Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

04

Finally, the bell rang, signaling the end of class. I rushed out of the room, afraid of the teacher flagging me down and reprimanding me for my lack of attention. I didn’t go anywhere though, instead pulling out my schedule. I thought I knew where I was going next, but I wanted to make sure. I didn’t want to be one of those people who shows up to the wrong class and doesn’t notice it until after roll call.

“Lydia!” Paul came up to me and was grinning. “What do you have next?”

I groaned. “Gym.”

“Hey, me, too! Do you not like gym?” I hadn’t yesterday, I thought. Most people had ignored me. When we had to pair up to volley a ball back and forth, I’d ended up with the teacher. It was humiliating, and not fun in the least.

Maybe now it would be better. “Not really,” I said, shrugging.

“Oh, come on. It’s fun. A class where you don’t have to think. No pop quizzes, no studying. Besides, I’m pretty good at just about every sport,” he added with an arrogant smile.

“You’re such a typical boy.” I hadn’t meant it seriously, but Paul’s smile faded.

“I’m not,” he said seriously, looking me dead in the eye.

“If that’s what you want to believe.” I smiled faintly to hide my discomfort. People were staring. Lots and lots of people. I looked at them apprehensively. It hadn’t been like this yesterday. Paul saw where my eyes were directed.

“Get used to it, Lydia. You and I, we’re going to be the talk of the school.”

“Why? What do you mean?” My stomach turned and my heart spazzed.

“What timing! I’ll see you in class,” Paul said, grinning, as he walked into the boy’s locker room.

It was hard to even pretend to be angry with Paul for long, I was so grateful to have him as a partner. Even if it did look as though he’d been completely serious when he said he was good at just about any sport. I, on the other hand, was embarrassing myself.

I hit myself as much as I hit the ball, which seemed to amuse Paul to no end. “Now I can see why you weren’t looking forward to this class,” he said cheekily. I just laughed with him. I was in a good enough mood that the honesty of his statement didn’t really bother me. Besides, how could I be angry at him when he was looking at me that way, like I was the only one in the room? Like I was the most interesting girl in the world?

I knew that would stop after the new-student novelty wore off, but I planned on enjoying it while I could.

Instead of eating alone today, as I had yesterday, Paul dragged me off to his table. He introduced me to his friends, and I was surprised to recognize Embry from yesterday.

“Hey, Lydia. It’s nice to see you again,” he said politely, shooting Paul a sly look.

“You know her?” Paul demanded. He looked... angry? “Why didn’t you tell me?” he asked.

“He showed me to the office yesterday morning.” Why would Embry have told Paul? But here Paul was, glaring at him.

“It’s no big deal,” Embry said in a soothing voice. I knew my confusion was clear on my face, but I didn’t bother to hide it. People tended to explain things more when they knew you were wondering about them.

I didn’t get any explanations, but a kindly looking girl named Kim gave me a sympathetic look. She was obviously dating the boy sitting next to her, who was named Jared. The way he looked at her, it was like she was all that mattered.

It was a little spooky for high school, but I couldn’t help but envy her that. I hoped to have someone half that devoted, someday.

Paul and Embry were done arguing now, and both were eating insanely fast. I couldn’t believe how much food all of the boys at the table seemed to be eating. “How are you all not three hundred pounds?” I asked, wonder evident in my voice.

They all laughed, and I wondered what the joke was. “We just burn a lot of calories,” Jared said, grinning.

“Doing what?”

“Running,” Paul said. He didn’t look like he was going to add any more, and I shut up about it.