Sequel: Hearts On Fire

In the Rose Garden

She's a Big Star

After receiving the confirmation from Nick, the night finally came for the party. Joe and Addison picked out their clothes and started to get ready around 6pm since it was at 7pm. Addison picked out her black and white pleated organza tiered evening dress. The top half was black with allover sequins while the bottom half was tiered with white and black tulle underlay. She paired it with a pair of glossy black closed toe heels. She pulled off her shirt and turned her back to Joe.

"Can you unhook the straps in the back for me?" she asked him.

"Yeah," Joe responded and walked around the bed to her. He unhooked one strap with no problem but the other strap snagged. Addison heard him curse under his breath.

"Joe, you're not making me very confident in your unhooking bras ability."

He rolled with her joke. "Trust me babe, my abilities are amazing... when they don't include straps." The strap finally unhooked. "Got it!"

Addison tossed the straps on top of the dresser and picked up her dress. She studied it for a moment before stepping into it and pulling it up. She looked down at her chest and then at Joe. "Am I good?"

Joe wrapped his arms around her waist. "Perfect. You always look perfect."

"You always make me feel perfect," she said and kissed him.

"Because you are." He checked his watch. "Let's get moving. We don't want to miss this party." They both finished getting ready and headed into the living room. Joe pulled one of his leather jackets out of the coat closet and put it on over his white and black plaid shirt. He went back to their bedroom to grab one of Addison's black blazers and she was ready to leave when he got back. He handed her the jacket and grabbed his car keys and they were out the door.

Once they were in the car, Joe got down to business. "I have a confession to make."

"Huh? Oh please go on."

"So this party, it's not for some random person you've never met, it's for you."

"Me? Why me? What did I do?"

"That CD you recorded with Nick, it's finished. So he's throwing a little get together to celebrate."

"Awe, that's so sweet of him."

"It was hard keeping this secret. Let me tell you. He's really proud of this project."

"Honestly, I'm proud of myself."

"I'm proud of you. You both should be proud."

"Thanks Joe. That means a lot coming from you," Addison said and looked over at him as he glanced at traffic behind him.

"Are we there yet?"

"Actually..." Joe pulled into a parking lot. "Yes, we are." He put his car in park and shut it off. Being the chivalrous young man he was brought up to be, he quickly made his way to the other side of the car and helped her out. She took his arm while they walked to the front of the building and he held the door open for her. They followed the signs to their designated area and walked into a party in full effect. It wasn't too crowded but it was definitely more than a couple people. A lot she didn't recognize.

"Hey! There you guys finally are!" Nick exclaimed and hugged his brother and then Addison. "As I'm sure Joe has already told you, your demo is done! It's complete. I hope you don't mind that we had enough copies made for everyone here."

"Not at all, Nick. It's your work too. You should be able to do what you want with it as well. By the way, thanks for this. You didn't have to do this."

"I just wanted to celebrate you and what you've accomplished with this. It's not every day something like this happens."

"Thanks again, pal!" Addison hugged him once more.

"No problem. We'll meet up again on stage in like, fifteen minutes," he said as he checked his watch.

"Um... okay," she said. Nick touched her arm as he started to walk away.

"Oh my god, there's someone I want you to meet!" Joe said and grabbed her hand and began dragging her along. "Demi!"

"Hey Joe!" Demi Lovato said and hugged him. "How have you been?"

"Great. How about yourself?"

"I'm well. I can't complain."

"Demi, this is my girlfriend, Addison. Addison, this is Demi."

The girls shook hands and exchanged hellos.

"I listened to your music. You're an amazing writer," Demi told Addison.

"Thanks so much. I really appreciate you saying that."

"We should definitely get together and write some time."

"Of course! That would be amazing."

"I'm going to go find Kevin. I haven't seen him yet. I'll talk to you guys later," Demi said. Then she leaned in close to Joe and whispered, "I'm glad I got to finally meet her. I like her. Don't screw this one up, Jonas."

Joe let out a hearty laugh. "Of course not."

*

"What are we doing, Nick?" Addison quietly asked as she took the microphone Nick was handing her.

"I just have a few words I wanted to say in front of everyone. That's all," he said and shrugged his shoulders as he looked at her. "Just follow my lead." He walked onto the small stage with Addison in tow behind him. "I just want to thank everyone for coming out tonight. I just wanted to give some recognition to one of my best friends, Addison. She's an amazing singer and songwriter. After a little convincing, she allowed me to record a couple of her songs and that's what this is." He held up her CD. "The final product. I may be a little biased since I produced it-" Everyone laughed. "But it is amazing. She is amazing. Addison, thank you for allowing me to record and produce your music. I feel honored." So amazing.

"Is it my turn now?" she asked.

"Yeah, make sure you talk into the mike," he said and discreetly moved his mike upwards.

Addison nodded her head. "Nick, oh Nick, you have no idea how many times I wanted to punch you in the face." Everyone laughed as did Nick.

"I'm sure I have an idea."

"All the constant redos and you always saying 'that wasn't good enough' or 'that could be better' were starting to get to me. I get it now though. You were just trying to make me be the best that I could be and you did. I thank you for that. I'm still not quite sure what you saw or heard in me but thank you for having faith in me. You're seriously the best."

Addison and Nick hugged one another.

"Just wait until we start talking about a tour." Before she could object, he quickly said, "What do you say I hop on that piano over there and we give them a song or two?"

Everyone started applauding and they heard Lily shout, "You got this girl!"

"Okay, let's do this," Addison said feeling the moment.

"We got this. It's just you and me," Nick whispered as he put her mike back on the stand and lowered it a little. Someone brought out a stool for her to sit on. She sat down and looked at Joe and Lily in the front. Joe winked at her and mouthed "I love you." They quickly decided on two songs and performed them, making this Addison's first public performance ever. They said their thank yous and went back to the party.

"I'm so proud of you!" Mr. Turner exclaimed and hugged his daughter.

"You sounded so good! Make sure I get a copy of that CD," Katie said, hugging her as well. "Oh and make sure you sign it. You're gonna be someone someday."

"Aww, thanks Kate!" She let go of Katie. Everyone fell silent around her and she wondered why. Then she felt a tap on her shoulder. Addison turned and came face to face with her mother.

*

"I'm sorry I'm late. I did see your performance though. You were great," Mrs. Turner told her daughter.

"Um, thanks," Addison said. She wasn't sure how to accept a compliment from her mom. She knew by the look in her eyes though that she was sober. After another minute, her brother and father finally joined them outside.

"I know this isn't the best place to do this but I didn't know what else to do. I figured this would be all right since we're all in the same place at the same time." They could tell she was nervous. She kept wringing her hands. "In order to have the best outcome for any treatment I do, I'm going to go to rehab first. I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to get clean and sober and stay that way. I actually leave tomorrow and how long I'll be there hasn't been decided yet. It'll depend on how much work they think I need with my addiction."

"Mom, that's great!" Finn said and hugged her. Addison felt her dad nudge her.

"Yeah Mom, that's great," Addison blurted out but didn't move to hug her.

"Addison..." he said.

"No, it's okay. I understand," Mrs. Turner stood and held her hands out. "It's going to take her some time and I understand that. I'm not here for that though. I'm here for you, Addison. So let's all get back inside and enjoy her night." Her twins turned and went back inside while she and her ex-husband stood around for a moment.

"How are you doing? I mean really doing?" Mr. Turner asked and studied her face.

"Good. Scared, God knows I'm scared to death but I'm all right."

He stayed silent because he knew she had something more to say.

"Please take care of them."

"Of course. Now let's get back inside," he said and ushered her back inside the building and to her daughter's party.
♠ ♠ ♠
I forgot to mention this last week but major kudos to Mashi. She's one of the reasons why this story is back and being updated. Thank you, Mashi, for your continued support!

Thank you PhoebeBuffay for the recommendation! Mucho appreciation.

You can find the character information on tumblr now, ITRG tumblr. If it asks for a password, it's josephadamjonas.

Chapter title credit: Kenny Chesney - Big Star