‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Two: Ignorance Hurts

A week has gone by. Alison’s birthday is here. Kim, Cassie, Laura, and Jessica are distracting her for us while we get Fallen ready for her Sweet Sixteen party.

“Soo, exactly how are they gonna know when we’re done?”, Kevin asks, popping up beside me.

“Simple. Jessica gave me her cell-phone number.”, I say, rolling my eyes.

“Melody, are you sure that this is such a good idea?”, Sophie asks, frowning slightly. “Alison really doesn’t want a big party …”

“It’s fine, Sophie.”

“I know, but she really doesn’t like surprises. The last surprise she got was she found out you were her big sis …”

“What’s so bad about that?”, I ask, helping to carry a giant speaker. “She took it pretty well.”

“Because she was use to those kind of surprises, Mel! And how do you know she isn’t looking right now?”

“Because Zoey put up spells to prevent her from seeing.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “Relax, Sophie. It’s okay.”

“No. I’ve got a bad feeling about this. Alison always told me to go with my gut. And I’m saying that this is a baaaad idea.”

“If anything goes wrong, Sophie, we’ll handle it. We worked together when the Demons and Angels struck war against us, we’ll work together through whatever happens.”, I say, mixing up the cake batter. “What could possibly go wrong?”

“Donovan coming back,” Sophie says automatically. I just had to ask, I grumble silently.

“She has a point, Melody. None of us have even thought this through. Alison’s got a lot of enemies —,” Kevin says worriedly.

“And if anything goes wrong then we’ll handle it. This is her Sweet Sixteen! I wanna give her the best party that’s possible for all she’s done for me, for all of us.”, I say quietly, throwing the batter in the oven. “I can talk to Zoey and see what she knows. Her and Alison have that heavy mind-link because of being witches. I trust her instincts just as much as I’d trust Alison’s.”

♠ ♣ ♠

“Okay, the wards are still up, right Zoey?”, I ask, looking at her quickly.

“Yep. She won’t be able to see a thing. Even inside.”, Zoey says, grinning. “And they’re easily taken down.”

“No. I don’t want her seeing anything all night. I don’t care how frickin’ uncomfortable it may make her.”, I say, just as Alison flies up with the blindfold on, her dark blue dress short, stopping above her knees, strapless, heart-collared, fluffing out once it reaches her waist. She wore a silver belt around her waist, tied in a bow much like her headband. Her hair was curled, her nails a stunning glittery neon-blue. She was jean ballet-flats — still unable to wear high-heels without nearly breaking her neck.

“Okay, what’s going on?”, Alison laughs, trying to pull off the blindfold.

“Hold on,” I say, grabbing her hand, leading her forward, motioning for everyone to take their places. Martin stands behind her nervously, glancing at me to see when to take off her blindfold. I step away, looking around. I will never understand how Kevin was able to get all of these people up here without anyone even seeming to know it. I nod at Martin, and he quickly takes off Alison’s blindfold.

She gasps, her face revealing conflicting emotions that changed too quickly for me to recognize. I started worrying that she didn’t like it, trying to calm myself down by the classic “I’m just being silly” thing.

But my worries were put to rest as she yelled, “OHMYFINGGOD!!!!! THANK Y’ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!”

Then she ran around hugging all of us. It was a little awkward, since the last time she had hugged me was when Raine had killed me. But, this hug was happier. The tears that silently spilled out of her eyes were of happiness.

“Why can’t I see anything?”, she asks quietly, as she lets go.

“Because this is your day, Al! Nothing’s gonna ruin it!”, I say quietly, as the music starts up. “Now go dance with Martin. He’s been bugging Dylan and me about dancing all day.”

“Too bad I can’t dance,” Alison grumbles, walking away to dance with him, nevertheless.

“You did good,” Kevin says, twirling me quickly. “She’s enjoying herself already.”

“Lets just hope she doesn’t enjoy herself too much.”

“That’s a low amount of trust, Melody.”

“You’re right. Alison’s too smart to do anything stupid.”

“Oh, yeah. I meant you weren’t trusting my ability to murder Martin if anything did happen.”

“That would probably help,” I laugh, nodding toward where Alison and Martin were dancing. It was amazing how she under estimates herself so much. She danced just fine. And no matter what, Martin’s not going to hold anything like that against her.

“C’mon, let me kill him …”, Kevin says quietly under his breath, twirling me before I start arguing with him. “Don’t tell me to relax, Melody. I’m a permanent sixteen-year-old boy. I know what’s going on through his mind.”

“No, you don’t! Martin’s not stupid enough to risk his life!”, I say, rolling my eyes. “And we’d notice if they suddenly went missing. Why are we even having this conversation?”

“You’re right. She promised me she’d wait.”, Kevin grumbles, looking at them. “They really do look good together …”

“And the day he messes up is the day we kill him.”

We?”

“She’s my little sister. You’re not gonna kill him alone.”, I say as he twirls me, making me dizzy and giggly.

“Alright! We all came here for one reason! Lets give a hand to our lovely birthday girl, Alison!!!”, the DJ yells into the microphone. The entire cloud bursts into applause, and I nearly had to throw her up onto the stage. “So, can you sing?”

“Nope.”

“Close enough,” I chuckled at that. DJs are persisant people. A song soon starts playing, and I swear Alison’s eyes were a mile wide.

Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania
Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania


Call me obsess, call me insane
Something is creeping through my veins
Eyes can not see
Whats underneath
I can’t stop and you can’t stop me
I’m gonna get this fire started,
Impossible for you to breathe
The temperature is rising up (up)
So Hot! Cause I’m burning up


Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh Oh Oh
(Heated Heated Up Yap)
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh Oh Oh
(Heated Heated Up Yap)


Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania
Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania


I must confess, a thousand degrees
Bring out the beast inside of me
Don’t be afraid (...)
It’s gonna melt your feels away


I’m gonna get this fire started,
Impossible for you to breathe
Cascada Pyromania lyrics found on
The temperature is rising up (up)
So Hot! And I’m burning up


Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh Oh Oh
(Don’t you see me burning up)
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh Oh Oh
(Heated Heated Up Yap)


Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania
Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania
Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania
Pyro-Pyro-Mania-a-a The Mania


So as the fire is running wild
I will surrender to (...)
And I don’t want to apologize
It’s getting hot, hot
And I’m burning up!


(Mah Mah Mah Mah)

Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh Oh Oh
(Heated Heated Up Yap)
Pyromania, Pyromania Oh
Pyromania, Oh Oh Oh
,” she sings the fire blazing suddenly all around the stage, dieing just as quickly. She hops off the stage, just before the DJ was able to play another song. I give her a disapproving look.

“Fire? Really?”

“It was an honest accident.”

“An accident that could’ve cost us.”, Kevin growls.

“I’m sorry, okay? I couldn’t help it.”

“That doesn’t help the fact that you nearly showed everyone that you’re a witch!”

“Kevin, let it go. If anyone asks then we’ll just lie and say it was part of the show.”, I say, shrugging. “Nobody got hurt.”

“But that’s not the first time that’s happened!”, Kevin yells, jerking Alison by her arm. “Get a grip on your powers before someone figures it out.”

“Kevin, stop!”, I growl, jerking her free of his grasp. “You okay?”

“I’ve been through worse,” she says, shrugging as she walks away.

“You can’t expect her to get a grip on her powers so easily! Zoey doesn’t understand half the stuff Alison can do!”

“So I’m supposed to just ignore the fact that she just set the stage on fire?!”, Kevin growls. “Katharina warned us that secrecy is everything. Without it, we die. We’re in enough trouble with the angels on our asses.”

“No. I’m saying she can’t control them no matter how much practice she gets. She needs someone to tell her what to do.”

“So we basically find another witch?”

“Zoey only has so much power.”

“Where exactly are we gonna find —,” Martin pops up, looking oddly pale and shaken.

“Guys, Alison’s gone.”

“WHAT?!!”, Kevin yells, looking around.

“I-I think it was Donovan. One second we were dancing and having a good time, the next she just disappeared into a blur screaming.”

“Ohmyfinggod! Sophie was right!”, I say, looking around.

“I told you!”, Sophie says grimly, rolling her eyes with Duncan right behind her. As always. Duncan hardly ever leaves Sophie’s side anymore. “Donovan took Alison.”

“How did you know?”, Kevin asks, skeptical.

“She’s my sister. Some things about her I just know.”

“Same here,” I say sadly. “I was just trying to ignore it, though.”

“See! This is why Alison hates her birthday! Something always goes wrong!”

“And that something is usually Donovan?”

“Yep,” Sophie says, rolling her eyes. “Now the question remains: Where did he take her?”

“Somewhere private,” I say automatically, shrugging.

“Huh?”, Martin asks confusedly.

“And you were worried that he’d make a move on her?”, I ask sarcastically, pointing with my thumb at Martin. “She’s sixteen. What does that spell for a guy who’s absolutely obsessed with her?”

“Get all these people out! I don’t care how, just get them out!”, Kevin growls. I nod, already at work.

♠ ♣ ♠

“I swear, for the sake of all that is holy, if he lays a finger on her, I will murder his sorry-immortal-ass!!!”, Kevin growls furiously, pacing around. Sophie and I exchange looks, both thinking the same thing.

“Alison can defend herself …”, I say, looking around, as if for some support on the idea.

“Unless he took her to a hotel. Too many lives at stake. Alison wouldn’t care what he did to her. As long as nobody got hurt.”, Sophie says sadly. “We can only pray she doesn’t get pregnant. Or do anything to set him off.”

“Why would it matter if she got pregnant?”

“Alison would freak out, Mel. She has that constant fear of it.”, she shrugs. “Threatened that if I ever got pregnant before I hit twenty-five she’d murder the sorry-ass.”

“Spoken like a Nathanson.”, Chris chuckles. “Sorry, it’s just funny how much she’s like Kevin.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed that. Whenever she’s angry I get confused whether she’s herself or Kevin.”, I say, laughing slightly. “Oh, and when we found her in Hell —”

Willingly! She isn’t a demon.”, David says quickly.

“We get it! She acts like me a lot.”, Kevin snaps grouchily, continuing to pace.

“What’s up your ass?”, I ask, rolling my eyes.

“We’ll find her, Kevin. And if we don’t, then she’s probably planning an escape route.”, Sophie says quietly, staring at the ground. “Alison’s smart. She’ll figure something out.”

“I don’t think he’s worried about that. I think he’s more concerned with the fact of what’s gonna happen in the mean time. But it’s pretty obvious where Donovan would take her.”, I say, laughing slightly towards the end. “He wants to see if he can win her back. He won’t have any satisfaction unless he feels like he won.”

“Ahuh, and where exactly did he take her?”

“Louisville, Kentucky.”

“That makes perfect sense! Alison absolutely loves momma! She never really want to leave Kentucky to begin with.”, Sophie says, smiling. “She’s always talking about momma and them, all her friends, and just Kentucky to begin with. Makes me wish I was old enough to remember something.”

“Then what are we doing here?!”, Kevin asks, nearly running around before I stopped him.

“Hold your horses cowboy. The first place she’d go after her escape would be here.”, I say, glaring. “We take the ones who know her best. Then leave the rest behind.”

“I’m not letting y’all —,” Sophie’s got Duncan saying it, too, “— drag Sophie across the country without me.”

“That’s exactly why you’re coming. Martin, Max, David, Psychics, Mirabelle, Cecilia, Nina, Ash, and Sissy.”, I say, pointing to everyone as I said their names. “The rest of you can just stay here and call me if she shows up.”

“We’re coming, too,” Kim, Cassie, Jessica, Kenny, and Randy say together, standing up.

“They know her pretty well.”, Chris says, shrugging.

“They were eager to meet new family.”, Laura says apologetically.

“Naw, the more the merrier, as Alison says.”, Sophie says, shrugging. “But do y’all even know about the Bastard?”

“Sophie,” I say, glaring.

“What? Alison calls him that all the time. She says Kevin says it, too.”, I glare at Kevin, who rolled his eyes.

“You call him that, too.”

“Point taken. Lets just get heading to Kentucky before midnight strikes.”

“Something tells me that we’d better get there before that happens.”, Sophie says, her pure white and golden wings unfolding. Yep, Sophie earned her angel wings. None of us are entirely sure how …

♠ ♣ ♠

Well, we’re here in Louisville, Kentucky … now you’re probably wondering why I sound so glum? Kevin’s being a pain in the ass, trying to get to her as fast as possible. I really want to slap him, but Alison bet me a hundred bucks that I can’t go a month without slapping him. And yes, I’ll admit that he still has a faint red mark on the side of his face from all the times I slapped him.

“Where the hell is she?!!!”, Kevin growls, pacing around the Holiday Inn lobby.

“We don’t know his last name, Kevin. That was the only flaw to our plan.”, I say, glaring at him.

“Oh, is that why I’m sitting in a smelly chair reading old magazines?”, Sophie asks, rolling her eyes. “It’s Andrews this year.”

“You hear that?”, I ask, pointing to her. I go running up to the front desk with him, where an overly perky worker stood.

“Can I help you?”, I noticed her just staring at Kevin, and rolled my eyes.

“Yes. Is there a Donovan Andrews here?”, I ask, hopeful.

“Umm … there is a Mr. Andrews here.”, Kevin and I exchange excited looks. “Are you friends?”

“Yes,” we say together.

“Alright. Room number 1617.”, she hands Kevin the keys, and I was already running closely behind him.

“Kevin! Slow down! We have to think this through!”, I hiss, stopping him as we reach the sixteenth floor. “We can’t just barge in! He’s got Alison right there! He could pull out a gun and shoot before we open the door!”

“You think I don’t know that?!”, Kevin growls, jerking away from me. “I just want her away from him.”

“So, you’re just gonna risk her life?”

“No, I’m going to do whatever it takes to get her away from Donovan.”

“Fine. You do it your way, I’ll do it mine.”, I say, walking steadily behind him, as we soon face the door, that read in golden letter “1615”, and on the doorknob was a white sign that in bold letters said “Do Not Disturb.” I was getting worried. “What if we’re too late?”, I whisper worriedly, looking up at him.

“I’ll murder him quick,” Kevin growls, kicking the door open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I’m being a total nerd and reading ahead in my Social Studies / History book (which I brought home), and I’m wondering if anyone has ever heard of Phyllis Wheatly?