Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

10

I had just gotten downstairs when I heard a car pull up. “Bye!” I called, and hurried out the door before Chris could go out there and embarrass me. “I have my phone!”

I got into the passenger seat and grinned at Paul. He pulled out and was about to say something when my phone started ringing. I pulled it out of my purse and looked at it, then silenced it and shoved it back into my bag.

“Who was it?” Paul asked.

“Chris.”

“And he was calling because…?”

“He’s an overprotective jerk.” I made a face, and Paul laughed. It wasn’t exactly happy laugher, though. There were some major nerves under the surface. I hadn’t forgotten that there was something he wasn’t telling me. I had a feeling- and my feelings were generally spot on- that he was going to be explaining it all today.

We both stayed silent during the five-minute drive. It wasn’t awkward, though.

When we got out of the car, Paul seemed at a loss for what to do. I started walking towards the lake, and he followed.

“So?” I asked, sitting on a big tree that was lying on the sand.

“I don’t really know where to begin. But… what I’m about to tell you is secret, okay? You… even if you hate me afterwards, you can’t tell anyone.” Paul stared earnestly into my eyes.

“Of course not. And I don’t think I could hate you,” I added, blushing. He didn’t relax, though.

“We’re about to find out… Have you ever heard the legends of our tribe?”

I shook my head slowly. “Mom didn’t really talk about that kind of thing too often. I think it made her homesick.” And I could see why. I was beginning to love this place. Already, the thought of leaving was hard.

“That makes this a little bit more difficult. It’s said that our ancestors descend from wolves.”

“Wolves?” I repeated stupidly.

“Yeah. You know, like dogs, only bigger,” Paul joked weakly. I nodded slowly, failing completely to see where this was going.

“Well… okay. Promise me one more thing, please.” I looked expectantly at him. He seemed like he was in such agony, trying to explain this to me. “Hear me out. No matter how crazy it sounds, or how freaked out you are… just hear me out.”

“Of course,” I said. I was starting to feel nervous. What could be that bad?

“Okay. I’m a werewolf.”