Running Wild in the Night

I Need Another Chance to Live

Jimmy's POV

"So how's Nikki been doing," Val asked as we walked into our psychology class.

Yes, I took psychology. When I heard that Nikki's father put her in an insane asylum and my parents were fighting to gain custody of her, I thought it would be smart to take this class just in case she did come and live with us. At least I'd have an idea of what she might be like. Thank god I did.

"She's been doing fine," I replied.

"I heard that she's been hanging around Brian a lot."

"Actually, its McKenna Nikki's been hanging around with. They finger paint a lot," I said, smiling.

"Wow, Nikki and finger painting. I really can't image her doing that," Val said as she sat down.

The rest of the guys all came in. Psychology is the one class all of us have together. It's a pretty awesome class. The teacher, Mr. Kilroy, is one of those teachers that doesn't care much but you can learn from. He's a really cool guy.

"Hey, Val, Jimmy. What's new," Matt asked as he took his seat next to Val.

"Not much. Just talking with Jimmy about Nikki."

"Is it true that she's been finger painting?"

"Ask Brian," I answered, laughing.

They all looked at Brian who was laughing and nodding. "Yeah, she's been finger painting with McKenna all the time."

"Okay class, settle down, settle down," Mr. Kilroy said as he walked in, "We're going to start a new topic."

Everyone sat in the desks as Mr. Kilroy began writing what we were about ready to study about. My jaw dropped as did some of the guys'.

"We're going to study and learn about heroin addicts. Now does anyone know one?"

No one raised their hand. I didn't because I was in too much shock; in fact, the only thing I could do was stare at my desk. Fate dealt a cruel hand today. We're going to be talking about something my cousin was? This is definitely not cool.

"Alright does anyone know anyone who's tried it?"

Again no one raised their hand. I could feel my friends' eyes all staring at me. They knew who I had in my mind.

Brian's POV

I stared at Jimmy as Mr. Kilroy looked around for any raised hands. I wasn't the only one either. All of us stared at him. We all knew that Nikki was on his mind.

She was a heroin addict, a recovering one, and we start talking about them in our class. What the hell? She's gone through so much shit and she'd be amazing to talk to but as I said, she's gone through so much shit already. Nikki would know what its like but I don't want to bring those memories back for her. None of us do. She's gotten so much better about everything; this would probably just remind her of all the mistakes and regrets she's made.

"Does anyone know a heroin addict or anyone who's tried it," Mr. Kilroy asked for the last time, "Alright I guess-"

"I do."

I looked at Jimmy who was still staring at the desk. Val and Matt were in shock while Zacky and Johnny both had their jaws dropped. I couldn't believe he said that.

"You know a heroin addict or you know someone whose tried it?"

"I know a recovering heroin addict."

"Can you tell us what this person's like? You don't have to disclose any names and if you don't want to, you don't have to tell us anything."

I expected Jimmy to shake his head and not say anything but he didn't.

"My cousin was a heroin addict. She started when she was I think fourteen or fifteen. She was pretty screwed up. Her mom died and her dad was an asshole to her. She's really smart, I mean, she graduated when she was fifteen. Top in her class. But she was so obsessed with heroin, it was her life. From what I hear from her psychologist, it was her escape. She was always angry and depressive. The littlest thing could set her off. All she wanted was heroin and she was extremely desperate for her next time."

"Is she still alive," one of the girls, Maddie, asked.

Jimmy looked at her and said, "She lives with me and my parents now."

"Jimmy, that's really awesome of you to share this information with us. I know this may be hard on you and your cousin, but do you think she'd be willing to come to this class and tell us about her life with heroin," he asked.

"I don't know what she'll say but I'll ask anyway," Jimmy said.

Mr. Kilroy nodded and began teaching.

"Wow, I can't believe you said that," Johnny said as we all began walking out of class.

"I know! Why'd you say that?"

"I was there at Nikki's last psychologist appointment and Dr. Travis, her therapist, suggested that she'd start talking about what went on her life. Nikki's the only one that knows but keeps everything bottled up inside and her dad died last month," Jimmy said, as we walked to our lockers.

"Her dad died? Last month," I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, he apparently died. His will was found and apparently everything he owns is now in a trust fund for Nikki. Think: when she turns eighteen, she's going to be extremely wealthy."

Nikki's POV

I laid on the couch in the family room, staring at the tv. Nothing was every on at noon and yet I attempt to find something that will amuse me. Jimmy said that he and everyone else would come over for lunch so I wasn't alone for the whole day even though I was fine with trying to find something to amuse myself with.

My eyes scanned the room as I flipped through the channels. They landed on that art case that Jimmy got me when I moved in with him. I don't know what got over me, but I got up and walked to it. My hands flipped the clasps up and opened it, revealing the new supplies. I looked at them and picked up a pencil, eyeing its sharp point. Underneath all the supplies was a sketch book and I pulled that out too. "I haven't done any drawings in so long," I muttered, looking at the blank pages.

I stared at the open case for a few moments before I took the pencil and eraser, stuffed it in my pockets, took the sketch book, and sat back on the couch. My hand held the pencil as its tip was on the page, shaking as it hadn't done this in so long. I bit my lip as I started moving the pencil, lines and figures forming.

I don't know how long I was doing that but the door opened, signaling that Jimmy was here. "Nikki, where are you? The guys, Val, and I are here," he called.

I didn't say anything, I was too consumed with my drawing. Footsteps got louder as the came into the kitchen and saw me sitting on the couch, hunched over. "Nikki, what are you doing," Jimmy asked as he walked towards me.

I blinked and actually took the chance to what I was drawing. "I drew a picture," I whispered as Jimmy looked at the sketchbook.

He didn't say anything but grabbed it from me, looking at what I had done. He just looked at it and then handed it to the rest of the guys. I turned around as Val's jaw dropped. "Nikki, you drew this," Zacky asked, looking at it.

I shrugged as I watched him turn the sketchbook around, revealing the picture I drew. I had drawn the guys practicing. I thought it was pretty shitty but apparently it wasn't. I looked at my fingers and sat that there was lead smudges on them from where I was shading and blending.

"Someone's talent is coming back," Matt said, smiling.

"I don't know."

"Hey Nikki, I have a question for you."

"What," I asked as I walked to the kitchen sink and began washing my hands.

I noticed everyone's eyes were on Jimmy. The knew something and what he as going to ask me. Something in my gut said it was going to be hard to answer.

"We're talking about heroin addicts in my psychology class and the teacher, Mr. Kilroy, asked if we knew anyone that was an addict. I did and he asked if you'd be willing to come to class and tell us about your life as a former addict," he said quickly.

My eyes instantly shifted to stare straight into his eyes. I wasn't expecting this.

"I guess so. I need another chance to live and to recover so I guess this would help. Dr. Travis did say talking would help me."