

Edward groaned. "Don't. I thought it was frustrating not being able to pick through your thoughts but she is simply infuriating. It's like I’m chasing her thoughts. Their close enough to see but too far away to work out. "

Bella laughed as his lips almost formed a childish pout.

"You Swan sisters will be the death of me." He sighed "You’re both a mystery."

Sophia made her way to her room, leaving Edward and Bella to talk. Her mind was still spinning with questions and unease. She considered on going back and crouching on the staircase to shamelessly eavesdropon their conversation. But the consequences of being caught out ruled the thought.

Sophia felt a breeze when she stepped into a room. A cold stream of wind danced around her skin, encouraging goosebumps to arise and prickle the bare flesh on her arms. A violent shiver raked down her spine and her body become tense.

The window was pushed open, the curtains gracefully twisting and contorting their shape. The wind whistled and shook the air outside, almost sounding as if it was whispering to the sky.

Sophia did not remember opening the window.

She couldn’t understand why she would open the window. It was a crazy thing to do. She wouldn't make her room any colder than it already was.

She walked over to it, unnerved by the fact her legs grew weak and her lungs seem compressed by her chest, making her breathing erratic.

She reached out into the night air, the cold constricting round her bare arm. She swiftly pulled the window shut, careful not to slam it and wake Charlie. She kept her eyes off the dark ground below and drew the curtains.

She let out a shaky laugh, her fingertips rubbing her forehead as if to erase the worry within her mind.

“I must still think I’m in Phoenix.” She mumbled to herself, climbing into bed.

Sophia awoke with a start. Not from Bella and Charlie’s pestering hands or sarcastic morning greetings but from the abrupt ending to her nightmare.

She jolted up in bed, head in hands as her mind desperately tried to hold its grip on the remnants of her dream. But it was a losing battle. She lost her grip on the faces and words, her dream becoming an indistinguishable blur as it seeped back into the crevices of her brain.

Her hands clenched into fists and she hit the bed in frustration.

It was just like all those years ago.

Sophia knew she had one of those nightmares. She would always wake with an ache in her head and a sickness in her stomach. Her breathing would be heavy and for reasons unknown, her skin would be drenched in fear and panic would course through her veins.

And she would feel all of this but have no recollection of the dream itself, only a few words or distant faces.

But she somehow, she knew her dream had been sick and twisted and dark. Sometimes she found relief in the fact she wouldn’t have to relive those horrifying images.

That was until she fell asleep again.

“What’s wrong with me?” Sophia muttered, clutching her head.

She gave herself a few moments to calm her breathing and compose her thoughts before climbing out of bed.

She dressed quickly, pausing to look at the time and chuckling softly.

It wasn’t even eight and yet she had got up on her own accord.

She pulled her long hair out of her face as she looked out the window. Rivulets of rain ran down the glass, tainting its transparency. The scene outside was bleak, the rain merging the greys and greens. Sophia thought back to the pictures she used to draw when she was very young. She would choose the brightest, richest colours first, her time and effort concentrated on them. Forks reminded her of when she had used up all those colours and would have to use dark hues of browns, greens and greys. Those pictures were always reluctantly composed, finished with little interest or liking.

She left her room, humming gently in an attempt to harmonize with the drumming rain.

When she entered the kitchen, she was not surprised to see Edward in his savvy attire, sitting next to Bella with an unreadable expression his marble face. He was always here in the mornings to travel to school with Bella. However she was surprised to see the boy sitting across the table from them. His posture was relaxed as he reclined in the small wooden chair, long legs outstretched beneath the table and a lazy grin on his face.

He looked up at the sound of Sophia’s arrival, his dark eyes twinkling and his smile growing.

“Morning sleeping beauty.” He called, winking at her.

Sophia grinned and rolled her eyes, walking over to the fridge. She scrunched up her nose in distaste at the contents. Next time Bella went shopping, Sophia was defiantly going with her.

She walked around the kitchen, searching for something to eat.

"What are you doing here Jacob?" She asked, her back to him but a smile on her face.

"Well I thought I would keep you busy today. I was going to take you back up to La Push but seeing as the weather is miserable I thought we could stay in and watch movies."

She settled on a chocolate bar, unwrapping it as she walked round the table to take a seat next to Jacob. "Sounds like a plan."

“I wish you would eat properly Sophia.”

“Oh God Bella, please don't start. You're becoming more and more like Renee."

"I am not!" Bella said, sharp resentment in her voice which caused Edward to chuckle. "I'm just concerned for your well being. And being your older sister means I can substitute as the maternal figure in your life."

Sophia rolled her eyes. "I've never had a maternal figure in my life Bells."

She took another bite of her bar, all too aware of Jacob's eyes on her.

"Have you spoken to Renee since you arrived?"Bella asked.

"Just a few texts here and there. I'm sure Phil's keeping her occupied." Sophia said, grimacing.

"Where's dad?" she asked.

"Oh, he's out front on the phone." Bella replied.

Sophia nodded as a deep yawn resounded from her mouth. She blinked, rubbing her heavy eyelids.

Bella looked at Sophia, noticing her slumped posture, shaky movements and dark rings around her hazy eyes.

"How did you sleep last night?" Bella asked, her tone casual although Sophia knew where she was going.

"I'm fine Bella. I slept fine." She muttered.

"Are you sure. You look as if-"

"I'm fine Bella! Just...leave it. Please." Sophia asked desperately. She didn't want to bring this up. Talking about it made it all too real. She didn't want to have to admit to herself that it was happening again.

"What's wrong Sophia?" Jacob asked, concern evident in his voice.

"Nothing Jacob. It's nothing to worry about."

"Sophia there is obviously something wrong. You can't pretend as if there isn't." His rough palms covered her hands in a comforting gesture. She looked down at them, watching as his calloused fingers gently drew patterns on to the back of her hand. "Please."

He looked up at Bella. "Please Bella, tell me." He urged.

Bella sighed. "Sophia's nightmares have returned. She used to get them pratically everyday when she was a child."

"What happens in the nightmares?"

Sophia kept her head down while Bella spoke, looking directly at her.

"That's the thing. She can never remember. She just wakes up...terrified." Bella's voice lowering to a whisper.

Edward was also staring at Sophia, his brow furrowed and eyes stormy.

Sophia jolted up in her seat when she heard Charlie's heavy footsteps. She placed a smile on her face and turned to give him a wave. He waved back, phone in hand and a triumphant smile on his face.

"I just got off the phone with the school. They said that all the paperwork is sorted and they have your schedule ready for you to start tommorow!"

"Great." Sophia groaned. "Just what i wanted to hear."
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for not getting a chapter out sooner.

It's my last year of school and i'm stressing out with exams and plans for the future. I've also been chosen to compete with a few other students from different schools for a scholarship into a very prestigious school which is keeping me very busy.
I've also been having trouble with my laptop and had to send it away. That meant I had to re write this chapter and I feel it is very rushed but was desperate to get another chapter out before the end of the month.

But thank you for those who are sticking with me and I am very grateful. I really appreciate all the comments and i'm glad to know you are liking the story.

I hope you like this chapter and feel free to share your thoughts.

I know a lot of people seem to be doing the nightmare thing but i promise this is going to ber very different.

I'm also thinking about changing the name of this story. I came up with the name over a year ago now and feel it is longer then it needs to be.

Thanks again for reading :)