Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

05

“Your friends are pretty nice,” I said to Paul as he walked me home. I didn’t know why, but after the final bell, Paul had raced up to my locker and waited, then simply joined me as I left the school. I decided not to question it. I liked his company.

Paul seemed genuinely pleased. “That’s great. Just wait until you meet Sam and Emily.” I raised an eyebrow. “They’re friends, too. But they don’t go to La Push High.”

“How do you know them?”

Paul looked uncomfortable. “Nowhere in particular. Where do you live, anyway?”

I noticed the obvious subject change, but I decided against commenting, for once. I pointed to my house, which we were nearing quickly.

Paul looked disappointed. “Do you have a lot to do tonight?” he asked.

“I… well, not really. Why?”

“I was just thinking that we should probably study for that physics test.”

My heart did as stupid, floppy move. “That’s actually a pretty good idea. I mean, who gives a test on the third day of school?” We walked up my driveway, and I fumbled with my key. My hands were trembling. I managed to get the door unlocked and pulled it open wide, letting him follow me in.

“My Dad’s not home, but he won’t mind.” Paul nodded nervously. I decided that, though it wasn’t the most comfortable place to work, we should go to the kitchen. I didn’t want to take him up to my room and let him get any wrong ideas.

I dropped my bag on my chair and headed to the pantry, fishing out a couple of bags of chips. If the way he’d eaten earlier was any indication, snacks would not go unappreciated.

I’d just sat down when my phone started ringing. I answered, shooting Paul an apologetic look. He didn’t seem to mind, though he was staring at me. I looked away, feeling a blush heat my cheeks.

“Lydia? Were you even planning on calling me?” Christopher sounded bored and lonely. It made me feel extra guilty for what I was about to do.

“I’m sorry, Chris, but I really can’t talk right now. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? I’m going to stay home and we’ll have the day to ourselves.” His flight was getting in at noon, so that wasn’t exactly true, but neither of us pointed this out.

“What’s going on?”

“Nothing, Chris. Really.”

“Fine. But I expect muffins. Blueberry.” I grinned. He was a sucker for my cooking.

“You got it. Love you.” I hung up and looked over at Paul, who was still watching me.
“Sorry about that,” I said uncomfortably.

“Wait, you’re not going to be at school tomorrow?” Paul asked.

“I guess not. I haven’t seen Chris in over a month, and he’s coming home.” Why did I feel like apologizing?

He looked upset. “But then I won’t see you,” he said.

Oh, swoon. I reminded myself I’d only known him for two days.

It didn’t feel like two days.