Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

07

I woke up to a ringing noise. “Come in,” Chris called in a hushed voice from the couch. The door opened, but I kept my eyes shut.

“Who are you?” Chris asked. When he talked, his chest buzzed. It kind of tickled. I wasn’t going to be able to stay ‘asleep’ for long.

“I’m Paul.” I sat straight up. Head rush.

Chris glanced at me and raised an eyebrow. Paul looked amused. I blushed. “What are you doing here?” I asked, my voice rough from sleep. Paul held up his backpack.

“I brought you the work you missed today. There wasn’t all that much, since it was only the third day of school, but…”

Aww, how sweet. “Thanks,” I mumbled, refusing to meet his eye or Chris’. The room was quiet and very awkward. I finally looked up, and saw that Paul was eyeing the muffins. There were still at least a couple dozen left.

When I went all out for my brother, I went all out.

“You can have a muffin, if you’d like. As a reward for collecting my work for me,” I offered. He grinned and took one.

“Wow, you’re a great cook.”

I grinned. “That’s what they tell me.”

“Hey, I haven’t checked out my room yet. I’m going to go unpack, alright, Lyd? But I’m leaving my door open,” he added as a warning to Paul, shooting him an intimidating glare. Paul just smiled innocently.

As soon as Chris was upstairs, Paul came over to where I was sitting on the couch. “So that’s the brother,” he said. I shot him a look that clearly said ‘duh’. Paul shrugged.

“You really are a great cook. Where did you learn?”

“My mom taught me before she died. She used to like to say we’d open a restaurant together someday.”

“Hey, I’m sorry,” Paul said, sounding genuinely upset. I looked up at him and smiled.

“Don’t be. I’m alright, and that’s a happy memory. I don’t want to stop remembering just because she’s gone.”

“You’re amazing,” Paul said. He seemed so sincere.

“If you’re trying to flatter me into giving you another muffin, it’s working. Go on.” Paul grinned again, a quick flash of white teeth as he leaned over and took another.

“I missed you today,” he said over a mouth full of muffin. I was surprised.

“You’ve known me for three days, Paul,” I pointed out.

“I know I have.” I was at a loss for words.

Good thing I didn’t need to say anything. A moment later, he continued, “Are you busy this Friday?” My heart stumbled.

“Probably not. Why?”

“I was thinking we could hang out.”

“Oh… well, I guess we could.” Paul beamed.

“Excellent. Well… I have to go,” he said, looking like he hated that he did.

“Are you sure?” I asked, trying to keep the disappointment out of my voice.

He smiled a little, obviously taking pleasure in my unwillingness for him to leave. “Yeah. But I’ll see you tomorrow, right?” I nodded mutely. He kissed my cheek and walked out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm SO sorry about not posting this last night. I was unexpectedly spending the night at not-my-home without my laptop, so it was kind of impossible.