Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

The Aftermath

Addison sat quietly in the emergency room waiting for the doctor to come in and take care of her hand. Joe and her father also sat quietly behind her. After a couple more minutes, Katie pushed the curtain aside and walked in.

"Addie, what were you thinking?" Katie asked sympathetically and rubbed Addison's arm.

Addison shook her head. "I wasn't. I was just so mad. I just like... blacked out or something and the next thing I know, Joe was asking me if I was okay and my hand was bleeding and the mirror was broken."

Katie put on a pair of gloves and took Addison's hand in her own. "Dr. DeMarcus should only be a couple more minutes. This looks like you'll only need a stitch or two, three at the most." She looked at Addison for a prolonged moment as she took her gloves off. She rubbed her arm again. "I'm so sorry, hon."

"It is what it is," Addison responded as she shrugged her shoulders. Just then they heard a code blue being called over the p.a. system and Katie said she had to go and rushed from the room. Addison looked behind her at Joe and he maintained eye contact with her for a prolonged moment. He got up and sat next to her and put his arm around her waist. She put her head on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, Add," he whispered and kissed her head.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," she responded. Then Dr. DeMarcus finally walked in.

"Okay Addison," he said as he scanned her chart. Jessica, the nurse, walked in behind him and set a couple things on a tray by the bed. He took Addison's hand and looked it over. "Let's clean it over one more time and then go ahead and numb it."

Jessica nodded her head and pulled on a pair of gloves. Being quick and efficient, she cleaned the cuts and then told Addison, "This is going to sting a little bit."

"Over here," Joe said, pulling her attention away from the nurse. "Today's been a crazy day. It's barely started and here we are."

"Today sucks. I'm really sorry. I know you had things to do today."

"Right now, none of that matters. You're what matters to me right here, right now. Don't be sorry."

"Okay, we're all ready. Can you feel this?" Jessica asked Addison as she gently pressed around the gashes in Addison's hand. Addison shook her head and Jessica stood up and moved out of the way for Dr. DeMarcus. The doctor pulled on some gloves and sat in front of Addison.

"Ready?" he asked as he took her hand.

"Yes," Addison said and gave him a quick nod.

It seemed to only take Dr. DeMarcus ten minutes at most to stitch up Addison's hand. He told Addison that Jessica would be back in soon to let her know how to take care of it and when the stitches could come out. He told them all to take care and left the room. Jessica came in after him and told Addison everything she needed know and then they were on their way. As they were on their way to Mr. Turner's car, they heard the sound of a camera go off.

"Seriously?" Addison was extremely annoyed. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Addison," her father said in a warning tone of voice.

"Sorry," she apologized. She pulled her sleeve down so it covered her stitches and tucked it under her other arm. Joe let go of her hand and gently pulled her over so she was in between him and her dad. They could finally see the guy who was taking their picture. This one they didn't recognize. He snapped a couple more pictures of them.

"Hey Joe Jonas, is everything okay?"

"Uh, yeah, everything's fine. Thanks." Joe purposely kept it short.

Once they were out of earshot, Mr. Turner asked, "You seriously go through that every day?"

"Every day," Joe said and nodded his head. "That one night at dinner was a little more normal but when it's just me and Addison, that back there is what is normal."

"Oh my god, remember that one time in New York? That Barry dude?" Addison said.

Mr. Turner looked at his daughter. "You never told me about that."

"There's this one paparazzi dude in New York that likes to follow Joe around. He did it the first time I went with them. It was kind of scary."

"Part of that was my fault. My dad wanted us to have a bodyguard with us but I said we'd be fine. I totally forgot about him."

"At least the second time, the GMA visit, we didn't have to deal with him."

Mr. Turner shook his head. "I don't know how you do it. I couldn't do it. I'm surprised Addison handles it as well as she does."

"If Joe didn't have an image to keep clean, honestly, I wouldn't care."

Joe laughed. "Thanks babe." They got to Mr. Turner's car. Joe opened the passenger door for Addison and then climbed into the back seat.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"Sorry! I'm sorry!" Joe said as he quickly walked into the Jonas Brothers' rehearsal space. Everyone just looked at him, especially Mr. Jonas. When Joe called him, he had been very vague in explaining why he'd be late.

"We'll talk after your rehearsal. Let's just get started," Mr. Jonas told his son.

They spent the next few hours rehearsing and going over more tour stuff. To say that Joe was distracted would be an understatement. After the band left, Mr. Jonas held his boys back.

"Joe, what's going on?"

Joe looked at the floor and debated how much he should say.

"Addison's mom came to the house this morning to tell them some news. Um, she has cancer and Addison didn't take it very well. She kind of lost it and ended up hurting herself so Mr. Turner and I took her to the hospital."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Is Addison all right?" Mr. Jonas asked.

"She cut her hand and needed a couple stitches. When I left her she was going back to bed. Finn is staying with her until I get back."

"That's tough. I'm sorry," Kevin said.

"Yeah, me too. Let her know we're here for her," Nick said. "And Finn too."

Mr. Jonas asked, "How are you holding up? I know this has to be affecting you."

Joe took a moment to gather his thoughts and feelings. "I feel helpless. There's literally nothing I can do. I hate to see her hurting but I know there is nothing I can do. That makes it even harder." He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"I'm really sorry, son," Mr. Jonas said and sighed. "Let's go home though and you can get back to Addison. You know your mother and I are here for you both."

"Thanks," Joe responded and followed his brothers out to the parking lot. They all hugged and went their own ways.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Joe walked into the house and Finn looked over at him before pausing the TV.

"She's in the room. She hasn't been out at all so I don't know if she's still sleeping or what."

Joe nodded his head. "Thanks for staying with her. I know this can't be easy for you either."

Finn shrugged his shoulders. "I spent my life believing my aunt was my mom so I can't really say at this point that I feel one way or another." Finn then laughed and stood up. He held his hand out to Joe. "Hi Joe, welcome to the dysfunctional Turner family." He shook his head. "Okay, it's not funny but it sure does sound ridiculous."

Joe shrugged his shoulders. "Hey, we don't get to pick our family, might as well make the best of it."

"True that. I'm gonna head back to the house so you can be with Add."

"All right. Thanks again, Finn." He watched as Finn left and shut off the TV. He debated going straight to Addison or making her dinner first. He chose dinner. After half an hour, he had her dinner done and waiting on the counter. As he quietly entered the bedroom, Addison was sitting in the middle of the bed, staring at nothing in particular. She looked at him with a blank stare.

"Hey babe, I made some dinner. It's in the kitchen." He pointed behind him. Addison got up and approached him. He kissed her and then took her hand.

"I don't know why this bothers me so much," she said once they sat down.

"She's your mother."

"Kind of. She's a bitch too."

"Addison! You're in shock. That's all it is. You're in shock."

"Whatever you say," she said and left it at that. Joe just looked at her and waited for the fallout.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, it's been forever since I've updated this story. I will now being updating either once a week or once every other week until this story is done. After that, I'll most likely be done writing. But here it is, the next installment. See you next week.